Kit nibs

TINman

I have made only one turned fountain pen at a weekend seminar at my local Lee Valley Tools and enjoyed it so much that I've been bugging the seminar teacher to give me a private session because I have a few idea on how to make my next pen special and as non-kit-like as I can with my limited experience.

My first question is about nibs. What, in your opinion, would be the finest nib to use for pen turning. I'm not that impressed with the kit nib. It's got to be more than just a pretty pen.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• Ruaidhri

• TINman

• Red Devils forever

I have made only one turned fountain pen at a weekend seminar at my local Lee Valley Tools and enjoyed it so much that I've been bugging the seminar teacher to give me a private session because I have a few idea on how to make my next pen special and as non-kit-like as I can with my limited experience.

My first question is about nibs. What, in your opinion, would be the finest nib to use for pen turning. I'm not that impressed with the kit nib. It's got to be more than just a pretty pen.

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully others will chime in, but personally I use whatever is handy :)

I wouldn't be quick to consign kit-pen nibs to the bin though. Some of the German made nibs are very sweet and with a little smoothing etc can be really nice writers.

There's also a tendency to 'look down' on pen kits - again, with decent workmanship and a little imagination, they can become rather nice pens.

Enjoy your work :)

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

If you are going to make fountain pens, then you really oughta get good at controlling flow and smoothing nibs.

The pens that come from Craft Supplies are usually pretty good, and only need some smoothing. The nibs made by Berea usually need a little more work to make them nice and smooth.

And you can always buy solid 14k nibs.

http://www.turchetta.com/goldennib/

The pens that come from Craft Supplies are usually pretty good, and only need some smoothing. The nibs made by Berea usually need a little more work to make them nice and smooth.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the nibs that come with pens from either Berea or Craft Supplies. I have been making, selling and using these for years. They are generally butter-smooth right out of the box. Occaissionally one needs a little help, but not often. These can also be returned for a new nib. They also can be reworked by RIchard Binder, Deb Kinney and other nibmeisters into whatever you want them to be.

Larry Korn

Virginia Beach, VA

"An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert Heinlein, "The roads Must Roll"

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

To add to what Larry has said.... and we both have turned more pens than we care to remember....

The nibs supplied by both CSU and Berea come from the same place....

The are produced by the Shanghai Nib Company in China... despite what the nib says they are not German made nibs...

The nibs are marked Iridium Point Germany..... but they are not German made nibs...

I had a long conversation with the person who used to be in charge of customer service for CSU about 2 yrs ago about this issue.

Prior to that I had the nibs on 6 pens (from 3 suppliers, CSU, Berea and PSI) examined by a couple of different people who know their stuff. All agreed that the nibs were not German made..

Giovanni Abrate, who has extensive experience in Chinese pens and importing from China, said he compared them to some of the higher end Chinese pens he was importing and the nibs were identical to the nibs produced by Shanghai Nib Company... I have no reason to doubt that any of these people would have reason to lie about it.

When I broached this subject with CSU Customer Service, they would only admit that the nibs come with the pens from the Chinese factory that makes all the parts for the pens. They did state that they DID NOT get the nibs from Germany and that even the replacement nibs that they carry came from China.

As for the smoothness of the nibs out of the box, remember that even high end factory nibs are not always perfect out of the box (that is why Richard tunes every pen he sells). I have found, for the most part, that the nibs that come with our pens have smooth nibs. The few that have not been perfect where generally smoothed with a bit of work using my brown paper bag system.... rarely have I ever had to resort to further work on one of these nibs.

The gold nibs being sold by nibs.com are the same nibs sold by Anthony Turchetta and are being supplied to nibs.com by Anthony. BTW, Anthony is less expensive also... you can tell him I sent you.... He is a friend... although I have no financial association with him...

As a custom pen maker, I will not send out a pen to any of my customers until I am absolutely sure that the pen writes right (apologies to Richard Binder for stealing his tag line). If you are going to make custom fountain pens, make sure that you know how to tune a nib.

Edited by OldGriz

Great information!

The kit Lee Valley provides does come from Berea and, I was surprised at how nice the nib was, save for a bit of scratchiness.

OldGriz, I'll check out Mr. Turchetta, thanks. These pens I want to make are strictly for my own pleasure (On account of I am greedy)

How does one tune a nib and,if you don't mind divulging your trade secret, would be your brown bag system be?

Great information!

The kit Lee Valley provides does come from Berea and, I was surprised at how nice the nib was, save for a bit of scratchiness.

OldGriz, I'll check out Mr. Turchetta, thanks. These pens I want to make are strictly for my own pleasure (On account of I am greedy)

How does one tune a nib and,if you don't mind divulging your trade secret, would be your brown bag system be?

May I suggest that "trade secret" is a term we need like a hole in the head? :ltcapd: :roflmho:

There is a strong tradition amongst proper turners of sharing methods and techniques (NOT design ideas though :))

Most turning techniques have been around for centuries so feel free to ask - it's all out there, just that some of the more esoteric stuff is a bit harder to find :D

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Would this go for the kits sold @ Woodcraft as well then?? I've only made 8 or so, (of which I got to keep 1 - my everyday orange/gold acrylic writer with PR Tanzanite), for me/friends until I feel they are good enough to sell. Seems like as soon as I get one finished, it goes flying out of my hands into some one of my family's never to be seen by me again. :bunny01: Well, until somebody needs more ink anyway!! :rolleyes: I've got another one started for me that'll hafta be kept hidden - a "Purle Haze" acrylic I plan on using with the PR DC Super Show Blue - my Mom's already swiped 2 I made and wants one close to this blank so...

The only "problem" I've seen so far with any of these kits is a very light bit of scratch on the 45 deg upstroke - quite quicky fixed with the ole MicroMesh 12000 - gotta LOVE that stuff.

Thanks for any info - (now, if I could only get to the newbies page and figure out what to put about me in there!!)

Mike

Edited by Red Devils forever

"Never mind the mind of a madman!!" - Sir Alex Ferguson

Would this go for the kits sold @ Woodcraft as well then?? I've only made 8 or so, (of which I got to keep 1 - my everyday orange/gold acrylic writer with PR Tanzanite), for me/friends until I feel they are good enough to sell. Seems like as soon as I get one finished, it goes flying out of my hands into some one of my family's never to be seen by me again. :bunny01: Well, until somebody needs more ink anyway!! :rolleyes: I've got another one started for me that'll hafta be kept hidden - a "Purle Haze" acrylic I plan on using with the PR DC Super Show Blue - my Mom's already swiped 2 I made and wants one close to this blank so...

The only "problem" I've seen so far with any of these kits is a very light bit of scratch on the 45 deg upstroke - quite quicky fixed with the ole MicroMesh 12000 - gotta LOVE that stuff.

Thanks for any info - (now, if I could only get to the newbies page and figure out what to put about me in there!!)

Mike

Yes it does Mike,

There are actually only three importers of pen hardware in the US, CSU, Berea and PSI. Everyone else is buying from them and reselling. The kits you get from Woodcraft are imported by Berea (I believe) and you will actually find the same kit a lot cheaper from them or from Arizona Silhouette if you buy online.

Mike

Yes it does Mike,

There are actually only three importers of pen hardware in the US, CSU, Berea and PSI. Everyone else is buying from them and reselling. The kits you get from Woodcraft are imported by Berea (I believe) and you will actually find the same kit a lot cheaper from them or from Arizona Silhouette if you buy online.

Mike

Yes it does Mike,

Mike

Yes it does Mike,

Tom - How difficult would it be to use vintage nibs? Pelikan nibs? OMAS nibs? I am trying to learn why you have to use the kit nibs.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

Tom - How difficult would it be to use vintage nibs? Pelikan nibs? OMAS nibs? I am trying to learn why you have to use the kit nibs.

The biggest problem is finding a nib that will fit the feed on those pens.... the feed and nib on these pens screw in like a Pelikan, but are not the same thread and the Pelikan nib and feed do not have the stud to pierce the cartridge or convertor...

I have found that some sizes of Skyline nibs will work... but they are really hard to come by.... and even then you have to go through a couple to get just the right one....

I do have access to solid gold nibs, but unfortunately only in medium width...

I have an extra steel Pelikan nib and will do some experimenting...

Mike

Yes it does Mike,

Thanks and THANKS!! Cheaper is almost always better - I'll be checking into changing my "supply house!"

"Never mind the mind of a madman!!" - Sir Alex Ferguson

• 3 months later...

I also got that on both the kit nibs I used (Lee Valley - I think their nibs are from Berea, from what I read?), too, but it was pretty bad on one of the nibs, very scratchy.

I got the scratch off by doing figure-8s on a brown paper bag, but one of the pens still has a slight issue with bad starting on a fast angled upstroke. It's most noticeable when starting a word with a lowercase T, it misses on the upstroke on roughly 1 out of 10 words that start with a T, and feels very scratchy for that one stroke.

Luckily it's not the pen I gave to my girlfriend, that one writes great. Do I just need to keep going with the brown bag, or do I need some "Micromesh"? The bag doesn't seem to be doing much after it took the initial scratchiness off.

In addition to Anthony's 14k nibs, Lou Metcalf also sells 18k nibs for a very reasonable price, www.heritagepens.com. The customers that I have sold pens to with the 18k nibs have been very pleased.

Totally agree with OldGriz in that the nibs are not made in Germany.

I saw a glossary of pen terms at some point in the past, and the term IPG was listed. The definition was Iridium Point Germany, and somewhat of a derogatory term for nibs bearing that imprint, but made in Asia, not in Germany as the nib would lead you to believe.

Legality? Not being a lawyer, I believe it is legal, but certainly pushing the ethical envelope. It says simply "Germany", and not "Made in Germany".

My comments about the ethics of such markings are directed towards the manufacturers of the kits themselves. The guys and gals who buy the kits and make them into pens are pretty much stuck with the nibs supplied.

Scott Meyer

Only One Creations

Creating artistic handcrafted pens of all types for special gifts, collectors, and corporations.

• 1 year later...