• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen2paper

• OldGriz

• James P

• penpalace

I've never been to a pen show before. This is only about 10 minutes from my house in Troy.

All the other pen shows I've seen mentioned here seem to be a minimum of a five hour drive.

URL with specifics: http://www.michpens.com/html/michigan_pen_show.html

planning on it.. 1st timer too.

do you attend the MI pen club meetings?

p2p

I might be going. Not far from me. I've never been to a pen show, but this could be a good "first timer" pen show. I considered the D.C. show, but it sounded pretty overwhelming for someone who had never been to a pen show.

Regards,

Ray

I would be surprised if you cannot find the resaccing supplies that you are looking for.

I have been to the Michigan show before and it is a nice show, especially if you have never been to one before. Perfect size so it isn't overwhelming. Great vendors like Pam Braun, variety of new and vintage pens, as well as supplies and ephemera.

The show is well run by the Michigan club.

I live a couple of hours away here in London, Ontario. Our pen club (Southwestern Ontario Pen Club - SWOPC) is trying to organize a car of 3-4 people to go, as we have done in the past.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

I would be surprised if you cannot find the resaccing supplies that you are looking for.

I have been to the Michigan show before and it is a nice show, especially if you have never been to one before. Perfect size so it isn't overwhelming. Great vendors like Pam Braun, variety of new and vintage pens, as well as supplies and ephemera.

The show is well run by the Michigan club.

Thanks for replying... yes meeting Pam is one reason I'm glad to be attending... also hoping the gentleman from Pear Tree from Ann Arbor will be there.

also was it you that found a paper called white-lines? If so could you bring a sheet or the pad so we could see it?

Just ordered a bunch of the thin paper pads from the online CO company.

Thanks,

p2p

I just submitted my registration form - I'm planning to take 3 tables to fill up with pens, ink (LOTS of ink) and paper and journals. :thumbup:

I've been feeling really cramped with two tables at previous shows. I hope I've got enough room now!

James

PS to P2P: You've obviously never met me if you're still calling me a "gentleman!" :)

Edited by James P

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

I'm all booked for the show as of yesterday, and very much looking forward to it. I've never been to the show before, but I've heard good things!

Pearce.

Michigan isn't working into our schedule this year, however, I urge all of you who are in the area to go! It's a great show, very hospitable and the Michigan Pen Collectors Club works hard to make it enjoyable. We just sent up a bunch of pen magazines for their pens for kids program, so if you have a young one with you, be sure to ask at the registration desk for your freebie!

Sam

do you attend the MI pen club meetings?

p2p

I haven't. They seem a bit irregular and haven't fit my schedule.

also was it you that found a paper called white-lines? If so could you bring a sheet or the pad so we could see it?

Thanks,

p2p

Hi, yes it was me that posted the Whitelines paper.

If I get there, I will have one of their notebooks with me because it has all of my notes on vintage pens. So, if you see a middle aged man walking around with a whitelines notebook, just say hello, it will probably be me.

Hope I make it and see you there as well.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

I'm all booked for the show as of yesterday, and very much looking forward to it. I've never been to the show before, but I've heard good things!

Pearce.

attending for the 1st time, obviously I can't tell you about the show... but the surrounding suburban area is very nice... very safe, tip...do not speed in Troy, do take a drive on Woodward on Saturday evening to see the classic cars cruising, (as well as tech execs trying out new models)... if weather is nice, gearheads will likely be out in force using up the last of their 6 months on-road insurance. Peabody's in Birmingham is nice for dinner...

If anyone likes Thai, there's a great "tiny" restaurant across from Hotel site, by Starbucks.

Somerset Mall is a couple of miles away. Just north out Rochester way, cider mills will be running. Meadowbrook Hall, the Dodge mansion by Oakland U has tea & tours. Could be the weekend also of Arts n Apples? in Rochester, noted in top 5 of st festivals in US. Farther away down to water front, the drive along Jefferson is nice, can tour Edsel Ford House... & Pewabic Pottery... DIA art museum, may be reopened from remodel by then too... though a little farther, Greenfield Villiage, now call the Henry Ford would be much enjoyed by all... lots pen folks who enjoy of RR & airplane history.... Wright Bros bike shop is there.. as is, TA Edisons.

On the wayback from Dearborn, you can stop at IKEA in Canton, & pick up some Skrits too;)

p2p

best lunchtime sandwich deli is 1 mile away, Long Lake, & Livernois. Breakaway Deli... & they will make a large delivery!

(toasted, not grilled #10:)

Michigan isn't working into our schedule this year, however, I urge all of you who are in the area to go! It's a great show, very hospitable and the Michigan Pen Collectors Club works hard to make it enjoyable. We just sent up a bunch of pen magazines for their pens for kids program, so if you have a young one with you, be sure to ask at the registration desk for your freebie!

Sam

Oh am sorry to hear this! Was looking forward to meeting you!... always enjoy inky greetings, & your interesting finds, reports on trips..

So nice of you to think of the children too... they are the future caretakers of the treasure we're accumulating today.

W/so much focus on science/math/tech today, history & socialogy getting short shrift... dropping scores in those area don't seem to be sounding any alarms.

I esp enjoy seeing families out together, with parents cultivating interest, developing appreciation for fine old things.

Take care.... hope to see you Next time :)

p2p

Thanks,

p2p

Hi, yes it was me that posted the Whitelines paper.

If I get there, I will have one of their notebooks with me because it has all of my notes on vintage pens. So, if you see a middle aged man walking around with a whitelines notebook, just say hello, it will probably be me.

Hope I make it and see you there as well.

ok... if a mesmerized by all the pens, dazed little old lady bumps into you, that'll be me ;)

just hope I can find my glasses by then, so I can see you holding the notebook, chuckle..

3 tables to fill up with pens, ink (LOTS of ink) and paper and journals. :thumbup:

James

PS to P2P: You've obviously never met me if you're still calling me a "gentleman!" :)

slim budget, but looking for ink, so will come visit your tables... & now am prepared in advance for "whatever";)

btw... is the velo notation for velocipede? (sp)

Pearce.

attending for the 1st time, obviously I can't tell you about the show... but the surrounding suburban area is very nice... very safe, tip...do not speed in Troy, do take a drive on Woodward on Saturday evening to see the classic cars cruising, (as well as tech execs trying out new models)... if weather is nice, gearheads will likely be out in force using up the last of their 6 months on-road insurance. Peabody's in Birmingham is nice for dinner...

If anyone likes Thai, there's a great "tiny" restaurant across from Hotel site, by Starbucks.

Somerset Mall is a couple of miles away. Just north out Rochester way, cider mills will be running. Meadowbrook Hall, the Dodge mansion by Oakland U has tea & tours. Could be the weekend also of Arts n Apples? in Rochester, noted in top 5 of st festivals in US. Farther away down to water front, the drive along Jefferson is nice, can tour Edsel Ford House... & Pewabic Pottery... DIA art museum, may be reopened from remodel by then too... though a little farther, Greenfield Villiage, now call the Henry Ford would be much enjoyed by all... lots pen folks who enjoy of RR & airplane history.... Wright Bros bike shop is there.. as is, TA Edisons.

On the wayback from Dearborn, you can stop at IKEA in Canton, & pick up some Skrits too;)

p2p

best lunchtime sandwich deli is 1 mile away, Long Lake, & Livernois. Breakaway Deli... & they will make a large delivery!

(toasted, not grilled #10:)

Wow that is a lot to take in. On the other hand because I'm close enough that it's not too long a drive I'm just planning on staying the one night, but needless to say if my budget is blown there certainly sounds like there's enough to do! It also helps that I do know a few of the other dealers that plan to be at the show, catching up with friends is just another great reason to come to a pen show!

Pearce.

Hi Pearce, you going down the night before, or the morning of?? I am cleared to go from SWMBO, and have yet to sort out a ride.

Might go with Tamer, but need to talk to him on this. If not, let me know when you are heading down, maybe we can work out something.

Cheers,

Sean

PenRx is no longer in business.

OK. Now I'm sure I'm going. Can't let you guys keep all the fun to yourselves.

Regards,

Ray

...Our pen club (Southwestern Ontario Pen Club - SWOPC) is trying to organize a car of 3-4 people to go, as we have done in the past.

Dragging the thread slightly off topic...there's a South Western Ontario Pen Club?? How did I miss that? :headsmack: It's off to google to look them up...

Rick.

Life Is Not A Rehearsal.

Our Pen Club: http://londonpenclub.com

Our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254419004945988/