Sailor Nibs versus Pelikan Binderized (or other)

PelikanPenman

I have been reading a lot lately about people that have Pelikans and Sailors and they love the Sailor nibs, but prefer the Pelikan piston.

So the logical question is, does the Pelikan nib that has gone off to the nibmeister, and the standard is the Binder nibs, compare to the Sailor nibs?

I have a M805 with a Binder XXF nib that I absolutely love, but I have not had the opportunity, yet, to try a Sailor, hopefully in October.

So all you that have both a Sailor and a nibmeister Pelikan, which is better or how close are they?

Cheers.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• omasfan

• PelikanPenman

• Wizergig

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reading a lot lately about people that have Pelikans and Sailors and they love the Sailor nibs, but prefer the Pelikan piston.

So the logical question is, does the Pelikan nib that has gone off to the nibmeister, and the standard is the Binder nibs, compare to the Sailor nibs?

I have a M805 with a Binder XXF nib that I absolutely love, but I have not had the opportunity, yet, to try a Sailor, hopefully in October.

So all you that have both a Sailor and a nibmeister Pelikan, which is better or how close are they?

Cheers.

You can't compare a factory nib to one that has been worked on by a nibmeister. The Sailor factory nibs are probably some of the best in the industry... but even these can be made better in the hands of someone like Richard Binder.....

The factories just do not have the time to spend on the nibs that a nibmeister does...

I would concur with what OldGriz said. Yet there is a difference. A nib that has been worked properly is like greased skis on a sheet of glass. I would not classify my stock Sailor as this, yet there is just something about it, that I love to write with them. Somehow I wonder occasionally if it is not the feed system more than the nib. The sailor never skips, or starves for ink no matter how fast I write. I really enjoy my Pelikan pens, and feel a sense of quality when I hold them, and use them. It is like Sailor took it to the next level though in a way that I can't explain clearly.

"LIFE………….is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What A Ride!"

Tom,

You are not supposed to put logic into this.

The reason I raised it, is the Sailor nibs are put up as head and shoulders above others, so can a factory nib be made as good as or better than the Sailors. See where I was going with this now. I am trying to get a feel for just how good these nibs are.

Cheers

(P.S. are you holding the MT Gereatic comment against me?)

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

You can't compare a factory nib to one that has been worked on by a nibmeister. The Sailor factory nibs are probably some of the best in the industry... but even these can be made better in the hands of someone like Richard Binder.....

The factories just do not have the time to spend on the nibs that a nibmeister does...

Well, as a general statement this might be true on the average. Although the two Sailors that I have had (one has been sold) were wonderful right out of the box. I have custom nibs from Binder, Mottishaw and Kinney, and I can truly say that especially the Sailor F nib on my 1911 is absolutely on a par with the individual custom work: extremely tactile and sensitive to the lightest touch. This doesn't speak agains the nib craftspeople but speaks in favor of Sailor.

I would say that there are factory nibs that are on a level with custom nibs albeit only few.

, and the standard is the Binder nibs,

I am not sure if there is ONE standard. Some people find Mottishaw best, some Binder, some Minuskin, and some Kinney. I'd say they are all on a similarly high level of craftsmanship yet each of them has their fine differences which make them interesting.

and some people have said they have had multiple bad experiences with Sailor nibs.

And then you'll see a thread where most agree that Delta has incredibly smooth nibs, and a few months later, a thread where most agree that they're usually toothy... I'm paying less and less attention to what I read about nib smoothness. It seems to me that the variations are large and the sample sizes are small, and maybe there are some paper, ink, technique, preference issues just to muck it up further.

I think a fair comparison can only be made between a Nagahara-tuned Sailor standard or special nib and the nibs from the independent Nibmeisters. ;)

Tom,

(P.S. are you holding the MT Gereatic comment against me?)

Of course not..... The Wet Squad does not hold grudges......

BUT, you might want to start sleeping with one eye open and have someone watching your back :rolleyes: :rolleyes: