Help re-installing pressure bar

njoyingaz

I have just started the simplest restoration procedures to get started on restoring my own older pens. With six successful re-sacs, I have run into a problem with a 1939 Sheaffer Senior Streamline Balance. The pressure bar pulled out without whatever holds it in place at the end of the barrel. A flashlight has not helped me see much. I have cleaned the bar and have tried to re-insert it and catch the little hooks on the pressure bar onto whatever is down in the barrel. No luck yet. :blush:

I need help knowing what to do next. If there is a trick to getting it re-hooked into the barrel, I am hoping someone will know on the forum.

If I have to remove the other piece still in there, I need suggestions on getting it out without damaging it.

Thanks.

...Lee in AZ

[url=http://home.comcast.net/~lgschamp/pens/sheafferredrepair.jpg]Photo of pen disassembled.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whv

• njoyingaz

Top Posters In This Topic

subject to confirmation with 'da book':

i have not replaced a j-bar in a sheaffer, but have done many an esterbrook (seems the thin metal of the estie's bar is prone to dissolving at the bend of the j) and a number of british pens.

the bar in your photo seems to be lacking most of the short arm of the J. replacement pressure and j-bars are available from martin at the woodbin in various sizes - measure yours for an idea. once the new bar is in hand, be sure that all of the pieces of the old one are out of the pen. flashlights are too big as a rule - i use an led light, the kind you put on your keychain. a dental pick or the like can be a good help. measure the new bar against the depth of the barrel (or the old bar) and be sure to cut the long arm of the J so that it is about 3/4" shorter than the barrel, if not more. you do not want the end near the nipple when you re-insert the section because it will work against the sac too much. smooth and polish the end of the long arm, whether you cut it or not. again, any sharp corner, edge or roughness here will accelerate wear on the sac.

when satisfied things are as smooth as can be, touch a toothpick to your silicon grease and apply to the flat of the bar where the end of the lever will ride. don't use petroleum products here - they do not treat rubber very well.

align the long arm of the J with the lever and insert into the barrel. a long thin needlenose plier will help. better yet, victor chen sells a really slick j-bar insertion tool with a notch on the end to help with alignment. if all went well, you should be ready to re-install the section (assuming you have replaced the sac by now and let it dry for a few days).

enjoy

wayne

things get better with age -- i'm approaching magnificent