Dunhill Sidecar Review

Excoriar

First Impression:

Simple, but classic design.

Appearance:

Blue with silver trim. Nice color combinations. I like the monochromatic color scheme offered instead of the usual gold.

Design:

Nice classic design. I do like the blue. But a bit thin for my liking. Girth is close to the Parker Frontier or Graf von Faber Castell Grenadilla that I have.

Nib:

18k M Nib, but writes like a bigger nib. I’m not sure if it’s the combination of the ink and the paper, as the ink runs on the paper. So I'm guessing a very wet writer, but a very smooth writer too. Tried the pen again today and realized that the pen has a small flexy nib and I am able to get some good line variations almost to the point of my Pilot Super 300. I was very surprised as I have never noticed this before, but the nib is no where nearly as flexible as the Pilot. I guess the pen writes wet and broad for a reason.

Filling System:

Converter or Cartridge. Box came with a box containing 10 cartridges. The converter is screwed in, so when trying to clean don't pull on it. Turning it will yield much better results.

Cost and Value:

I got it cheap. So I guess the value is pretty good. Comes with a 2 year warranty.

Conclusion:

Overall a nice pen, but the nib does worry me as it writes much wider than I expected. I’ll have to experiment and see if it’s the paper or a combination of the paper and ink.

Leo

* Updated the nib section.

post-4920-1187056331_thumb.jpg

post-4920-1187056341_thumb.jpg

post-4920-1187056350_thumb.jpg

Edited by Excoriar

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Idiopathos

• Classics

• mr goldfink

• Excoriar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, now I found this bottle of De Atramentis Rembrandt in the box, perhaps the gentleman we bought it from decided to throw us a freebie? I tested out the Sidecar with this ink by dipping it and the ink does not run, resulting in a sliiightly thicker line than my other M-Nibs. So I do believe that it is the ink which is causing the nib to run like it did. Time to find some good ink.

I have a Dunhill Sidecar. It's actually a very nice pen, and though not long when capped it's quite good to write with unposted as the cap is short and the barrel relatively long. The medium nib is typical of a European fountain pen, so relatively broad when compared to a Japanese nib, though not unusually so.

• 3 weeks later...

The nib and ink feed are Namiki, aren't they? Indeed, one of my Dunhills came with a Pilot (aka Namiki, of course) converter.

My experience of the Sidecar is that, yes, it does write 'wide and wet' (with Diamine), which I've now come to like a lot. The nib is interesting to use and produces distinctive lines.

I find the pen very well made, as all Dunhill pens are. It certainly rivals the big names. The engine-turned metal section is practical to use and the pen as a whole has good heft.

I look forward to Dunhill's next fountain pen. (And am trying to find another AD2000, because mine is such a good pen.)

I bought a Dunhill Sidecar as an impulse buy and then worried if my need for instant gratification had led me astray.

It is very substantially built. I like the fact that the converter screws in. Mine is also a medium nib and floats the ink out nicely. It is a smooth writer and that was part of the attraction.

All-in-all; A very nice pen IMHO.

I missed this review when it was posted, glad it was bumped back. I like the look of this pen, if I ever see one pre-owned I might consider it. I'm just not wild about nibs that write wider lines than indicated or expected. A canidate for nib surgery if I got one. Thanks for the review.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Good review! How do you like the knurled section?

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I generally like my Dunhill Sidecar. I found the ink flow to be quite herky-jerky. I also found the the medium nib to be a bit wide (which I like). I also love the machined section. After about a year of trying to like the nib, I sent it to Greg Minuskin to be spruced up. Now I really like the pen!

Thanks for the review! I've been meaning to look into one of these but had no idea what they were like.

"Inside his cardboard box, Greg heated a dented can of Spaghetti-O's over a small fire made from discarded newspapers, then cracked open his last can of shoplifted generic beer to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his embarkation on a career as a freelance writer." --Lawrence Person

I tested the Dunhill Sidecar for a few days because I want to buy one. My impressions: the nib was to wet for me. The rest of the pen was OK, I like it very much, but the nib....

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the interesting review on the Sidecar, I have been interested in this pen for a while. Thanks for the heads up on the medium nib, I will make mine a fine.

Bill

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

I agree with the comments that have been made. I have the tortoise colour with a medium nib and it is a wet writer. I am not sure that the line is any wider than a typical medium - I think that depends on your frame of reference (European or Japanese). It is a good pen for lighter colour inks. For example, I first tried it with Herbin Poussier de Lune and it showed very well on paper.

The pen is well built and does have a nice heft despite its relative "thinness".

A very good looking pen (clean lines, in the shape of a torpedo) and good value.

Overall, I am extremely happy and quite impressed with it. So much so that I am interested in picking up an AD2000.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The nib and ink feed are Namiki, aren't they? Indeed, one of my Dunhills came with a Pilot (aka Namiki, of course) converter.

My experience of the Sidecar is that, yes, it does write 'wide and wet' (with Diamine), which I've now come to like a lot. The nib is interesting to use and produces distinctive lines.

I find the pen very well made, as all Dunhill pens are. It certainly rivals the big names. The engine-turned metal section is practical to use and the pen as a whole has good heft.

I look forward to Dunhill's next fountain pen. (And am trying to find another AD2000, because mine is such a good pen.)

Since writing the above in early September, the Sidecar has, by early December, become my 'grab-it-and-go' pen. Its weight gives it the feeling of being robust, which encounters with the edges of desks, lamps, computer screens and two floors confirm.

Its converter has converted me (ouch!) to converters. It - a Pilot, of course - is capacious, easy to fill full and just works well.

The cap stays capped and does not unscrew in my pocket. It also posts well, because of the metal ring on the barrel. The edge of the cap is metal-lined and looks split-resistant.

The nib has developed, as new nibs do, and is smoother and a little more flexible, although it had both of these qualities fresh from the box. It provides a well-coloured line, with some shape on demand.

The issues of wetness and width have disappeared. I ascribe this to two reasons. 'Diamine' - for me, a slow ink, compared to, for example, 'Jentle'. And the width just seems narrower now the flow is slower.

If I see another Sidecar at a reasonable price, I shall certainly buy it.

• 1 month later...

The Sidecar is by far the wettest writer I own. I write mostly with Pelikan Royal Blue. I like the fit and finish of the pen very much. However, mine really likes to unscrew itself in my pocket, in my briefcase, etc.

It's staying home to play now.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

The Sidecar is by far the wettest writer I own. I write mostly with Pelikan Royal Blue. I like the fit and finish of the pen very much. However, mine really likes to unscrew itself in my pocket, in my briefcase, etc.

It's staying home to play now.

I've never had any problems with the cap staying on, but the nib/converter mech does come slightly unscrewed from the body. I find it prefers either omas sepia or aurora black for ink.

Chris

I wasn't interested in a sidecar until this review was bumped. I realized today that what I considered kind of boring in design is simply vintage, and very much like a vintage pen I've got.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

• 4 weeks later...

I am bothered by the fact whether or not the cap "easily unscrews" when the pen is stored in pocket or briefcase.

Two people gave different comments : IDIOPATHOS and FLASHVICTOR state it doesn't and STEPHY mentions it as a "weak point" of this pen.

It might have to do with the (male) thread between barrel and cap, which depending on the finish or version of the pen is either in "resin" or (plated) metal (brass ?). Could you please comment on that point ?

I have a "mini sidecar rollerball" with both male and female threads in plated metal; I have the habit of firmly thightening screw caps and have no bad experiences about it coming lose on this pen.

Thanks in advance for your comments !

Luc