The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Fountain Pen Glossary

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gerry

Gerry

Lake Louise

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2007 - 17:22

There are many times a Glossary is useful, and since a very comprehensive and excellent one already exists, rather than toiling away ourselves to put together a lesser one, we have obtained permission to link to it by the owner - Richard Binder..

Richard's Glossary

Just click and enjoy... Perhaps bring a coffee, as you may stay longer than you think... thumbup.gif

Best regards,

Gerry

PS: Although this post was edited after Richard's following post - Richards contains more important information. I was just fixing a basically broken link - it now goes to the A's... Richard's suggestions allow specific references. As always, we thank Richard for being so generous with his knowledge and advice.

Edited by Gerry, 24 June 2009 - 18:59.

Sponsored Content

#2 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:07

I frequently direct others to information on my site by emailing (or posting) links to reference pages or even to specific glossary entries. The URIs can get a bit cumbersome, though, and that tends to discourage others who might want to "pay it forward." So I've fixed it by developing a way to abbreviate URIs in the reference section. For example, here's the "standard" URI for my profile of the Parker "51":

http://www.richardsp.../51_profile.htm

My new design lets you get to the same place by entering this instead:

http://www.richardsp...refp=51_profile

The refp keyword tells the site that you're looking for a page in the ref_info section, and of course the .htm part is always there, so why should you have to type it in every time?

It gets better in the glossary. Suppose you want to send someone to the entry on maki-e. You used to have to type this URI:

http://www.richardsp...ry/M.htm#maki_e

Now all you need to type is this:

http://www.richardsp...m/?gloss=maki_e

So how do you find out what the label for any given glossary entry is? Simple. Find the entry and position your mouse pointer over the term's name. Hold still for a few seconds, and your browser should display a tool tip giving the entry's label. (If you've turned tool tips off, of course, you could wait a long time...)

To make it easier to get where you really want to go, every glossary entry (722 at this writing) has a label and a title, even if it's just a "see <something else>" entry.

I hope you'll find my reference information easier than ever to use. Enjoy!

Edited by Richard, 12 January 2008 - 05:09.

Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

#3 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• 4,392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:40

Fot them as likes to keep track of these kinds of things, my glossary continues to grow. As of today, May 13, 2010, it contains 902 headwords (main entries), of which 57 have multiple subentries. There are 580 illustrations, of which 267 were created specifically for the glossary.
Posted Image

#4 Gerry

Gerry

Lake Louise

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:19

Thank you Richard, it is appreciated, I assure you.

Regards,

Gerry

#5 eeyorespen

eeyorespen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:10

This is awesome :notworthy1: Thank You Richard!

#6 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• 4,392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2011 - 17:40

I'm back. My glossary has passed what may be its final "significant" milestone. As of today, April 22, 2011, it contains 1007 headwords. My daughter Kate, who ought to know these things, says that's how many entries there are, but actually 69 of the headwords have multiple subentries, making a total of 1082 entries. In any case, given that the next "significant" milestone is 2000 entries, I doubt it'll ever make the next big step. :) As it is, I hope people are finding it, and will continue to find it, useful.
Posted Image

#7 giovanni1

giovanni1

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2011 - 00:35

There are many times a Glossary is useful, and since a very comprehensive and excellent one already exists, rather than toiling away ourselves to put together a lesser one, we have obtained permission to link to it by the owner - Richard Binder..

Richard's Glossary

Just click and enjoy... Perhaps bring a coffee, as you may stay longer than you think... Posted Image

Best regards,

Gerry

PS: Although this post was edited after Richard's following post - Richards contains more important information. I was just fixing a basically broken link - it now goes to the A's... Richard's suggestions allow specific references. As always, we thank Richard for being so generous with his knowledge and advice.

Hi Gerry;
I'm in possession of a Aurora Model 88P Type F.
http://xoomer.virgil.../Aurora_88.html

It was purchased from my parents in 1960 in Torino Italy.
It looks like it has never been used..in the original box, with certificate.
How can I tell for sure it has never been used?
I will be selling it.
Thanks,.

#8 twduffy58

twduffy58

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2011 - 18:07

The last post in the string was right. I'm in hour #3 that started last night at 11:30 and I'm on my first mug of coffee today, and still only 2/3 through the entries. Richard, your cyclopedic work is amazing. THANK YOU!
Your sub entry on Sheaffer snorkel systems is extremely helpful for me.
"know thyself?" If I knew myself, I'd run away.
Goethe

#9 Christopher Godfrey

Christopher Godfrey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Location:Gloucester (The Perfect Storm one, in Massachusetts)
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2014 - 18:43

Dare I say it; but part of the attraction to Richard's website is that the knowledge is imparted with such humour -- bless his heart!  What encyclopaedic information there is, there, too.  I have advised several posters (who write about nib roughness or scratchiness) to go to Richard's pages and read up on nib smoothing: it really is so easy, especially since His Lordship leads the novice by the hand all the way though it -- and will sell all the necessary materials, too!

A great resource we have there!

#10 vikramguliya

vikramguliya

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:37

Thank you Richard. Its really useful

#11 Katherines

Katherines

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2015 - 20:57

I'd like to add my thanks for the Glossary, it helps weed out some of the more egregious descriptions of pens at eBay!

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

#12 Cocobird

Cocobird

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2017 - 19:59

Thank you! There is so much to learn, and this makes it easier.

Sponsored Content

|