Just got my second FP...a Lamy 2000!

Bogie

I bought my first fountain pen about 6 or 7 months ago. It was just a simple medium nibbed Waterman Phileas which wrote well enough but always seemed a bit scratchy to me. I was about to give up on FP's because I assumed the way my Phileas wrote was how all FP's wrote. Wow, I was wrong. My extra fine nibbed Lamy 2000 is incredible. I filled it with Noodler's red blank ink and I have never had a better writing experience. I'm afraid now that I've been exposed to such a good writing experience that I'm going to be buying a third and fourth and fifth pen before long. Right now I have my eyes on a Parker 51. It's hopeless for me now isn't it?

Edited by Bogie

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J English Smith

• tamburlaine

• Brian.

• Bogie

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done! The Lamy 2000 is a terrific pen (alright - I admit it, I secretly bought one: but it was brand new and got it half price on eBay, so I couldn't miss it... I'll deny that I have one to anyone else, so shh!).

And yes, it is hopeless for you. I only started using fountain pens with any regularity about three or four weeks ago, and I already have 5... note to self: would like a Phileas.

And in my 5 I have a Parker "51" - all I can say is, get an aerometric one in a decent condition and you won't regret it.

- Patrick

Edited by patrick1314

Publifhed According to the True Originall Copies

My 2000 just got sent to Lamy service, it had a little leaking problem near the metal ears. I was also going to have them swap out the nib to one grade finer.

Can you post any writing samples of your XF nib? There still would be time for me to catch them and have them swap to an XF for sure...

And contratulations. It took me weeks to get around to sending it off because it is such a lovely writer. I waited 20 years to get one...was worth the wait. Feels so good in the hand!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I wish I could help you by posting samples JES, but I don't have any way to get it in the computer. Although I can say that despite the reputation for the nibs writing one size bigger than they are, mine does seem to be a true EF nib and it's significantly narrower than the Medium nib on my Phileus.

Im fairly sure my Lamy 2000 is an XF although I must admit im not 100% sure. Ive done a quick pic comparison in the hope its of some help. I only have 3 FP's so the comparison is only a small one, hope its of some help.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/6341/spa0006tb6.jpg

Congratulations on the Lamy!

I'm new here too and have the same Waterman and just picked up a Lamy 2000 EF two weeks ago.

Nice !!! Only issue I have is with Noodlers Black Bullet-Proof ink. It creeps all over the nib. The Noodlers Luxury Blue didi the same thing on my Phileas medium nib.

I'm assuming it's just the ink, but like I said I'm new here.

I too am on the hunt for a Parker 51. Then I'll call it quits for awhile. :yikes:

Thanks Brian, and Bogie. I bet I do have a F nib after all. So the XF is not scratchy at all - still very smooth?

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I like my 2000 so much that I think I would really like to get another one at some point, perhaps with a different nib. I can't justify two identical pens though, no matter how hard I try. Am I right in thinking that Lamy briefly released the pen in a different colour at some point as a special edition? Or maybe I have made this up because I want it to be true!

John

I like my 2000 so much that I think I would really like to get another one at some point, perhaps with a different nib. I can't justify two identical pens though, no matter how hard I try. Am I right in thinking that Lamy briefly released the pen in a different colour at some point as a special edition? Or maybe I have made this up because I want it to be true!

John

There was a limited edition. i can't remember what was different about it though - wasn't it palladium or steel or something? Don't know if they are still available or how much they would be though.

If I find that post I saw it mentioned in I'll reply here.

Found an online review of it: http://www.rickconner.net/penspotters/lamy.2000.html Scroll down to see the limited edition.

It is like the brushed stainless steel of the Lamy Studio instead of the Makrolon.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Lamy/2000/Lamy2000LE.jpg

Congrats on the Lamy! Also, 51's rock. You have to have one...or two...or...

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

I think Lamy may sell the 2000 nibs as a part - so if all you want is to have a range of nibs - they are pretty easy to swap out. I think Lamy service charges about $40 for the nib alone...so I have heard.

Thanks Patrick, that steel 2000 is definitely one for my fantasy pen list. I'm not usually that keen on metal pens, but I like the way there's the band of makrolon in the section so that it wouldn't be slippery.

I can see myself investigating some of the other Lamys, perhaps an Accent or a cp1.

John

Congrats on the new pen. I am so glad you did not give up on fountain pens because of an experience with one pen.

If you like fine writing nibs, I imagine you will be well pleased with a Parker 51 with an EF or F nib. I am not a P-51 fanatic, I just like their writing chacteristics. I got my first one as a gift from my dad in the late 1950's and I have acquired more than two dozen over the years. I actually like M and B nibs, especially italics and stubs. But when I must write a fine line for any reason, I rely on a P-51.

The Waterman Phileas is still a good pen. If you want to smooth out that nib, you can try the old paper bag method. Tryphon industries sells a nib smoothing kit with very fine grit sand paper. I have used that smoothing kit very successfully a number of times. (No affiliation, etc.)

Congrats on your Lamy 2000-I love mine, its not the most expensive in my small collection, but its the one I think i love the most, I have 2 P51's a F and a M-and they are wonderful pens-I am looking for a P51 Flighter with the gold band...one day, and enjoy you L2K (try upside down if you want and even thinner line).

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475