Recommend fine nibs

steve b

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a pen with a fine or extra fine nib. I was thinking about a pelikan M400, but I've seen some coments about them being scratchy.

So which pen would you recommend as being a good writer in fine or extra fine nibs.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greencobra

• jmkeuning

• Lloyd

• Shelley

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my smooth, Pelikan fines in 14k gold (M250 & 2-tone M600), but be advised they write a fine/medium line. Everything I hear indicates an Extra-Fine tuned by Richard Binder - you can buy the entire pen from him - is an outstanding smooth, wet writer. Good luck.

I recently bought a Sailor 1911 (available many places at close-out prices--I got mine from Pear Tree Pens) with a factory fine nib. I am amazed at how smooth and precise it is. In fact, though I have a number of fine and medium nibs from other manufacturers, the Sailor fine is both the finest (as most Japanese nibs are substantially finer than their American/European counterparts) and the smoothest! Simply incredible. I've read enough other reviews of Sailor to know that my experience is not unique.

Never mistake motion for action

- E. Hemingway

You might take a look at Stipula. Mostly I use XF or F and my Stipula F's all write a pretty true fine line. But in my experience, for a FP to write a true XF or F line, it must be a fairly dry writer and maybe that's where reports of "scratchy" come in. Any fine nibbed pen I've given to someone to increase flow a bit seems to become a Med.

My Pelikan Shanghai City, I believe that's a 605 (?), has a F and it writes wetter but with a bolder Fine/Med line.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Ditto that the Pelikan F will be to broad if you want F or XF. I am happy with my Lamy Safari XF but really like my Sailor Sapporo XF which is finer than the Lamy.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

I am happy with my Lamy Safari XF but really like my Sailor Sapporo XF which is finer than the Lamy.

I forgot about the Lamy's. I own a pair of Studio's, XF and F, which are the finest I've encountered to date. Finer even than the Stipula's I mentioned first.

Not to spank the Sailor nibs, but my 1911 Fine wasn't even close to being as fine or finer than the Lamy's.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

If you want a true fine nib or extra fine in a modern pen, the safest bet is to buy Japanese. A Pilot 78G F will be a Western XF.

- Jonathan

The best and smoothest extra-fine nib I have is on a Sheaffer PFM that I just bought at the Portland Pen Show. It's both finer and smoother than any of my Sailors. The really amazing part is that when I turn it upside-down it's a smooth needlepoint, just right for filling out some of the tiny boxes on those forms designed by sadists. I wasn't looking for a PFM but you just never know what you might find when you go to a show.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

B)-->

QUOTE(steve b @ Aug 5 2007, 02:48 PM) 344855[/snapback]
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a pen with a fine or extra fine nib. I was thinking about a pelikan M400, but I've seen some coments about them being scratchy.

So which pen would you recommend as being a good writer in fine or extra fine nibs.

Not if you buy it from Richard Binder.... he tunes all the pens he sells so that they write right.... also the XF nibs have the scratchy rep not the F nibs.... I also don't find them closer to a medium... I find they are just a nice size F nib....

And yes I am a very very pleased customer of Richard.....

The best and smoothest extra-fine nib I have is on a Sheaffer PFM that I just bought at the Portland Pen Show. It's both finer and smoother than any of my Sailors. The really amazing part is that when I turn it upside-down it's a smooth needlepoint, just right for filling out some of the tiny boxes on those forms designed by sadists. I wasn't looking for a PFM but you just never know what you might find when you go to a show.

And THAT is why one should not go to pen shows. I mean should. Errr shouldn't... should... shouldn't...

Thanks for the info on the Sheaffer PFM, I would not expet that, and since I do not have a Shaeffer, I will add it to THE LIST:

Parker Vacumatic Major

Pelikan M805

Sheaffer PFM (newly added)

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

I agree with meanwhile, for a factory nib go with Japanese, get a vp or a sailor...if you want customized though any of the nibmeisters should be able to help you, like Richard Binder.

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

New: Sailor or Pilot/Namiki, no doubt about it.

Vintage: Parker '51'

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Another vote for the VP fine here. A really smooth writer that always starts even if it's been neglected for a couple of weeks.

Wayne

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

B)-->

QUOTE(steve b @ Aug 5 2007, 06:48 PM) 344855[/snapback]
Hi,

Finer than fine , then Japanses nibs shld be your prime consideration.

Check out the Pilot Custom 742 Waver nib and its other models in the same series.

about USD$180

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

I am just reinforcing what the others have said. If you want a Pelikan M-400 with an EF nib, then get it from Richard. The extra mney you spend initially will yield big dividends in a pen that you will enjoy for many years to come. Keep in mind that you can buy extra nibs for that Pel and have a great EF nib plus a F and more. Otherwise, go for a Japanese pen.

My finest writing nib is a Parker 51 Vac with an XXF accounting nib. That nib is smooth and writes a razor sharp line that is simply awesome. Hence, I would suggest that you also consider a P-51.

But in my experience, for a FP to write a true XF or F line, it must be a fairly dry writer and maybe that's where reports of "scratchy" come in.

I've also found that to be the case, despite my experience being perhaps a little limited.

I recently bought a Waterman Phileas EF and it was very smooth, though I'd imagine something better could be found if your budget is a lot higher. After moving the tines a little I made the line a little drier and finer, though there was just a little "tooth" to the feel: but then it improved its usability for the sort of (mathematical) writing I am doing.

I'm not really a fine nib person, though some of my pens are fines. I find Italian brands like Stipula, Delta and Omas as having excellent fine nibs, as do Waterman and Dupont. My MB 149 has a fine nib and writes very nicely with it.

Having said that, I still recommend that you stick with a medium nib. Fine nibs are very much an acquired taste.

Edited by Bennington1967

I picked up a Parker 25 with an XF nib from GoodGuy. It needed a tiny bit of polishing on the .5 micron abrasive paper, but has turned out to be a stellar writer, smooth and very fine. Only cost $20, too.