Hey Javelin owners

sp_maher

I use Javelins for most of my grading because they travel so well, but I'm tired of using cartridges. Easy question, will the Javelin accept a converter? If so, which one? Thanks.

Sean

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger

• sp_maher

• Keith with a capital K

• PenHero

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Javelins for most of my grading because they travel so well, but  I'm tired of using cartridges.  Easy question, will the Javelin accept a converter?  If so, which one?  Thanks.

Sean

I've wondered about a converter with them, also, Sean. :huh:

I'll tell you what they do make into, and that's an ED! :) Just pull out the cart. and fill that puppy with ink after putting just a bit of pure silicon grease on the barrel threads. The bloody thing holds a ton of ink and the flow is ever so slightly on the wet side of average with my F nibs. Try it. You can always wash out the barrel and return to cart. if you don't like it. :D

Oh, a caveat. Leave at least 3/8 in. free space when filling with ink. Otherwise, you'll have a lap full of ink when you screw the barrel into the section and the feed displaces some of the barrel volume. :o

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

I would have to check but if the Javelin will not accept the newer Sheaffer piston convertor it could be fitted with a squeeze convertor which is the same dimensions as the Sheaffer cartridge.

A number of newer Sheaffer models do not accept the longer piston convertor and last time I heard, the squeeze convertors were still available from Sheaffer U.S.A. for around $4.00 / each.

I am partial to eyedropper conversions myself as you get a better working pen that holds a ton of ink.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Thanks for all the help. I like the eye dropper idea for my plastic Javelins and I'll pick up a piston converter as well. I teach U.S. History and thought that grading with Noodlers Antietam might be uniquely appropriate.

Sean

Thanks, Jim, for the converter info. :)

I should also mention that my F nibbed Javelins were all a little more scratchy than I like, but with my new found skills with the 0.3 micron lapping film, I've got those babies writing as smooth as any F nib has a right to! Truth be known, they're now a tad better than the F nibs on both my Bexley Submariner Grande and my Aurora Optima, and they're nothing to sneeze at. :lol:

For you folks that haven't tried them, get a handful of the plastic Javelins from Jim. At $5.00 each plus shipping which Jim will combine for you, they are a marvelous way to introduce a youngster to pendom. :)

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List