The Object of my Affection

KendallJ

I've got some different greens, a couple of burgundies, one or two greys, and some really lovely blues. The TDs came in "Persian" Blue, which is a little darker than the "Pastel Blue" of the Snorks. I've got two Snorks in pastel blue, and two TDs in Persian. One has an open nib with a nice bit of flex. The other TD is a gorgeous first-year Valiant with a luscious medium triumph nib. It won't be for sale or trade. :) It's currently my very favorite pen in the world.

I have to sit down and make a list of what I've got. Between all the different caps and nibs, and all those dumb Sheaffer model names, I just can't keep it all straight anymore.

As for me, I would love a bright red Snork. Or one of those nice periwinkle ones. (Heh, I can dream, can't I??)

E

I would love to have a first year TD in "Persian Blue" with a two-tone nib in mint condition! :drool:

I have seen a "Mandarin Orange" Snork at an antique shop once but since it had a 14k nib the store wanted over $150 for it. I said to myself, what a nice pen but way too expensive for my taste back then. Likewise, the pen was not in the best of shape, but its one of the more harder to find colors for the Snorkel.

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KendallJ

• Johnny Appleseed

• grasshopper

• ElaineB

Mannenhitsu -

Did you at least make an offer on the Orange Snork? Man I would love one one!

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Mannenhitsu -

Did you at least make an offer on the Orange Snork? Man I would love one one!

Yes, and he would not budge on the price either. :angry:

The most unusual color Snork I ever saw was at my former girlfriend's, aunt's house in Singapore in 1998. This was a "banana yellow" edition and was given to her in Sydney by her ex-boyfriend in the late 1950s. I believe he worked for Sheaffer at that time according to my ex.

This is the only yellow Snork I have ever seen in my life. It was a Saratoga, and had a two-tone 14K open nib. However, since her aunt loved the color yellow the most, she would not part with it for all the money in the world. :(

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

I would love to have a first year TD in "Persian Blue" with a two-tone nib in mint condition!

If you find it in a sentinal configuration (metal cap) I have the pencil to match it.

And anyone interested in a Buckskin Tan Snork with an X4 nib and a tiny chip missing from the white dot?

J. Appleseed

Edited by Johnny Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Personally I think TDs and Snorks are overated and haven't made them a large part of my collection :rolleyes:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/Sheaffers1.jpg

Especially those triumph nibs

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/SheafferNibs.jpg

And a few that should show up in the marketplace soon.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/Sample-inrestore.jpg

And did somebody say Balances?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/Balances.jpg

J. Appleseed

PS - That was a serious question about the Buckskin Tan. I don't have one, but I know an antique dealer that does. They want about $30 for it. I have balked on it due to the slightly chipped white dot, but if anyone is interested I can try to pick it up will sell it for my cost + postage.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Great case, Johnny! :rolleyes: I have one just like it, from Pendemonium. Best thought out carrying case, imo. For use at home, though, I like cloth stuff like the Wilde Wraps and the one that Denis made and is showing in another thread.

To get back on topic, I don't even own a Shaeffer, yet, but do have a modern Legacy coming soon. Haven't dabbled in vintage, either, but it's a fait accompli that it will happen. Only the "when" is in question.

Nice thing about vintage is that you don't lose much, if any, money selling and trading. ;) New pens are like new cars; you take a licking as soon as you take possession. Sure, some years down the road, that will likely change as today's new pens begin approaching vintage status, but I'm getting old, and can't wait! :lol:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

I've got to stop reading these forums, it just makes so many different pens so tempting. Combine the postings on here with Elaine's lovely writing using one of her Snorkels and the temptation became too much. I'm now the proud owner of my first Snorkel which has its matching pencil. Burgundy with a silver palladium nib, lovely and smooth. I can seriously see myself ending up with more of these pens.

I'm curious, why not a Silver-Palladium triumph?

Just like Elaine said, it's purely aesthetics. I still like PdAg nibs, it's just that I prefer the 2Ts more.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

hmmm, let me readjust for windage, calibrate my sights, and see if I can lob something your way that will strike home...  :P

Actually, Grasshopper, I have quite a selection of blacks with Triumph nibs, too. Especially a gorgeous XF Two-toned Triumph black Valiant touchdown -- but it's another one of the pens that I'm keeping for myself.

And a Black Snorkel Valient with a fine 2T Triumph - I was going to keep that one, but you might convince me otherwise.

"Just when I thought that I was out, they pull me back in" - Michael Corleone. :P

Ok, ok... you're making me an offer I can't refuse ;) ... what can I do... I'll take them... :rolleyes: :doh:

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

QUOTE (Johnny Appleseed)

And a Black Snorkel Valient with a fine 2T Triumph - I was going to keep that one, but you might convince me otherwise.

For you Grasshopper - $40 plus shipping to your part of the world.

I cropped some pics from my previous post - not the best pics, but I can try to take more if you want.

Let me know!

J. Appleseed

post-30-1124469580_thumb.jpg

- Dr Suess

Nnoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! :doh: :lol:

Ok, Johnny. I'll help you out and take that pen off you but only if you reeeaaally don't like it. ;) :D :rolleyes: :bonk:

Will PM you shortly.

Well, here is the result of my recent enfatuation and resulting binge... I really am enamoured with these pens. And out of the lot there is not a bad one!

From left:

Craftsman TD

Admiral TD

Statesman TD

Admiral Snork

Valiant TD

Admiral TD in Blue

Saratoga Snork

Sentinel TD

Admiral Snork in Sage green (a favorite)

Clipper Snork

Canadian Crest

Statesman Snork in Aqua (another favorite)

Not shown: A green admiral TD that went to Velma's friend Tracey, and a green Valiant TD that I'm using to hook a colleague.

I made up a little grid of all the possible model and color combinations and let's just say, I've only scratched the surface... :P

The four on the far left will probably show up at a Marketplace near you shortly!

Quick pen ? on the display what is the difference between a Statesman and Valiant. I have one that looks like both from the outside think it was 1948 produced.

Thanks,

Kurt H

one has triumph nib, the other a 2 tone open nib.

However, if youre pen is pre '49 it can't be a touchdown or Snorkel so I'm not sure if the name refers to something else. I know that Sheaffer reused the names of its models across the years. (An Admiral TD is not the same pen as an Admiral Snork, for instance)

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

What Kendall said. If your pen is from pre-1949 it is a vacuum-filler not a Touchdown. Do you mean a 1949 touchdown - I've gotten confused on that before.

For reference, the best guides going are:

PenHero - 1949 Touchdowns

PenHero - TM Touchdowns (1950-1952)

Penhero - Snorkels

Richard Binders website also has a great reference page with samples of all the colors and a chart for keeping track of the models. However, I have been having trouble connecteing to it at work. Has anything changed at his website? Even when I go through PenHeros weblink I get a network timeout error.

Maybe someone else can post that link.

J. Appleseed

- Dr Suess

Richard Binders website also has a great reference page with samples of all the colors and a chart for keeping track of the models. However, I have been having trouble connecteing to it at work. Has anything changed at his website? Even when I go through PenHeros weblink I get a network timeout error.

J. Appleseed

Richard Binder's site seems to be working for me:

Richard's Pens Website

He has a great site, BTW.

Edited by PenHero

Yea - it must be the server here at work. What a bummer.

Thanks for the link James!

J. Appleseed.

- Dr Suess

However, if youre pen is pre '49 it can't be a touchdown or Snorkel so I'm not sure if the name refers to something else. I know that Sheaffer reused the names of its models across the years. (An Admiral TD is not the same pen as an Admiral Snork, for instance)

It's a 1949 I always get the date wrong and it has the wrap around nib.

Kurt H

This is the difference on Statesman and Valiant for 49 series pens.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

What Kendall said. If your pen is from pre-1949 it is a vacuum-filler not a Touchdown. Do you mean a 1949 touchdown - I've gotten confused on that before.

For reference, the best guides going are:

PenHero - 1949 Touchdowns

PenHero - TM Touchdowns (1950-1952)

Penhero - Snorkels

J. Appleseed

I have combined the info from both Richards and Jim's website into a spreadsheet that has models and color availability for all TD's and Snorkels. It is only a compilation so only as good as the original data. Richard has all the colors listed, but not which models were produced in which colors.

PM me if you want a copy and I'll send it to ya!

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

And I almost forgot this little set - recent addition. It's an Aqua blue Snork, but I am still working on color balance with the camera.

J. Appleseed

post-30-1125073675_thumb.jpg

- Dr Suess