Next...A Prelude!

Thesaurus Rex

I'm starting to feel like I want to get a Sheaffer Prelude for my next semi-inexpensive purchase. How many of you have them and what are you favorite colors?

(Pictures a plus!)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scribble

• tburke0

• Thesaurus Rex

• grasshopper

A most excellent inexpensive pen! I have a few...

- Matte Blue

- Matte Red

- Matte Green

- Matte Ivory

- Matte Black

- Gold Plated w/ Engraved lines

- Satin Chrome w/ etched lines

- Stainless / GT

- Stainless / CT

- Tortise / GT

- Black Laque w/ Palladium & GT Cap I also have the matching BP for this one

Jinkies! how'd they get to be so many? :blink:

Props to my "pusher" Jim @ penhero from whence most of these have come...

Enjoy!

Tom

"There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5673/inkdz2.png

Oh yea, my favorite colors are the last 2. The tortise and the Palladium & black. Both w/ gold trim...

"There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."

I think I really like this one:

http://www.pensplanet.com/products/sheaffer/376-FP.GIF

Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Copper with black trim.

This one's nice, too, though:

http://www.pensplanet.com/products/sheaffer/08-383-FP.GIF

Guest Denis Richard

I have a Navy Matte. Great pen, and great colour. There is the Rainbow one too, if you are in the mood for some funkyness.

I was eyeing the Plasma Rainbow as well. One of the awesome things about the Prelude line, to me, is the array of colors and finishes. I would like to see a Rainbow one in person before I decide though.

Oh, for a decent B&M store in Athens!

A most excellent inexpensive pen!  I have a few...

- Matte Blue

- Matte Red

- Matte Green

- Matte Ivory

- Matte Black

- Gold Plated w/ Engraved lines

- Satin Chrome w/ etched lines

- Stainless / GT

- Stainless / CT

- Tortise / GT

- Black Laque w/ Palladium & GT Cap  I also have the matching BP for this one

Jinkies!  how'd they get to be so many?  :blink: 

Props to my "pusher"  Jim @ penhero from whence most of these have come...

Enjoy!

Tom

Wow! Either your pusher's quite the convincer or these are really good pens. :lol:

Just had a peep at the hospital and from their pics, the tortoiseshell doesn't look particularly tortoiseshell-y to me, does it?

Don't know why, but I've got the image of Al Pacino's Scarface writing with that gold barleycorn... :unsure:

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

If a picture is worth 1000 words this should be good for 350 or so...

click thumbnail to enlarge

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1763/20050810preludes0002a0jz.th.jpg

hocus-pocus outta-focus! :bonk:

well, at least the colors are... nah they're off too... :bonk: :bonk:

Anyways, things to look for in a prelude:

- 2tone vs single-tone nib (i think 2-tone nib is only on certain models)

- cap jewel vs plain cap (newer caps have a perlescent disc in the top of the cap older caps are plain trim on top)

Back to the camera manuals... :doh:

Tom

Just had a peep at the hospital and from their pics, the tortoiseshell doesn't look particularly tortoiseshell-y to me, does it?

The tortishell is a subtle dark brown and black. A great match, IMHO, for the gold trim. The black trim preludes never did it for me...

The price/performance ratio on these is tough to beat, so hoard them now while they're still around... :lol:

Tom

The tortishell is a subtle dark brown and black. A great match, IMHO, for the gold trim.  The black trim preludes never did it for me...

Thanks Tom. B) I quite like the idea of a subtle tortoiseshell design.

The price/performance ratio on these is tough to beat, so hoard them now while they're still around... :lol:

Tom

Oh no, I'm not falling for that tactic! :lol:

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

I can see nearby the copper with gold trim, the blue lacquer, the chameleon green, and the chrome; I've had, and given away, the tortoiseshell, the red lacquer, and the black -- but may replace them; and I keep looking at all the discontinued colors at PenHero.com and mulling them over.

I really like the weight and shape of the Preludes, and the XF nibs have always been smooth for me.

Stick to vintage sheaffers, grasshopper, stick to vintage... :doh:

Got a tortise Prelude a while back from Jim - has gold trim and a two-toned fine nib that is smooth. Always reliable, great writer. I keep it inked with one of the Noodler's eternal inks - right now, Devil Red. The nib only dries out if left untouched, vertically, for several weeks. Definitely one pen of which I plan to add other colors to my stable.

By the way, anyone have a chameleon? What's that finish like?

Edited by southpaw
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

By the way, anyone have a chameleon? What's that finish like?

I have the Chameleon Lightning Green -- I think that's what it's called. It's too bright to be standard olive, but it's a slightly muted shade in that realm, but with the golden shimmering, which makes it one of the three pens people reach for without thinking in my pen cup/on my desk, if they're going to ask "Oooooh, what's that?" (The other two are the blue lacquer Prelude, and the copper Esterbrook -- apparently irregular coloring catches people's eyes.) It's also got a faint... not roughness, but it's not as smooth and polished feeling as other pens, which I like a lot.

It seems like a pretty sturdy finish, given that mine is unmarred, after several months, and I'm not the most gentle pen user on the planet.

I have successfully resisted this for quite a while and now you've pushed me into it. I'm just hoping I'm not too late to get the Onyx and Palladium Pen I've been :drool: over for a month now.

Edited by scribble

there are no persons worth knowing except saints, scoundrels, and quacks

J-K Huysmans

Watched Lolita again yesterday. There is this scene where an apparent Dr. Zemph/Peter Sellers, school shrink, is wearing a dark suit with several shiny fountain pen caps appearing conspicuously in the coat pocket. I had to wonder if there was a Palladium capped Prelude in there. :unsure: Today mine came in the mail from Pendemonium. Looks like they shipped ahead of the DC show schedule and I'm not complaining.

The italic ground broad nib looks a lot bigger than the italic medium on the Agio. Since I liked the look of the italics from the Agio I yearned to see what a good size italic nib would do. Tonight I'll find out. Looks awful big though so I will use one of the less intense inks. I didn't think the difference between .8 and 1.1 would be that apparent.

I also enjoyed watching Humbert/James Mason jotting in his journal (diary) with his fountain pen, turning it over quickly and pressing it upon the desk blotter as Lolita/Sue Lyon unexpectedly came into his room. The days when every desk had a blotter pad and none had a computer! ;)

J-K Huysmans

I am a bit surprised to find such enthusiasm for the Prelude line! I agree the finishes are sometimes very beautiful, but most reviews or comments I´ve seen in the net about the way this pen writes tend to be negative. The first one I saw was a review in Stylophiles (Feb 2001) which absolutely destroyed the pen. Afterwards, I´ve seen other complains here and there, mostly about the balance of the pen when posted (many people think it is top heavy). I´ve got three Preludes myself, and my decision is not made yet. The first one was perfect (a steel CT one). The second one (matte ivory) took a lot of tuning before it started to work. The last one (a black lacquer + palladium) has been a pain in the neck since I bought it last year. I´ve managed to stop the skipping, but the nib is still very scratchy (nib exchange is simply not an option in Brazil). And I do think the pen is top heavy. Apart from the looks of the pen, what are your experiences about its writing?

I've had this Black Laq/Palladium for a week now. It is one impressive looking instrument but I'm having skipping problems and yes it is way too long and top heavy posted. But it is long enough unposted so that isn't a concern. I wondered if the performance was due to the general nature of converters or the custom nib but I suppose it could be the pen.

It is a wet writer and the italic from a broad so it delivers a river of ink to the page. I though perhaps it pulled more ink than it easily delivers. It was listed as a cursive italic but seems to be on the crisp end of the spectrum so I've been practising going slow and trying to find optimal positioning. Since I've found this type of challenge with calligraphy pens I'm not surprised to find it tricky to use.

J-K Huysmans

I am a bit surprised to find such enthusiasm for the Prelude line! I agree the finishes are sometimes very beautiful, but most reviews or comments I´ve seen in the net about the way this pen writes tend to be negative. The first one I saw was a review in Stylophiles (Feb 2001) which absolutely destroyed the pen. Afterwards, I´ve seen other complains here and there, mostly about the balance of the pen when posted (many people think it is top heavy). I´ve got three Preludes myself, and my decision is not made yet. The first one was perfect (a steel CT one). The second one (matte ivory) took a lot of tuning before it started to work. The last one (a black lacquer + palladium) has been a pain in the neck since I bought it last year. I´ve managed to stop the skipping, but the nib is still very scratchy (nib exchange is simply not an option in Brazil). And I do think the pen is top heavy. Apart from the looks of the pen, what are your experiences about its writing?

I have had a couple of nibs that were just a touch scratchy (for a while, I was buying fine nibs, and ordering the extra-fines directly from Sidney at Sheaffer, and it tended to be the fines that I found scratchy), but every extra-fine I've had has written smoothly. Some have seemed a tad more narrow than others, but they've all been fine for me.

Tracey, the coworker who lost all her pens -- and thank you, those of you who have sent her pens; it's been really cool to see her all dumbfounded and soft and amazed at the kindness in the world -- just bought a matte burgundy Prelude from PenHero. It arrived yesterday, as did my matte grey Javelin, so we compared pens, and she then ordered a translucent amber Javelin, while I'm thinking of the matte burgundy Prelude for myself. It's a darker color than we had expected, almost more of a grape than burgundy, but the red tones are very evident.

Tracey likes the fine and medium Preludes, and tells me that all of hers have written well from the beginning, with smooth nibs and a nice wet flow.

" I was buying fine nibs, and ordering the extra-fines directly from Sidney at Sheaffer"

So you can easily switch nibs on the Prelude?

J-K Huysmans