What is your favorite Cross Pen?

miketmbt

My Lapis Townsend BP was stolen one day, and I've never gotten over that.

I currently have a 10K Townsend ballpoint, so that's therefore my favorite.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• halljer

• MikeW

• andyk

• donwinn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What? Only one vote for Pinnacle? Don't get me wrong, I love my Townsends. I have 8 of them. But, my favorite is my Pinnacle Bordeaux with Sterling cap. The Peacock color is nice, too. I'm still trying to find an Amber model. Of my Townsends, I think my favorite is the Translucent Green. What a beautiful color!

The pen may be mightier than the sword...

but don't take your favorite fountain pen to a sword fight!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I'm really in the minority here! Although I'm primarily a fountain pen user and I like a number of my Cross fountain pens, I'd have to vote the classic Cross Century ballpoint as my favorite Cross pen. It really is an American icon; it is an absolutely classic, instantly recognizable pen all over the world. As to which classic Century ballpoint, it is a toss up between the 14K gold filled model (which I got as a law school graduation present and have used, on and off, ever since) and the 14K solid gold model (which I bought on eBay) and then had Cross engrave with my initials in "deep fill black". There is an understated elegance to that pen -- a quiet kind of luxury. I also like the classic Century ballpoint in sterling silver and the "Classic Black" finish that came out initially in the early 80s when I was a young lawyer.

For rollerballs, I again am drawn to the classic Century model -- though the Century II's may be a sturdier design.

For fountain pens, I'm quite a fan of the Century II -- a vast improvement, reliability wise, over the original Century fountain pen. I do wish they made the Century II in some nicer and more interesting finishes. (They seem to reserve those for the Townsend).

I love the look of the Townsend in Lapis, in Jade, and in some of the newer finishes like Citrine and Garnet. But I have always found them a bit heavy and awkward to write with -- in any mode. Not to mention that they're not really jacket or shirt pocket friendly! I've always wondered why Cross didn't expand the Townsend line by adding a mid-size version as many other companies do (e.g. the Omas 360, the Visconti Van Gogh).

Among the newer designs, I like the Century Signet the best. The lacquered lines, also used in the anniversary pens, evoke vintage Cross pens. Very cool, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite is my Pinnacle, closely followed by the Verve, then Townsend. Metropolis is nice but a little too skinny, and my Century Classic in chrome is both too skinny and too slippery.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

• 2 months later...
My favorite is my Pinnacle, closely followed by the Verve, then Townsend. Metropolis is nice but a little too skinny, and my Century Classic in chrome is both too skinny and too slippery.

I know what you mean about the Century Classic. I am using mine with some modifications.

the cushioning costs me very little - but much gives me and my pen much joy.....it breaks the elegant lines, makes it look hideous. but its My Fav Monster....

post-8007-1206158106_thumb.jpg

My favorite Cross Pen is the Century II Art Deco paltinum plated FP; although foolishly I bought mine with a B nib. I also like the BP. Always wondered why they never made a companion pencil...

The Townsend is the classic full sized Cross pen. My favourite Townsend is the Lapis Blue - I don't believe it has ever been equalled for sheer beauty.

I'm toying with getting a Verve for myself as a college graduation present, well it's one of my choices

Andy

Mine is a sterling silver 150th anniversary FP.

One of the most gorgeous pens imo and a dreamy writer. I'll try to post a pic some time.

Cross Townsend in sterling silver - lovely writer and significant gift.

Chris

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." --Benjamin Franklin

Cross Townsend in sterling silver - lovely writer and significant gift.

Chris

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have a Sterling 150th set, a Lapis Lazuli set, but that Sterling Townsend, is the one I find leaps into my shirt pocket the most.

Classic looks, sterling's patina, posts unlike a 150th Ann. fp, and like all ATX 18Kt nibs, floats on paper.

I have a Pelikan 1050 that I wish wrote as well.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." --Benjamin Franklin

Ditto on the Sterling Townsend - I have ten Townsends and the Stirling is just a hair lighter than the others which makes it my favorite as an all day writer.

But my all-time hands-down favorites are still the Pinnacles - I have completed my collection and now have all five finishes. The pens are even lighter than the Townsends and less of the total weight is in the cap. As a result the pen stays better balanced posted and you don't have the feeling that the weight of the cap is trying to lift the nib from the paper.

"Ink isn't dead...It just smells funny"

Here's a pic of my favorite, the 150th anniversary in sterling -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_5495.jpg

I love the lion face and other details.

Here's the gorgeous 2 tone 18c nib on my sterling Townsend for comparison.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_5497.jpg

I agree with others that the sterling Townsend is one of the best Cross pens.

In fact it's one of my favorite modern pens from any brand. I just chose the

anniversary pen, because it's a bit more unusual. The nibs on both of these pens are buttery smooth.

Well I guess that since I don't have a Cross FP.......yet. I'd have to say one of my 7 Century BP. One, a 10k, that was passed down from my Grandfather, and the others I have aquired here and there which are used all the time at work. 20 plus years on some of them and I have no idea how old Granddads is, they gust keep looking good and writing well. Timeless and classic.

I would have to say my Agopee Staccato. Of course this is the only Cross I own at this time. I have only had it about a month and love it. It is a heavy pen and it is very smooth.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd136/treehuggers-pics/Pens/P4040022.jpg