• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• MikeW

• andyk

• Blue Fingers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a Century II that I rather like. It was my first "real" FP, and there are some things I don't like about it, but I had the nib reground to a .5mm stub, and I really like writing with it.

I'd have to say that my favorite Cross is my old Century in classic black. It has a fine nib. I found it on eBay about a month or so ago, and it's in near mint condition. That's my only Cross FP at the moment. I have at least a dozen Cross BPs that I've accumulated over the past 20 years, but my favorite Cross that's not a FP is my humble Classic Century RB in chrome.

Although I have a Century and Century II both of which I enjoy using (the Century II a little more as it a bigger), the Cross I most enjoy using is my blue Solo with F nib.

Andy

I can't wait to try out their new one - the Compact!

Cross Compact Fountain Pen

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'"

Twitter: @CasmiUK

• 2 weeks later...

My cross townsend matte black with platinum accents, broad nib, extremely conditioned to my hand. I have a 14k gold century 2; I like it but I cant carry it around with me, it dents easily

• 2 weeks later...

The Lapis Lazuli Townsend, I think it is a beautiful finish! I don't have enough experience writing with Cross pens to have a technical opinion though.

We stomped on the terra-

Lord Buckley said that

I only have one model of Cross pen - although by an odd quirk, I have two of them: the Cross Century II.

I love how smoothly and wet they write; since my signature mark in handwriting is a heavy black line, their medium nibs work perfectly with Noodler's Black... :thumbup:

---

In all fairness, though, this post can hardly be called a comparison. ;)

Of all my Cross pens, my favorite is the Solo. I also own three Townsends (Jade, Lapis Lazuli, and Sterling Silver) and a Metropolis.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

got two verves...

merlot xf nib and platinum m nib.

hard to say which is my favorite between the two...

but the platinum (though i dont use it as much) has a smoother nib.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Cross Townsend. It's a great pen as far as writing goes but I think they designed a poor cartidge....too darn small. I like the big Watermen cartridges.....big.

My favorite Cross pen is the Solo, F nib. I have a green one, with converter, and I love it. It was one of the first pens I bought when I jumped back into my former addiction, and I even bought a few to give as gifts, which I still have.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

My daily writer is a black lacquer Townsend with gold trim; the nib (M) is either 14 or 18k. I'm not too interested in Cross pens as a whole...this one's just got a lot of sentimental value. (My first FP. My grandparents gave it to me...late middle school, I'm guessing.)

Long before I knew how much it was worth...or even how to use it!

When the cartridge ran dry the first time, I filled the converter up with some purple Higgins Black Magic. Yikes! Not an FP-safe ink...and I never washed anything out! Years later I unearthed said mess, panicked, and ran the Koh-I-Noor Rapido-EZE cleaning solution I use on my dip pens through the converter/nib unit a few times.

Not a perfect solution—but it resurrected my pen, so I was happy. (Probably helped that Higgins' ink is relatively cruddy; if I'd been using a higher-quality ink back then, I might not have been so successful!)

keeping an eye out for: a vintage ED with a battered body but a superflex+ nib...and more M640s. ;)

My new (and only) cross townsend 10K arrived today. What a wonderful fountain pen. I think I'll be switching out my pelikan 605 and start using this one for quite some time.

Current Fountain Pens:

Pelikan M605 - 2007

Lamy 2000 - 2007

Montblanc Meisterstuck Chopin - 2007

Montblanc Meisterstuck Mozart - 2007

Parker 51 (1950s) - 2007

Cross Townsend 10K - 2007

Lamy Studio - 2007

• 1 month later...

Without any doubt the Townsend Lapis Lazuli

but not until these nice people in Luton changed the fine nib to a medium

and I changed the Cross ink which used to dry up while writing (too old perhaps?)

for a common Parker 'Quink'

I now use the really excellent Rohrer&Klingner Leiziger Schwarz black ink

Has to be my Townsend Sienna with GT, beautifully hefty with length and grasp. I like to cap it and enjoy it swing my handwriting style into aciton. Might be too much on a long writing session. Might need the Apogee, with its girth and shorter length for that...or a Waterman Carene. Hmmm...

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

I like the Verve. It has an interesting design, comprised of ovals of different sizes. It also is a larger and wider pen, unlike Cross's other offerings.

I have four favorites:

1. Black Townsend with gold trim

2. Lapis Lazuli Townsend with gold trim

3. 18K Gold Townsend

4. Sienna Brown Townsend with gold trim

Cross has always done excellent work with silver and gold. I prefer the gold.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212