Problem with Mont Blanc Voltaire

Scottish007

All:

Last year, I received a MB Voltaire as a gift. It never wrote well, in fact, it leaked continually which made it impossible to use. In February of this year, I took the pen to the "boutique" in NYC. I asked for this pen to be repaired as it leaked.

Roll forward to August, the pen is finally back from Germany. Now they want to charge me around $70 for the repairs.

1. I never authorized repairs to be made. In fact, I did receive an estimate for repairs period.

2. They replaced the feeder and the barrel. If I never used the pen, how can I have caused this damage?

3. I have had to call no less than 10 times to ask for an update on the repairs. Talk about slow!

I have asked for a more detailed explanation of the repairs that were completed, and expect a call back this week. For the collective wisdom of the board:

1. Should I pay the $70?

2. Is 6 months too long for a repair?

3. Is MB always this difficult to deal with?

Responses appreciated,

Paul

Scottish007

What Would William Wallace Do? (WWWWD)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scottish007

• southpaw

• Dillo

• Allan

Guest Denis Richard

Hi Paul,

1. No

2. Yes

3. don't know...

My personal take on this is that unauthorized repairs are never to be paid... just like in a car shop.

I have never dealt with MB, but usually the reports on their customer service is rather good, so I'm a bit astonished.

I would make sure to know who is charging the $70. Is it MB or the Boutique ? You may have a slightly unethical manager there...

Good luck, and let us know.

Denis.

Edited by Denis Richard

Hi,

Right, unethical. Half a year for repair? That is too long. I would die of withdrawal by then.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Sounds like a bad situation. Personally, I believe it should be covered by warranty and that you should have been notified of any charges before they were incurred. However, we should also consider the possible other side.

They may have taken, "I'd like this pen repaired" as an authorization to do whatever was necessary to fix it. They may have also felt that $70 wasn't much given the price of many MBs (don't know what yours is worth). Not taking sides - just trying to think it through.

Hope you get it resolved amicably and quickly.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Being in the service business myself I can understand it both ways. If for example your attitude when you walked in assumed that it would be a warranty repair and you said "I want this fixed" or something similar, a quote may not have been needed. Then again, it may have been the person you were dealing with who made the assumptions.

Either way if you havent had it a year it should be warranty unless it was damaged by use, which you deny. Often repair people assume you are the guilty party any time something is broken even when it is broken in transit, in manufacturing, or it just fails.

If it were me (and soon will be as I am about to take in a 149) I would politely discuss the situation, in person, with the rep you dealt with. If this fails, politely ask for the manager. Do not try this over the phone, do not do this in mail, do this in person or not at all. Always be polite, do not raise your voice, calmly explain your line of thinking. If this fails, ask for the name and number for a regional manager and go from there.

In my line when a customer gets upset and raises their voice that flips the "bite me" switch automatically, and although I will continue to be polite, and continue discussing the situation with the customer, I will never budge after that point. If you ask for my manager you will get to talk to him, right after I have a chat with him and flip his "bite me" switch as well. Remember that my manager knows me personally, and deals with me every day. I make lots of customers very happy and he doesnt know you from Adam, guess who he will side with. Screaming and threatening gets you absolutely nothing. If however you are respectful and calm, but unsatisfied, I will do whatever I can to turn you into a satisfied customer.

Hope this insight helps!

Allan

Great advice all! I love the fact that I have been given both sides, or perspectives. I truly appreciate the time and effort everyone took to read and respond to my post.

I am still in the process of dealing with MB. I have not decided exactly how to handle the situation, but I let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Scottish007

Scottish007

The saga continues..........

I arrived home today to find a small package on my door step. Not hidden, but in plain view, a brown package. What could this be?, I haven't order any books from Amazon recently.

Lo and behold, it is my limited edition fountain pen from Mont Blanc! How kid of them to ship with no signature required! (FYI, I live in a very nice neighborhood but just like anywhere in the US, we cars broken into and personal property stolen)

I carefully removed the pen from the box, barely remembering what it looked like from February this year. Yes.....nicely polished. Let's fill her with ink.....

Oh no! This does not feel right at all. Very rough against the page. Let's take a look at the nib.....you have got to be kiddin'!!!!!!!!!

Yes folks, the nib is misaligned. The right hand is visibly above the left. I am furious that they sent this pen back after eight months with the nib in such terrible condition.

I plan on calling Mont Blanc tomorrow, but quite honestly I have no idea what to do. Send the pen to Germany again? As for a repair refund? Ask for another pen instead? Take the pen to a pen store and ask them to fix (most will not touch MBs)

Limited edition Mont Blanc that leaks ink - $795

Unauthorized charge to repair new pen - $70

Receiving pen back after eight months with a misaligned nib.........priceless

Not so happen Scottish007

:angry: :rolleyes: :(

Scottish007

Guest Denis Richard

That's a cool saga... :D Say, does the package come straight from Germany or from the NYC Boutique ? Because I really can't believe that the mothership would give that bad of a service... while a boutique... well... it all depends on the manager.

Denis, good question. I believe it came from the "central location", not NYC or Germany.

Scottish007

Denis, it shows Bethlehem, PA on the invoice, presumably the distribution center for MB US???

Scottish007