Platinum 200 long-short pen

J-san

I am often out and about with some form of writing instrument in my pocket. If I go out wearing a shirt with a chest pocket, then I have the convenience of clipping a larger pen there. If I am without such a pocket, then my pen will reside in my pants pocket clipped to the hem or loose inside. In the times before I had gotten into fountain pens, I used to carry a Fisher Bullet Space Pen due to its compact size. Recently, I acquired a new addition to my collection - a Platinum 200 long-short pen, purchased from NeoTiger.

--- Design, Fit, and Finish ---

The 200 is a fairly compact pen at a length of 12.1cm capped and grows to a length of 14.6cm posted. The elongated cap and stubby body sections are made of aluminum. A stepped gold-trimmed band serves as a stop for the cap and the junction between the body and nib sections. All sections fit together precisely without wobble. The nib section is composed of a smooth black plastic ending in a 18K gold fine point nib. The elongated cap sports a spring-loaded clip that has a firm tension and clips securely, even to thin fabrics. It caps up smoothly without any kind of mechanical retention, utilizing a precise friction-fit between the inner plastic liner and the nib section. Posting the cap lengthens the pen to a more comfortable length for those with larger hands, but I never found it uncomfortable writing unposted. Because the cap is constructed of lightweight aluminum, posting does not alter the pen's balance point much at all. The cap posts very securely with a strong friction-fit, so no worries about the cap falling off accidentally. The cap grips the alumunim body section so well that if you un-post with a left-hand twist, it will unscrew the body from the nib section.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/P7282091.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/P7282092.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/P7282094.jpg

--- Nib, Writing, and Filling ---

The highlight of the pen is its fine point 18K gold nib that offers a "lively" writing experience. Among the pens I own, the 200 has the most flexible nib. I don't want to give the idea that this is a flex nib, so I will say it is "soft" and yields under mild pressure to give a small amount of line width variation. I cannot say how it compares to the Namiki Falcon's soft nib as I have never handled one before. But, I am very happy with the 200's nib. In addition to its slightly flexible characteristic, it is very smooth in all directions with a light bit of tooth due to its fine point. Flipping the nib over gives an even finer line, albeit a very toothy (almost scratchy) feel.

On the nib are a number of engravings. The top is engraved with "18K" with the letters "S&N" in a logo appearing to be a globe. On the side is the company brand "Platinum" and what appears to be kanji on the opposite side, but too small for me to make out legibly. I assume one side is engraved with the English name and the other side with the name in Japanese.

The 200 accepts Platinum cartridges, and I assume, their converter as well. My pen arrived with an empty cart, which I promptly filled with Noodler's black (possibly my favourite ink). With said ink, the pen lays down a narrow line with just the right amount of wetness to give a nice opaque black, but not take forever to dry or bleed thru paper. I experimented with varying my writing pressure to induce line width variation, but found it to be more difficult than I imagined. I am definately deficient in my handwriting skills! Part of the difficulty may lie in how fine the nib is - applying pressure on the upstroke stabs the point into the paper. Downstrokes are much easier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/P7282093.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/P7282096.jpg

--- Final Thoughts ---

A very nice pocket pen, indeed! I like the brushed aluminum look of the 200 and how it retains full-sized functionality in a compact package. I am especially impressed with the nib and how well it writes. I think I have found a top contender for my EDC pen when I am without a shirt pocket.

Jason's current rotation:

Lamy 2000 eyedropper

Parker '51' Vac

Sailor Pro Gear

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rroossinck

• Silvermink

• Keng

• docsamson

Hey nice review J-san!

Really glad that you like the pen. I'm thinking maybe the kanji on the side says "fine characters"?

The 200 accepts Platinum cartridges, and I assume, their converter as well.

I understand that a Platinum converter would not fit your pen. The Platinum converter does not fit Platinum pens which have long sections and short barrels.

Good review J-san. I have 3 long cap pens myself. All are 18k nibs. It's not possible for the current Platinum converter to fit in these pens. Anyone wants to let go of their older and out of production Platinum or Sailor short converter?

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

Thanks for the great review. I love your Platinum. I have a long cap as well, a PKB-3001 that I purchased from Russ on eBay.

Platinum's nib are some of my favorites but alas, as the others have stated, no converter for this size pen. Love to get a full size one day.

Is it me or is Platinum the hardest Japanese brand to find in the U.S.?

Brad

I had the chance to write with this pen while at dinner with Jason the other night. Hold the phones, kids. This one is definitely top-notch! That nib...it's to die for, especially for the XF/Finer crowd!

Jason - don't show that pen to James Keuning if you ever bump into him. He'll mug you and run away with it.

I'm on a quest to find one of these. Is Russ Stutler my best bet?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Found a little gold ring while cleaning up the other day, did not know what it fit.

Your review had me looking at my Long Cap and guess what, the ring was gone.

I can't get over the great little flexy nib.

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

Ryan: Contact "Stan" here on FPN, and ask to join his Japanese Pen Sales mailing list. Avoid Russ - his pricing has left the real world and his auctions are very hyped these days. Better prices can be had elsewhere.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Jason - don't show that pen to James Keuning if you ever bump into him. He'll mug you and run away with it.

Unless my Marketplace Sailor Long Cap comes in first!

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

• 1 year later...

Recently I acquired a Platinum pocket pen with 18K soft fine nib, which writes pretty well. Its looks is very similar to Pilot Elite. I'm wondering if there is any relationship between these two? Is it possible that both of them use the ink cartridges?

Nice pen :) , I would have thought it was MYU or perhaps did Pilot and Platinum share the same designs?

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 4 months later...

I just purchased an 18K-nibbed Platinum pocket pen today from speerbob for a very nice price - looking forward to receiving it! He actually has one up there with a 22K nib for very slightly more, but the silver/blue body didn't really appeal to me.

I also purchased a Pilot Elite from him recently, though it's one of the cheaper ones with the plated nib, so I don't know if a shootout would be fair. :)

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased two Platinum PG-250s (black plastic) from Speerbob, and I am much happier with these than with any of the many Elites I have owned. Who copied who again?

By the way, a full-sized Platinum converter can be modified to fit. Look here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=62058

It works, and the converter can still be used in the full-sized pen. In addition, these came with adapters for short International cartridges.

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

I just received my PG-250 from Speerbob as well - I purchased a converter to fit it from him for an additional $5. It's a squeeze converter with a transparent sac.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• 5 years later...