The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Levenger True Writer Episode 1

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sleek_lover

sleek_lover

Sleek Lover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:25

For a number of reasons, all of which will become very clear over the next several weeks I will be doing a series of Lev TW reviews...

Tonight, it is the Old Style F nib...this one is in the BLACK model issued in April, 2000. I pulled this pen out of my pen chest a couple of days ago, slipped a PR VELVET BLACK cartridge in it (after pulling out a LEV double ended something or another that was in it for God knows how long...I sometimes slip up on tidiness...) and after a quick dunk in some cold coffee put it to work making notes on some recruiting calls. After a bit of stiffness, the pen cleared its sinuses and has been performing just outstandingly. As most of you know, I am a non-poster and the pen balances nicely for my nearly vertical hold and the look of the pen is, for a TRAD, just a treat. One thing I have always liked about the TWs is that Steve never really wemt fpr the gaudy. He has kept the pens "true" to the chosen legacy of the Esterbrooks.

I have always thought the nibs were made by Waterman. There is a great similarity between the TW nibs and the Phil/Kulture nibs. Nobody at Levenger has ever confirmed my thought, but for this review, I eyeballed a Phil F and the TW F and the similarity, to my unaided eye, is there. But then, I am biased toward both pens...so it could be wishful thinking.

As to the nib's performace, I alluded to it earlier. It lays down what I would consider a true American F. In later commentaries I will probably do some scans of the various old style TW nib widths the way I write, but I am very happy with the F line laid.

There is no hesitation, no skipping and as noted, the pen has surely not been particularly coddled. Richard B., in a post earlier today quoted Frank D's great line, which I paraphrase...Ferchrssake..they are PENS, not fercacktah JEWELRY!!!

There is another issue...and one that makes it hard to sell my pens..excess or otherwise. Each time I bring a pen out of the quiver...a pen I haven't used in a while, I fall for it again...and I kick myself for ever thinking I could sell it... This is the situation with this particular TW...It is gonna be here a while...

So...
Function 9 of 10
Form 7 of 10 (It ain't a SLEEK, it's a TRAD)
Imponderables 10 of 10
Total 26 of 30

Bill

Sponsored Content

#2 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:06

QUOTE(paircon01 @ Jul 26 2007, 09:25 PM) View Post
...and after a quick dunk in some cold coffee put it to work making notes on some recruiting calls...

Classic. smile.gif

I was just thinking of doing a review of these, too. Guess I've got to find some cold coffee to work with...

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#3 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:47

Thanks for the review, Bill. I like True Writers, too smile.gif

Now, what is this "Old Style F nib" of which you speak?
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#4 sleek_lover

sleek_lover

Sleek Lover

• Member - Gold

• 1,073 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2007 - 13:51

QUOTE(Maja @ Jul 27 2007, 12:47 AM) View Post

Mornin' Maja...
The pen was issued in April 2000, and at that time I was in a really open pen buying posture....so dollars to donuts, it was purchased shortly thereafter...

The nib is fixed...that is, the nib can not be removed. The newer TWs screw-out replaceable nibs, ala Esterbrooks. Hence, MY designation (not Levenger's) of the nib as OLD style...

Hope that helps in the differentiation...

Bill...

#5 vermillionpart4

vermillionpart4

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 15:45

The newer TWs screw-out replaceable nibs, ala Esterbrooks

do you know of any nibs that would fit into a newer TW? I've emailed levenger to ask if it's possible to buy just a new nib but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

#6 Univer

Univer

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,444 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 15:57

QUOTE(vermillionpart4 @ Jul 27 2007, 03:45 PM) View Post
The newer TWs screw-out replaceable nibs, ala Esterbrooks

do you know of any nibs that would fit into a newer TW? I've emailed levenger to ask if it's possible to buy just a new nib but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Hi,

You might want to check out a post from Ryan Rasmussen, of Levenger, in this thread:

http://www.fountainp...mp;#entry234597

You'll note that Ryan provides the item numbers for the individual TW nibs. I haven't ordered any myself, and I can't warrant that these numbers are still correct; but this is, at least, a place to start.

Cheers,

Jon

#7 vermillionpart4

vermillionpart4

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 16:40

YAY!! exactly what i was looking for!! thanks a million! Bold nib here i come!

the different nib styles coming are especially exciting!

#8 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:30

QUOTE(paircon01 @ Jul 27 2007, 06:51 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Maja @ Jul 27 2007, 12:47 AM) View Post

Mornin' Maja...
The pen was issued in April 2000, and at that time I was in a really open pen buying posture....so dollars to donuts, it was purchased shortly thereafter...

The nib is fixed...that is, the nib can not be removed. The newer TWs screw-out replaceable nibs, ala Esterbrooks. Hence, MY designation (not Levenger's) of the nib as OLD style...

Hope that helps in the differentiation...

Bill...

Right....the newer screw-out replaceable nibs vs. the old style ones....I haven't been online as much as usual due to my job, so I didn't read the recent posts on the subject. Thanks for clarifying that, Bill. Now, you've got me thinking about what you mean by the first line in your review! wink.gif

#9 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• 5,232 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 22:36

For those of us who are averse to c/c fillers, any comments as to whether or not TWs are candidates for eye-dropper fill conversion? Any metal inside? Is the barrel water tight? Inquiring minds want to know.
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#10 sleek_lover

sleek_lover

Sleek Lover

• Member - Gold

• 1,073 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2007 - 18:10

QUOTE(southpaw @ Jul 28 2007, 06:36 PM) View Post
For those of us who are averse to c/c fillers, any comments as to whether or not TWs are candidates for eye-dropper fill conversion? Any metal inside? Is the barrel water tight? Inquiring minds want to know.

Have no idea. Have not really ever given it a great deal of thought. The pens come with a converter, take long and short international carts, I refill carts with a syringe and I work at home. Plus I have 300+ pens, so I don't run out of toys.

That said, the barrels are of some non-metallic material (I will point out there is some porosity...the white and tangerine colors do discolor with use of dark ink) but whether it is an acrylic, some sort of resin, or what, I have not a clue. Truth be told, other than the MB exploding resin, I don't care.

I would say...buy one off'n eBay, silicon putty up the thread and have at it...

Bill

#11 vermillionpart4

vermillionpart4

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 22:16

I've heard of them successfully being converted to eyedroppers but I wouldn't know how to go about it myself

Edit: Also,

You'll note that Ryan provides the item numbers for the individual TW nibs. I haven't ordered any myself, and I can't warrant that these numbers are still correct; but this is, at least, a place to start.

I just got an email back from levenger and they gave me the same numbers so they're still good

Edited by vermillionpart4, 29 July 2007 - 22:19.

#12 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:21

QUOTE(vermillionpart4 @ Jul 29 2007, 03:16 PM) View Post
I've heard of them successfully being converted to eyedroppers but I wouldn't know how to go about it myself

Well, it's really quite easy and generally no "conversion" is needed. You just have to remove any cartridge or convertor that is there, and then fill the barrel directly with ink using an eyedropper or syringe and then screw the barrel back on. It might be wise to use some 100% pure silicone grease (*not* adhesive/glue) on the barrel threads to help ensure an inkproof seal. The main concern is the ink causing permanent barrel staining and/or reacting with any metal in the barrel.

Edited by Maja, 31 July 2007 - 06:21.

Sponsored Content

|