Waterman Hemisphere

Macuser

Has anyone had any experience with a Waterman Hemisphere? I am intrigued by their good looks, but I haven't been able to find one in person to check out. It is hard to guage on a computer screen just how thin they are. Any insight would be appreciated.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Macuser

• j88st

• Ernst Bitterman

• Pelifan

I have a green Hermisphere, with a fine nib. It's a little slimmer than most of my general use pens (Legacy and Preludes), and I think a smidge longer. It's solid but not too heavy in my hand, and writes smoothly. I think it would make a good beginning fountain pen -- actually, a sturdy, elegant beginning to midrange fountain pen.

(Being the blithe idiot that I am, I managed to jam a non-Waterman cartridge into the body of it, in such a way that I cannot remove it. I may bring it to the Pen Show in September, and look wistfully at people until someone helps me unjam it.)

(And if you have friends who are Harry Potter fans, I will observe that the green and chrome one is Slytherin colors. I had to buy a second one for myself, because I got the first one just about the time of a friend's birthday, and it seemed like the perfect gift for her.)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. I just finished the latest Harry Potter book, so your observation made me smile!

Edited by Macuser

My very first FP was a Stainless Steel Hemisphere. My friends all nicknamed it the "Uberpen." I continue to use it pretty much constantly and really like it. It is on the thin side, but I prefer my pens that way.

kathy wc

We find rest in those we love, and we provide a resting place in ourselves for those who love us.--Bernard of Clairvaux

Guest JohanO

I own a Waterman Hemisphere stainless steel chrome trim. It is a lovely pen! The quality is great, especially when you consider the price of this pen. I have mine equipped with a converter, and filled with Waterman Black. It starts immediately after you hit the paper, and writes smoothly. It is a heavy pen, but not too heavy; it has the feel of quality. I prefer the medium nib, because the fine is too fine for me. When you compare it to the Parker 45 the Hemisphere definitely is the better quality pen! Recommended!

The more I look at the Hemisphere and the Aurora Ipsilon, I am leaning towards the Aurora Ipsilon. However, a funny thing happened while on the Internet. My fiance saw me obsessing over pens again, and saw the metallic green Hemisphere. She can't stop talking about it.

Last week she was nagging me about buying pens. Today she is hinting that I should buy one for her. Has this happened to other people?

Guest Denis Richard
Last week she was nagging me about buying pens. Today she is hinting that I should buy one for her. Has this happened to other people?

Nope... but I would cash on the opportunity if it ever happened with my wife :lol: A nice package would arrive home with a few pens, including the one she likes :D

Hi,

My sister was hinting me once and I got her a pen just like mine, but with a different colour.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

We have a trip to the pen store planned for Saturday. I decided to order a Cross ATX from Fountain Pen Hospital for me. She will pick one out on Saturday. Wish me luck!

• 2 years later...

Hi!!

I recently bought my Waterman Hemisphere in shimmering grey with a medium nib! I absolutely love it....smooth writer (compared to my Tombow Object) and a nice weighty feel. I've now dropped it twice in the space of 2 days and very lucky that no nib damage has occured. Next step is to be less clumsy!

• 1 month later...
I have mine equipped with a converter, and filled with Waterman Black.

I'm also thinking of buying this pen as my first fountain pen (since elementary school that is) but now I'm wondering what a converter is. Could someone please be so kind as to explain to me what they are? Thanks a lot!

I have mine equipped with a converter, and filled with Waterman Black.

I'm also thinking of buying this pen as my first fountain pen (since elementary school that is) but now I'm wondering what a converter is. Could someone please be so kind as to explain to me what they are? Thanks a lot!

Hi, the converter is basically a refillable ink cartridge. The advantage of using one is that you can use any of the various colour fountain pen ink available.

Regards.

The more I look at the Hemisphere and the Aurora Ipsilon, I am leaning towards the Aurora Ipsilon. However, a funny thing happened while on the Internet. My fiance saw me obsessing over pens again, and saw the metallic green Hemisphere. She can't stop talking about it.

Lucky dog. I've been trying to talk my wife into my (pen) fetish for some time. "C'mon sweetie, try it. You'll really like it."

She hasn't though, so I'm left to buy my pens all by myself. I don't know if she will ever understand why I must continue to buy more pens.

Jim

Hi, the converter is basically a refillable ink cartridge. The advantage of using one is that you can use any of the various colour fountain pen ink available.

Regards.

Okay, thanks a bunch!

I have a blue Hemisphere fountain pen and a red roller ball. They have to be among the pens I own that I like the least. I found them to be clunky in their heft, and the nib was not very impressive. I don't think I've inked it for regular writing in years.

I love mine too. Had to send it back for repair (cap fit too loosely) and I miss it! You'll love the other Waterman ink colors too. I have green, blue, red, purple, and brown. All are nice inks. Haven't tried the black yet, but I will!

"Boldly Ventured Is Half Won"

I love mine too. Had to send it back for repair (cap fit too loosely) and I miss it! You'll love the other Waterman ink colors too. I have green, blue, red, purple, and brown. All are nice inks. Haven't tried the black yet, but I will!

Yeah, and all those inks work fine? Previous to buying mine I read about how it wouldn't work well with Waterman-ink, so I was glad to see mine worked good with it. I'm thinking about getting red ink too, it is getting that time of year :wub:.

Yeah, and all those inks work fine? Previous to buying mine I read about how it wouldn't work well with Waterman-ink, so I was glad to see mine worked good with it. I'm thinking about getting red ink too, it is getting that time of year :wub:.

I personally have had no problem with Waterman ink. I was only able to use the Waterman Blue in the Hemisphere before it went in for repair. I've been using the other Waterman colors in my Cross and Diplomat pens with much pleasure and success!

"Boldly Ventured Is Half Won"

My Hemisphere has been my only pen for 10 years, with Florida Blue. It's is very reliable. I dropped it last week and destroyed the nib. Waterman's rep in Canada sent me a brand new section, complete with nib and feed for $30, shipping included. It's writing again and will last me several more years I'm sure.

I did succumb to buying a second pen last month, and a third one this week. Uh oh :unsure:

Wad.