The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Stuck Pencil Eraser

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bayman

bayman

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 21:14

I need some advise from my fellow Esterbrook FPN members. I just acquired a pastel pen / pencil set. I need to address two items.
1. The eraser is stuck in the cap of the mechanical pencil. Anyone have experience in removing the eraser without damaging the cap?
2. The fountain pen has ink stains on the cap lip. First look it appears there are cracks in the cap lip. Inspection with a loop reveals no lip cracks, just ink stains that I can't clean like I did the body of the pen. Any advise?

JIM

Sponsored Content

#2 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2007 - 16:35

As for item #1 I have no clue but I personaly would wiggle it with some slight tension. The only problem there is that the erasure might come out and leave the "holder" in the pencil. I have a few old pencils but I have been lucky so far and nothing has been stuck. Is the erasure unused?

As for item #2, if a good soak and/or some Flitz polish won't do it then the stain might need to remain. Maybe some Mothers Mag Polish is worth a try. At least it's not cracks.

Edited by EventHorizon, 24 July 2007 - 16:36.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.
Frank Herbert, Dune
US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

#3 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2007 - 19:19

For removing the eraser try using a long pin or dental pick with sharp point. Pierce the eraser (if it is pliable) and try to get it out that way, otherwise you might as well try to pick it out in pieces. If it is hard, it won't be of much use to you anyway.

To clean the cap lip, I would also recommend flitz, put it on a q-tip and gently rub the flitz into the stain. It should come off fairly easily, unless it is Higgins or India ink or something, then you're in trouble. smile.gif

Best-
Brian
www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#4 bayman

bayman

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 13:20

Thank you Brian and Eventhorizon for your advice. Have to get myself a pick and remove the eraser. Sounds like the ink stains may be a bigger problem. Have been away and was anxious to read your advice. Thanks again!

#5 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2007 - 15:00

Let us know how it turns out. We always like pictures!!
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.
Frank Herbert, Dune
US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

Sponsored Content

|