Postcard Swap

notts86

Hello everybody.

I can send postcards from Costa Rica, touristy ones, nothing fancy :( if anybody is interested. Nature, beaches, that sort of things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FredRydr

• sdcurnow

• Okami

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi folks,

Not sure if this is the appropriate place, but I have a lot of random greeting cards (blank inside) with elephants on which I'd be happy to scribble a quick note in and post to anybody, anywhere.

I really like elephants but always think it would be a bit odd to send a card with my 'likes' on to somebody else, hence the build-up.

So if you like elephants, please get in touch with your full postal address :)

I can also send postcards showing scenes of Inverness / Scottish Highlands ;)

I'd like to give this a whirl. I've been swapping postcards on Postcrossing but it's not the same as swapping with fellow fountain pen enthusiasts.

I can send Wisconsin postcards domestically and internationally. I've got some postcards of: sunset/barn, whitetail deer, rural farm, state map, and one of a barn with automotive signage on it. Might have others down the road as well.

I'm particularly interested in cards that show your region (landscapes, cityscapes, iconic buildings, etc.) or your culture, and in unusual materials (e.g. specialty paper, vintage postcards, etc.). I also enjoy both humorous and unusual postcards. No so into advertisements, cartoons, and drawings.

Edited by dvalliere

Postcard Update: I am gathering kitschy Americana postcards I'd forgotten I had (and obtaining more) and adding them to my repertoire. I'm also turning a few dozen of my own travel photos into glossy DIY postcards. The travel photos will mostly be from California and the western U.S. Here are samples of everything, including the movie-themed cards. (I apologize for the lighting deficiencies in the glossy-photo lineups that obscured some images and unfairly caused others to look faded or shiny.)

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Greetings,

I dropped off the postcard swap last year but I am ready to come back.

Based in the UK but travel regularly for work across Europe.

Thanks.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Last Sunday at the antiques market, I noticed a vendor who had loosely piled well over a thousand vintage postcards on his table, wanting 25 cents each. Usually vendors sort them, put them into sleeves, and ask $1, $3, $5 and up for each. Instead, we negotiated a sum for the whole pile, shoved it into a large box and I hauled it home. Sorting took quite a while, but it appears that the final price is less than 1/4-cent for each postcard. About 200 of them are either too old and fragile to survive postal sorting machinery or rejected for other reasons; those will go to pen shows for browsers to take some home for free.

So, if you like any of the following, PM me to swap cards. 3 x 5 vintage in all categories, especially linen style;

- early 20th century B&W or sepia photo cards;

- trains;

- American state capitols;

- Italy (esp. old B&W);

- Netherlands (very old!);

- more trains;

- east-central Pennsylvania coal country;

- most American states, especially Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Arizona;

- Washington DC;

- Philadelphia

- Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive;

- antique automobiles;

- motels (my favorite), hotels & restaurants;

- humor;

and many many more. Oh, and trains and trolleys powered by wood, coal, diesel and electric. Seriously, those are what I have most of, but I have the whole gamut insofar as countries, states, categories and topics.

I also have many unsorted "semi-old" to modern 4 x 6 glossy cards of all types, (e.g. Japan; American states and tourist spots; Britain and Ireland; repro; and many more). And finally I have larger modern cards, mostly art, humor, architecture, Frank Lloyd Wright from Pomegranate. I lean towards the odd or unusual. Some old cards are "re-used" because of entertaining content from up to 110 years ago! (Don't worry, I never re-use your cards!) I rarely buy modern cards unless I stumble upon something special.

PM me if you want to swap.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

Pen2Paper, I was going to PM you about swapping postcards but the system says that you cannot receive any new messages. Perhaps your mailbox is maxed out?

• 3 weeks later...

There are 85 folks subscribed to this thread! In the 1.5 months since I threw my hat into the postcard swap ring, I've only swapped cards with 8 people (counting 2 people who received cards from me but never mailed ones in return). That also counts me sending PMs to pretty much everyone who has posted in the thread for the past 2.5 years.

Is that everyone who wants to swap? Any new takers?

Does anyone have an online site where one can order cool looking or vintage postcards?

Thanks,

Jeff

I've had good luck finding vintage cards at Zazzle.

--Bryan

I've found for successful FPN postcard swaps, I have to take the initiative and contact others. If no reply, that's the end. I swap with 33 FPN members, and there are more fountain pen friends who I see at pen shows who don't "swap," but they tell me they love getting my cards. Half are domestic and half are around the world. I also have 25 Postcrossing.com direct swappers, three of whom are domestic. For some reason, they are heavily Netherlands, Germany, Eastern Europe and Russia. Some drop off, others are added and then there are the hard core who've swapped for years.

I like Pomegranate's postcards. Watch for their $14.95 for 100 postcards sales. For vintage postcards, online is largely sorted and categorized postcards, priced accordingly. Watch for auctions selling postcards and ephemera. Auctionzip. Remember that postcard collectors are willing to pay the price to add to their collections, not to mail them. My county has an historical association that sells reproduction local postcards.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

I've found for successful FPN postcard swaps, I have to take the initiative and contact others. If no reply, that's the end.

As I mentioned, I contacted everyone who had posted in the thread within the past 2.5 years and most folks didn't reply. I was surprised to not even get replies from so many folks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have postcards printed in the 1960s depicting American vintage or antique autos from 1900-1930. Drop me a PM if you want to swap postcards of any sort.

I like postcards of vintage and modern two and three-wheeled transport.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

Fred, the last postcard I sent you is probably going to be quite blurry, because I wanted to see how well my ink would hold on the back of a darkroom-produced photograph. The answer: not very! I'll experiment with pasting down some FP-friendly substrate for the next one (which will probably have a motorcycle on it).

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to get in on this. I'm from Holmes County Ohio - Amish Country.

I'm walking out today for lunch, I will see what kind of cool postcards I can pick up today. We have lots of antique stores in the area, maybe I can pick up some old ones. Instead of the touristy ones. But I may pick up a few of them as well.