Bexley Poseidon

NeoTiger

First Impressions

I'm sure a few people on FPN would've taken notice when the retailers of Bexley started advertising the Bexley Poseidon in the marketplace. Nice pen, vintage styling, and interesting resins. I'm no expert on vintage pens, but I assume the styling of this pen was based on old style Pelikans.

Anyway, I liked the look of the pen but didn't really like the range of resins offered, they just looked too messy. Tortoise was nice, but looked a bit mature for me. I also have a thing against gold trim, so don't even need to think about that. I then saw an eBay seller started offering the Bexley Poseidon in custom resins, including "B&B", Butterscotch, and White. I pounced on one of the earlier auctions for the Blue & Brown, and so ended up with pen #9 out of 28.

http://neotiger.orcon.net.nz/fountain/Poseidon1.jpg

Appearance & Finish

The appearance of the pen is very nice, excellent styling and beautiful resin. This resin was described as Blue & Brown by the seller, but since then the Bexley BX701 was introduced with this resin, and the colour named as Shimmer Blue. I'm not sure which would be the official name, as even the pen box was labelled as Blue & Brown by Bexley.

I would describe the resin as a delicious blend of blue water and brown chocolate, with the top and end caps being plain brown. I never thought I'd like a brown pen, and even now I'd rather the top and end cap were a darker shade of brown, but the overall appearance is very nice. The finish of the pen is top notch of course, as expected from Bexley.

http://neotiger.orcon.net.nz/fountain/Poseidon2.jpg

Design/Size

The pen is a flat top with rounded edges, long cap and short body, small B logo at the top of the clip. The size of the pen is a bit unique, as it has a long cap with a low clip, and the body is quite short considering the width. When capped, the pen appears quite short. The length is long enough to write with without posting (I don't post), but the pen is quite fat. The pen is constructed mostly from resin, so it is light and balanced.

http://neotiger.orcon.net.nz/fountain/Poseidon3.jpg

Size comparison: Bexley FPN Simplicity, Poseidon, Sailor 1911 Naginata-togi

Nib Design & Performance

The nib is the typical Bexley 18k two-tone gold nib made by Bock. I got mine in Medium, which is quite fat... I would've preferred Fine probably, as I usually prefer the japanese medium. But that aside, the nib is nice and smooth, tiny bit of springiness without flex, and the ink flow is generous. Great writer, no complaints here.

Filling System

Cartridge/converter filling system. Most people don't like this, but I sometimes actually prefer C/C because it is easier to clean, easy to see ink level remaining (need to unscrew section of course). The Bexley is a little bit different from other pens however, since the end cap can also be unscrewed (the FPN Ltd Edition Simplicity is the same), you can actually use it like an integrated piston.

Cost/Value

This pen was not cheap, by my standards anyway. I bid the pen from an eBay auction and ended up paying almost $200 including shipping (shipping to Australia was expensive). I usually prefer pens at the $100 or less mark, so this was a big spend for me. I don't regret buying it either way, as it is a great pen.

Conclusion

Great pen, but the shape is a bit different from normal pens. Fat, short, with a long cap. Quality is top notch as expected for Bexley, same for the 18k gold nib.

Edited by MYU

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NeoTiger

• TheNobleSavage

• kpfeifle

• georges zaslavsky

Thanks Neo, great review! One thing I noticed about this pen was that quite a few people are offering it in Special Editions...kind of cool really, I like most of the custom colors.

Kevin

Very well written review, NeoTiger. THANKS for sharing, and enjoy that pen. (Been successfully resisting the urge to pull the trigger on the very same one.)

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Thanks for the review. I too like the custom colors. I wonder about your dealings with the ebay seller. I noted this seller and read the feedback. Interesting feedback. Made me want to back off and wait for more reliable sources such as Parkville Pens in the US.

Melborne Australia. :crybaby: My grandson lives in Brisbane. At least closer than the USA.

Hi Rob....

Yeah the dealer isn't the easiest guy to deal with.... it was a case of I won the auction, I send money, I got the pen... with minimal contact between me and the seller. I actually did ask the seller to swap for a Fine nib, but I recieved a Medium anyway and I figured it wasn't worth shipping back for the exchange.

The dealer is a case of "if nothing goes wrong, then everything's fine" sort of thing.

Fine review of a unique pen.

The Poseidon has a VERY short pocket depth which is useful with many of today's shirts.

It's pocket depth is 110mm (4-3/8"). That is 15mm (over a half inch) shorter than even the Parker "51" Demi which is at 125mm (4-15/16").

Bill

Good review and nice looking pen, Neo. Will be looking out for these SE in the future.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

I was going to buy the Parkville pen LE of the Poseidon but I was slow in doing it, so no pen for me!! :crybaby:

Oh well, such is life!! Nice review and I am glad that you are happy with your pen. As with most Bexley pens, they are fantastic and dont disappoint!!! BTW, your review was added to the master list this morning!

TNS

I know the Sailor nibs run a finer line than their counter parts, but what about smoothness at the extra fine levels. I have noticed that all Extra Fine nibs seem to be a little "toothier" than the the wider points. I was wondering how Sailor Extra Fines might compare to say a Pelikan, Cross, or Watermant Extra fine in the smoothness area.

Do they tend to be wetter or drier than the average?

Thanks

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Excellent review Neo Tiger ;) I bought my Bexley Americana today and I have to agree with you about Bexley top notch writing quality.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time