Duke D2

UncleNick

The Duke D2

This is a pen I bought on a whim, I had read generally positive reviews on the different Duke models and there was a good looking pen on ebay so my itchy mouse finger hit the button. This is my first review, I own five pens in total and have not tried many more – this should put my review into perspective for the seasoned veterans amongst the FPN.

First Impressions:

The simple padded envelope arrived in the mail, all the way from Hong Kong in less than one week (lovely bird stamps on the envelope!). Inside is a very smart box inside a cardboard sleeve. I was immediately impressed by the presentation, not that it matters much as the box is going to the back of a cupboard. The box contains the pen and also a small brochure describing a little of the history of Duke and instructions on pen operation and maintenance.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1237/861570...b6972ee.jpg?v=0

Appearance and Finish:

The D2 is a lustrous black plastic/resin (don’t know the difference, sorry) and feels nice to the touch. The clip, rings and cap are accented with chrome. The pen is very nicely designed and the cap ring chrome pattern is a really nice touch. To the untrained eye you might think this a far more expensive pen. The clip is quite tight but functional and it has the company logo (crown) at the top. The cap is a little different, when you push the cap on initially you have the horrible feeling that you are jamming the nib into something. Fear not, the cap is snug and clips smartly into place with a magnet, no nibs were harmed in researching this review. It also posts quite securely. All the pen fittings are very clean, no obvious flaws or sloppiness in the manufacturing. I would describe the pen as elegant but not over the top.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1094/861570...8090010.jpg?v=0

Design, Size, Weight:

The pen is very similar to the Sailor 1911 in size. It is a little over 5.5” long when capped, 6.25” when posted and a little over 0.5” diameter. The length is just right for me and it feels very comfortable posted. The D2 is one of the heavier pens I own, a little heavier than my Lamy Studio and significantly heavier than my 1911. I like the solid feel to the D2.

Nib design and performance:

The D2 has a medium "gold iridium" nib (not entirely sure what is meant by this) and is engraved with the crown logo above “Duke” and “Germany”. I flushed the pen with water on receipt and then filled with Private Reserve Sherwood Green. The pen immediately worked on contact with paper and is smooth. It is not quite as smooth as my Sailor 1911, you do feel the paper but it is by no means scratchy. It starts up immediately when left for a few minutes through the course of a day. The nib lays a consistent line and does not skip when I take scrawled notes at speed. The line thickness is similar to my Sailor medium. I am very impressed by the D2 and it will definitely be a daily user.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1131/861570...24aaad5.jpg?v=0

Filling System:

The D2 comes with a standard converter, nothing special but it works well and it has a decent capacity. The pen will also take international cartridges.

Cost/Value:

This is where the Duke D2 shines. I paid $6.99 for the pen. Add in $13.00 shipping and I have a wonderful performer for $19.99. Who said there are no bargains anymore?

Conclusion:

The Duke D2 is a gem, it has looks and it performs wonderfully. Everybody should own one!

* The photos used are taken from the vendor “topsellshop”. I have no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by UncleNick

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyHayes

• UncleNick

• dayonfire

• andy b

Thanks for the review. I bought one on the strength of it and other excellent reviews of Duke pens here.

i think hisnibs sells this pen as the Duke Silver Rings. i have one of them and it is a very smooth writer. i keep mine inked up and use it regularly.

andy b.

B)-->

QUOTE(andy b @ Jul 22 2007, 08:47 PM) 336493[/snapback]
i think hisnibs sells this pen as the Duke Silver Rings. i have one of them and it is a very smooth writer. i keep mine inked up and use it regularly.

andy b.

The Duke Silver Rings sold by hisnibs is the same as the D2; however, hisnibs sells it for $35, don't know what shipping is. isellpens has it for 14.99, with 9.00 shipping, total $23.99. Topsellpens on eBay sells it for 6.99 with 13.99 shipping, total 20.98.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

I have also seen the D2 listed as Silver Rings - never seen the two together in person but they look like the same pen. I use this one at work every day for notes, planner etc, I'm consistently impressed by it.

Nick

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a D2/Silver Rings in the mail as we speak. I paid $7.50 (w/ $5.99 s&h) on eBay. Sounds like I may have a good deal on my hands.

Anything a new owner should know about prepping this pen for daily use or care? I am a writer and plan to journal with it daily (Clairefontaine, Moleskine, and Apica journals).

Ink suggestions? I regularly use Lamy black.

Thanks!

Michael

www.thedayonfire.com

I just filled mine with ink. It was perfect out of the box.

It's one of those fountain pens that you don't mind handing to others to use whilst keeping your good ones out of their hands!

• 2 weeks later...

Received my super inexpensive D2 (D10?)...Silver Rings...excellent out of the box. Super buttery nib.

Using Sheaffer Blue-Black. My new daily writer. Looking forward to trying it on new journals:

Myndology

OE, inc. (out of Sante Fe...anyone have a review of these?)

Apica

Cheers, guys.

m.

• 4 years later...

I am curious about the reference to a magnet in the cap. Since I carry my iPhone in the same shirt pocket as my pen du jour, I am concerned about having a magnet so near to it.

Mike