The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Jinhao Chinese Emperors Pattern Fountain Pen

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Wizergig

Wizergig

Sailor

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 00:22

This is my first review so please be gentle with me.
I purchased this pen from Ebay. It was moderately pricey, but I liked the way it looked, and took a gamble. I am pleased that I did.

Appearance and finish

This is a metal of sorts with some nice laser engraving, and gold color fill. The inlays all have clean crisp lines, and there seem to be no missing lines. The pen is most likely brass ( I am sure) with an enamel finish. The finish is put on very well with no defects, and a nice deep shine to the polishing. The cap is a snap on that fits firmly, and works very well.

Size and Weight

With the cap on this pen is 142mm / 5.59 inches. With the cap removed form nib to tail it is 126mm / 4.95 inches. Posted it is 158mm / 6.25 inches. The Barrel is 14.7mm / .580 inches in diameter. The cap is 16.17mm / .636 inches X 66mm / 2.59 inches.
I have no way acurately measure the weight, but it is a heavy pen to me although it was listed as a medium weight. I know that a cup of coffe makes a good counter-weight.
It fits well in my hand posted or not, and while much weight is in the cap it is not so long when posted that it is hard to manage. The design of the pen seems to just deliver the weight down to the nib with no real ackward top heavy balancing act.

Nib Design and Function

I am a sucker for a good looking nib, and this pen certainly fits the bill. This is a longer nib at almost 1 inch from the end of the barrel to the tip. It is 18 KGP with nice lines in the engraving. It lays down a medium-fine line that is fairly wet. It is very smooth, reminding me of greased skies on an icy snow slope. I only wish my Pelikans came this smooth, and it is the highlight of the pen for me.

Overall Impression

I spent about $50.00 on this pen, and although it is large, and heavy, I have no regret. It really is easy to use, and looks very nice. The smooth wetness of the nib, combined with the good looks makes it one that I will have pleasure using at home. I don't think I'll carry it around much due to the size. There was one dissapointment to this pen, and it is purely a personal thing. The Cap is a snap cap, and not a screw on. I think a pen this size, and good looking that writes as well as it does, should have a screw on cap. If I could trim it down some, and change that one feature, I could have well found the perfect pen for me.

I hope this review has been helpful in some way, and in that I would've made some small contribution to FPN.

Chuck

"LIFE………….is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What A Ride!"

Sponsored Content

#2 Nimrud

Nimrud

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 18:02

Hmm this looks like it commemorates the first emperor of the Tang dynasty, Li Shi Min.

#3 bob393

bob393

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 21:10

Great looking pen, Thanks!
Bob Frey
Goshen, NY

#4 Renzhe

Renzhe

Immune

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:15

How's the plating quality on the nib?
Renzhe

#5 Wizergig

Wizergig

Sailor

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 14:28

On this pen the plating looks very good. As it does on the other one I have (which is still awaiting a review). The lines are crisp with no overflow, and the distinctions are clear. There are no places of missing plating which I can see. I can not tell you the microns as there is no way to know, but it all seems to flow well with good contrast, and smoothnes.
"LIFE………….is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What A Ride!"

#6 Renzhe

Renzhe

Immune

• Member - Gold

• 859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2007 - 22:04

Thanks...Now if I could find one in black or almost black, I'd hit it.

Edited by Renzhe, 29 July 2007 - 22:05.

Renzhe

#7 nigeldun

nigeldun

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 16:03

QUOTE(Renzhe @ Jul 29 2007, 06:04 PM) View Post
Thanks...Now if I could find one in black or almost black, I'd hit it.

I have a black one, and it's awesome. Also, a rather ugly fake wood one that's equally good. I've tried a lot of Chinese pens, and my favorites are Jinhao's, Dinuoyangs, and Wing Sungs.

Yeah, the names sound stupid, but these in my experience deliver better results than, say, Heros or Dukes.

Nigel Duncan

Edited by nigeldun, 09 August 2007 - 15:57.

#8 AndyHayes

AndyHayes

Too Many Pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2007 - 16:18

Excellent review. Very good photos. Thanks for introducing me to a pen I had not heard of.

#9 Renzhe

Renzhe

Immune

• Member - Gold

• 859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:05

Yeah...I found a black one on fleabay a while ago and ordered it, thanks to your review. I think I'll review it once (if?) it arrives.
Renzhe

#10 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2007 - 22:22

Very good review for a first-timer wink.gif. Not my taste but I agree the nib is pretty! And for $50.00!!
Enjoy it!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#11 RLTodd

RLTodd

Thor's Legions

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2007 - 22:59

QUOTE(Wizergig @ Jul 19 2007, 05:22 PM) View Post

This is a metal of sorts ....

Probably brass, which seem to be the metal of preference for most ChiCom pens. Not sure why, might be a cultural preference for a heavier writing instrument. Might be something to do with a writing system that utilized a brush rather than a quill.
YMMV

#12 isellpens

isellpens

isellpens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:24

We have many Jinhao pens on my site at: www.isellpens.com . I have been very happy with the quality and performance of these pens. My prices are much cheaper than what you could buy on eBay.

#13 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:30

QUOTE(isellpens @ Aug 13 2007, 11:54 AM) View Post
We have many Jinhao pens on my site at: www.isellpens.com . I have been very happy with the quality and performance of these pens. My prices are much cheaper than what you could buy on eBay.
I am so disagree with you on the price bit but now you are charging something like $25.00 for postage Id rather buy on ebay thanks.

#14 Renzhe

Renzhe

Immune

• Member - Gold

• 859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:12

isellpens.com theoretically cannot match eBay prices. Nothing against them. Todd just said too much too soon.
Renzhe

#15 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:58

QUOTE (isellpens @ Aug 13 2007, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cant believe your statement about your prices being cheaper. I think if you look at the gotoschool site you will find that their prices leave yours for dead, especially when you look at your shipping costs which I think are off the Planet.

#16 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:59

#17 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 18:37

QUOTE (oneill @ Jul 16 2008, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cant believe your statement about your prices being cheaper. I think if you look at the gotoschool site you will find that their prices leave yours for dead, especially when you look at your shipping costs which I think are off the Planet.

i think todd serves more the USA market, not so much off the planet... like say... Australia!!! roflmho.gif

PS. some US ebay sellers won't ship outside the US.

Edited by lovemy51, 24 July 2008 - 18:41.

#18 jdboucher

jdboucher

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,332 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 17:40

QUOTE (lovemy51 @ Jul 24 2008, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (oneill @ Jul 16 2008, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think todd serves more the USA market, not so much off the planet... like say... Australia!!! roflmho.gif

PS. some US ebay sellers won't ship outside the US.

Todd does have very good prices, but when you compute shipping, for me its cheaper to buy from say Swisher's or Peartree Pens (no affiliation blah...blah...blah).

Sponsored Content

|