The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Smart ForTwo: Phat Red - Updated pictures

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 15:58

First Impressions
Introduced to coincide with the release of the Smart ForTwo micro-car here in the states, Aquila has the contract on this one, and as in times past, they show their love of all things automotive. I believe that this makes the 4th automotive design that they've brought to market (Bentley, Jaguar, and Ducati being the other 3).

BTW...here's a picture of the Smart car.

Cool pen. Funky styling that takes many cues from the popular Japanese Short/Long styling. The clip is great! Super-heavy! If you thought the rOtring 600 was heavy, wait until you get a load of this!

Here's a picture of the pen on the handy dandy Salter!

Appearance
Bright red enamel over brass, with chrome hardware all the way around. Chrome cap with a four-inch clip.

This picture didn't come out all that great, but it does show a pretty good comparison of the barrel length vs. the clip length.

Design
It's a shorter body with a longer cap, but it's still a fairly short pen. They say that it's a cartridge-only pen, but I've got a Tryphon Bantam converter coming in to try it out for fit. I hope that it'll work! Despite the length of the clip, it still holds fairly securely in the pocket, although the clip does flex a little. Although it's heavy-duty, it could bend if enough pressure was put on it.

And, believe it or not, it's fairly well-balanced in the hand. Might not be a long-session writer, but it's not horrible either. I've been able to write a letter with it (medium-length), but I doubt that any of you college students will want to take a full lecture's worth of Psych 101 notes with it.

Nib
It's a very smooth steel medium nib (the only choice, actually), which I believe is sourced from Schmidt. The heft of the pen itself gives the nib an enhanced feeling of smoothness, I've noticed.

I'm not sure what's up with this feed...looks like it was partially melted. Hasn't had any effect on the ability to write a nice line, though.

Filling System
As previously stated, short cartridges only. Let's hope that Bantam works!

Cost and Value
At SRP? The Smart isn't worth it - at least not as a daily user. They list at over $100, and for that type of money, you can find better-designed pens. But...for the price I paid, I'm not complaining. I wanted to try something new, and this is definitely something that's high on the funk factor, and certainly gets its share of looks.

Conclusion
It's a really interesting design. Funky, and fun to use. It's probably not a daily carry pen, due to the weight, but on the whole, it's pretty cool!

And I finally have an Italian in my collection again!

Edited by rroossinck, 25 July 2007 - 20:06.

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Sponsored Content

#2 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 15:34

I just ordered mine smile.gif

Did the Converter work?!?!?!?!?!

notworthy1.gif

#3 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 16:48

Can't say for positive, but I'm pretty sure that it did.

(Rats...gotta dig up those pictures and get 'em posted again.)

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#4 montblancdude

montblancdude

^^^^ You wish this pen was yours, don't you?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 17:29

Mercedes is another brand they have brought to pen making...

Maserati too.

Edited by montblancdude, 05 August 2009 - 17:29.

Loving Mont Blanc and everything fountain pen!!!!!!!!

One of the few, the proud... 14 year-old FPN'ers!!!!!! ;)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)
MY INKS: Parker Quink Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Montblanc Black

#5 dedalian

dedalian

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:34

I got this in a grey. If someone wants I ll post the pics. Overall a good pen. I got a small (Chinese?) converter that fit and works ok. I ve used the Jag and the merc pens I like the merc one but I like this one over the jag. I have big hands but I still found this pen quite comfortable and balanced.

Sponsored Content

|