The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan Level 5

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AndyHayes

AndyHayes

Too Many Pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2007 - 14:46

First Impressions
I was really taken with the packaging. It look like an upside down torch with a wing. The packaging hinges open to give access to the pen as well as the stand/ink pot. I used to design packaging, but nothing I did was this good.

Appearance
It’s a big pen, capped it is bigger than the Pelikan 805. Mine has a blue translucent body, black top and sliver trims. The body section bulges, much like my wallet before I got into fountain pens.

Design
The pen looks attractive enough with obviously modern styling. I don’t like the tapering grip section as this is very smooth and causes the fingers to slip towards the nibs. I would look more than a little stupid writing whilst wearing rubber gloves.

Nib
Fitted with a fine nib. Doesnt seem to flex without an unhealthy amount of pressure being applied to it. If you own a Rotring 600 this is much like it.

Filling System
A unique filling system through a valve at the bottom of the pen. You press the pen’s valve down onto the ink bottle (in or out of the stand) and then press the bottom of the bottle against the now upturned pen. Ink slowly dribbles into the pen. Once full remove the pen from the bottle and note that there is absolutely no mess. No reaching for tissues or kitchen towels anymore. You then twist the valve at the end and the ink runs into the feed, in theory at least. Mine took a couple of shakes to get it moving. After a minute or so the pen was ready to write. It holds a huge amount of ink.

Cost and Value
Brand new I paid £22 through electronicBay with an additional £8 for postage. I have seen it for much more on the net, so I think that I got a bargain.

Conclusion
You could get a couple of Lamy Safaris posted to you in the UK for the same amount as this, but this has the wow factor of the filling system uniqueness. A better pen altogether than the Lamy, even a pair of them. I don’t like the nib at all, no flex and fine are the worst of all worlds in my opinion. I like to write with a broader line using a flexier nib.

I would normally post pictures, but nothing that I post is likely to come up to those in the excellent review by Shaun (theshainun) so look at his review for pics Here

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content

|