Help replacing a Montblanc 146

UncleNick

I recently bought a used MB 146 online, not the best move I know but I took a chance. I love the grip size, it is just about perfect for me, as is the weight. I like a little heft to a pen and I am quite comfortable with the 146 posted. Unfortunately this sample has a hairline crack below the cap threads and it leaks. So the pen is being returned and I am looking to replace it with the same or similar (I will buy new this time around!).

My criteria are:

Similar grip section size to the 146.

Similar weight to the 146, I generally like to post my pens.

My budget is in the $300 range but I will go a little higher for a great pen (and of course I will gladly pay less!).

I would prefer a fairly large capacity.

I prefer piston fillers but could be persuaded by a good converter.

Simple styling - nothing too eye-catching.

Smooth nib.

I have read many reviews on this site but sometimes it is difficult to find the grip size and weight info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UncleNick

• georges zaslavsky

• goodguy

Pelikan M8** series?

Maybe a bit much new, but the same size and maybe a better pen?! Less showy, but more respected among pen geeks...

I recently bought a used MB 146 online, not the best move I know but I took a chance. I love the grip size, it is just about perfect for me, as is the weight. I like a little heft to a pen and I am quite comfortable with the 146 posted. Unfortunately this sample has a hairline crack below the cap threads and it leaks. So the pen is being returned and I am looking to replace it with the same or similar (I will buy new this time around!).

My criteria are:

My budget is in the $300 range but I will go a little higher for a great pen (and of course I will gladly pay less!).

Smooth nib.

I have read many reviews on this site but sometimes it is difficult to find the grip size and weight info.

Thanks,

Nick

1. Sailor 1911- C/C filler, legendary OOTB nib

2.Pelikan M 800- piston filler but a little thinner nib section, not well suited for posting.

3.Bexley Poseidon- C/C filler, shorter than M 800 or the Sailor, but just right when posted.

Thank you both for the replies. I have looked a the Sailor 1911, I do like the styling and the reputation of the nibs. Just to be sure - I've seen the 1911 in "Professional Gear", "Colors", "International" and "Full-size", am I correct in thinking the first three have similar grip sizes to the 146?

Thanks,

Nick

Have a look at

<a href="http://

<a%20href="http://nibs.com/pen_measures/"%20target="_blank">http://nibs.com/pen_measures/</a>

" target="_blank">

http://nibs.com/pen_measures/

</a>

for measurements and comparison of some pens (e.g. Sailor, Pelikan, Bexley).

Excellent links Bizkaia, just the info I've been hunting for.

Thanks,

Nick

Sorry your attempt at a 146 did not work out. A 146 can be a nice pen for looks, ergonomic feel and writing pleasure. For a torpedo shaped pen that will resemble the 146 in size you might consider an Aurora 88. The Stipula Etruria series also resemble the 146. Both the 88 and the Etruria are different pens from the 146, but both write very well and feel very good in my hand.

My criteria are:

Smooth nib.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick,

I'm not familiar with the MB 146, but I have a Danitrio Tac Carry II which has some size and weight to it, and it writes like a dream. Danitrio has lots of pens, and you canprobably find one the size of a 146. Contact Winedoc on FPN and he can help you find the right one. If the Tac Carry had an F nib instead of an M, I would have it bionically attached to my right hand. It is that good!!!

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Pilot Custom 823 from Cyberpens in the UK. $200 shipped to the USA: big inktank, awesome nib, similar size as the 146.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Some great pens here folks, thanks for the input. I am being drawn strongly towards a Sailor 1911 right now - good reviews and a reasonable price. Although the Pilot looks great also.

Nick

My criteria are:

Smooth nib.

Thanks,

Nick

I would advise against posting a 146. It's a little too big to post comfortably; maybe you could consider a 144? As alternative I would advise a Pelikan M600; it's perfectly postable and quite comfortable to hold in that position. You could also consider a M800, but it may be too big for easy posting.

I would get another MB 146.

I have a MB 146 and a MB 149 and they are amazing pens.

If not a MB pen then I would go for the Pelikam M800.I also have this pen and its a pen that is very well made and it amazing to write with.

I would also recommend the Omas Paragon (old style).

Respect to all

HI Did the MB arrive cracked? If so, did the dealer take it back or what? Was this an ebay deal? If you do not mind, I am curious. j

HI Did the MB arrive cracked? If so, did the dealer take it back or what? Was this an ebay deal? If you do not mind, I am curious. j

Yes, it was an ebay "deal", I am still waiting for contact from the seller - they have a good rep and I'll give them a couple of days with it being the weekend. It was sold as "gently used" which, looking at the pen, I would agree that is how it appears but as soon as you put ink in it the crack is apparent. I'll update on the outcome if you are interested.

I think I'm going to go with the 1911, I love that torpedo shape. Later on I may get another 146 though.

Cheers,

Nick

I bought another 146 last week end in slightly used condition and with a delightful smooth fine nib. I would try to get another 146 or to get a soveran m800.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I bought a Sailor 1911, it is slightly shorter than the 146 but posted I find it very comfortable. The nib is incredibly smooth and lays down a great line even taking notes at speed. Thank you all for the recommendations

Nick

Enjoy the 1911 and may it bring an everyday writing pleasure.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Congrats on the 1911 and may it bring you an everyday writing pleasure.

Nick, bear in mind that you can send the pen in to the MB service center and for a flat fee they will replace anything thats broken and adjust the nib if needed. It used to be 55$ plus tax and shipping. Depending on how good a deal you got on the pen and how much you like how it writes(just dip it to see) You might consider that option with perhaps some $$ refunded from the seller to help pay the costs. Good Luck...Bill