• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sheafferkid

• burmeseboyz

• Tom Pike

• Univer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm.. I would have thought for sure the groove near the end would be there intentionally. Well, if its not supposed to be there, oh well. It functions as a good spot to post the cap. I wonder how it got there? I agree that they should be more collectible, because they were made only for a year. Oh well, more for us! Now that I think about it, I believe I've only seen one other TM pen on eBay that had a similar groove. That would be a great improvement if some pen makers used something like that. It wouldn't leave posting rings as much.

Evan

Sheaffer all the way!

Guest PeteWK
Hmm.. I would have thought for sure the groove near the end would be there intentionally. Well, if its not supposed to be there, oh well. It functions as a good spot to post the cap. I wonder how it got there? I agree that they should be more collectible, because they were made only for a year. Oh well, more for us! Now that I think about it, I believe I've only seen one other TM pen on eBay that had a similar groove. That would be a great improvement if some pen makers used something like that. It wouldn't leave posting rings as much.

Evan

Hi Evan. I might have a replacement barrel for that if you're interested. I love the TD pens too. And I'm jealous of Univer's Autograph. I've never seen one with a fat barrel from 1949. I would bid it up in a second if I did!

PeteWK

Guest PeteWK
Hello Evan,

Nice review! I freely own up to being one of the heretics who prefer the Touchdown filling system to the Snorkel. Beyond the gee-whiz factor, the Snorkel seems a little bit fussy and overengineered to me. Don't get me wrong: I like 'em both. But the elegant simplicity of the Touchdown gives it the edge, in my book. Nice to see these models getting their due, and nice to see the two versions side by side.

And among the Touchdowns, I have a special fondness for the 1949 "fat" model. The combination of substantial girth, light weight, great nibs, and brilliant filling system works beautifully for me. (My 1949 Autograph TD is among my favorite pens.)

Given that this is a one-year-only model, it doesn't seem to generate a great deal of collector interest. I think they're well worth seeking out.

Cheers,

Jon

PS I also paused a moment over the posting "click." All of my barrels are smooth as well - except for one TM Sentinel that sports a very well-defined posting ring.

I would LOVE to see a picture of your 1949 TD Autograph! That's a pen I've been looking for without any luck at all. I've got one with the stainless gold trimmed cap and a small factory stub nib myself.

I'll tell you what, if you show me yours I'll show you mine.

PeteWK

I second the fact that I want to see the Autograph too!! PM me the details of the extra barrel Pete, and I'll see about it. Thanks for the kind offer!!

Evan

Sheaffer all the way!