Diamine Iridescink Herbert - A Lazy Review

A Smug Dill

Cult Pens has just released a fifth ink colour, Herbert (aka Little Herbie), in its Iridescink range produced by Diamine.
fpn_1603466083__diamine_iridescink_herbe

A note on the drying time test: My scanner isn't good enough to pick up the bit of colour left of the first '30' mark in the list, but I could see that my thumb must've been moist and had some ink from earlier rubbing activity clinging to my skin.

fpn_1603466017__diamine_iridescink_herbe

Feathering: None that I could see.

Bleed-through: None that I could see.

Sheen: Like the other Iridescink colours, Herbert is a monster sheener with dark red, almost brown sheen. One downside is that it is quite apt to smear even when seemingly dry. I scanned the page some five hours after I'd finished writing on it, and still some words got smudged against the scanner's dry glass surface. (The photo below was taken before the page was torn from the Rhodia Dotpad for scanning. None of the small writing appeared blue-black.)

fpn_1603465906__diamine_iridescink_herbe

Shading: There is shading but it can be hard to see without looking really closely, not because it is subtle, but because the overwhelming sheen distracts and interferes with the onlooker's perception.

fpn_1603465354__diamine_iridescink_herbe

Water resistance: Poor. Don't count on being able to read the faint marks left after getting the page wet; the colours that get lifted are quite staining. The piece of paper left to soak face up is more stained with blue, but the staining was more confined (only) by virtue of it being slightly concave, thus preventing the colourful mess from reaching its edges. The piece of paper left to soak face down did not fare any better with regard to legibility of the marks left behind; the blue colour that got lifted sank towards the base of the tray away from the written surface, but the grey didn't, and left dark clouds all over the page.

fpn_1603464683__diamine_iridescink_herbe

Final thoughts: I don't think I need both Herbert and Christine in the Iridescink line, but I have yet to compare them head to head to decide which is better; and resistance to smudging when 'dry' will play a significant part in my decision.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• LizEF

• yazeh

• Dimy

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the color left by the water test in the first image. Maybe they'll make "Herbie Dilute". :)

Thanks again!

Well that is quite nice colour. So its a type of ink where one rubs the fingers over the text to "add" flair......they can market the thing "little Herbie for little excitement".

Jokes aside thanks for review this might actually be useful in a way, double edged sword in a way.

Love this review format. I especially adore the Chinese.

You're more than welcome to use or adapt the review format for your own purposes, haha!

Please keep up the great work! :lol:

I always loved formulating solutions and building prototypes of (manual, automated, or hybrid) processes in support of such; and sharing the thinking and experimental findings from that 'work' is what I find most fun and worthwhile. :) So I intend to keep doing that, as I flit from one thing to the next in exploring the hobby and try to keep myself somewhat organised.

I think I'm about done with this round of revisiting/exploring ink review methodology, though; and it's time I turn my focus back to the details and mechanics of my ink cataloguing project, which is getting unduly delayed by this self-inflicted distraction due to the 'sudden' arrival of the pre-ordered new inks on the market.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I like the color left by the water test in the first image. Maybe they'll make "Herbie Dilute". :)

I just did a head-to-head comparison of Iridescinks Herbert and Christine, and they're actually as different from each other as Sailor Souboku is from Seiboku (in a somewhat analogous way, too). You'd probably like Iridescink Christine better.

Edited by A Smug Dill