The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Dried Iroshizuku Ink/s

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 penbrute

penbrute

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 20:44

I was surprised today upon finding out that some of my iroshizuku bottles of ink that haven't seen use in the last year have dried out. The bottles were all capped tightly/properly, stored in their boxes, and kept inside a drawer (so no light etc.) The affected inks are ku jaku, ama iro, yama budo if that makes any difference. Is this to be expected? Should I basically toss out the remaining ink or ... ?

Sponsored Content

#2 RJS

RJS

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 20:47

That's very unusual. I've not seen that with any bottles from any brands, even old ones.

#3 penbrute

penbrute

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 21:01

That's very unusual. I've not seen that with any bottles from any brands, even old ones.

I've never experienced this before either except in the old inkwells (but those are more exposed to air). All three bottles were completely ignored only for the last year. That said, original purchases were made much longer ago in 2014.

I have newer bottles (of irozhizuku) that are fine. I'm wondering whether iros have a shelf life of 6 years!

Edited by penbrute, 18 October 2020 - 21:03.

#4 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 21:53

Makes me think either there's a (hairline?) crack somewhere or the cap liner isn't sealing properly.

#5 RJS

RJS

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 22:09

The iroshizuku bottle caps are pretty fragile... aside from a hairline crack I'm stumped.

#6 I-am-not-really-here

I-am-not-really-here

Watch me watch you watching me watching you

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 22:14

Obviously you've got a pen imp living there.   :ninja:

#7 penbrute

penbrute

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 22:25

The good news is all bottles were down to last 20% or so. Is it safe (for fountain pens) if distilled water is used to reconstitute the inks? The inks are not bone dry, more like thick molasses.

#8 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,727 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 23:23

Yes, add distilled water and you are good to go.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#9 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 01:35

The absolute worst that can happen is that you wind up with somewhat dilute inks.  I dilute my Ku-Jaku 4:1 H2O, and it barely changes anything.

#10 Chouffleur

Chouffleur

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 02:46

The absolute worst that can happen is that you wind up with somewhat dilute inks.  I dilute my Ku-Jaku 4:1 H2O, and it barely changes anything.

And the reason you dilute it is?

TBK.jpg

Sponsored Content

|