Parker 45 Clip Question

jb500

Hi Everyone,

I have an issue with the clip on my Parker 45. The best way I can describe it is that the backside of the arrow (where it widens from the point) is rough or sharp and it frequently catches on my shirt pockets when I pull it out. When it catches it usually rips some of the threads on my shirt pocket.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem with 45 clips or if there is an easy fix? The cap reads "Made in Spain" if that matters. I don't mind buying another cap if I need to, but I don't want to have the same problem with another clip.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

--jb

"A witty saying proves nothing."--Voltaire

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jb500

• crescentfiller

• Mr.Rene

• hari317

Mr. Rene,

I appreciate the input--this makes me feel a little better about trying my chances with buying another cap if necessary.

--jb

Yeah never faced this issue with my 45s. I suggest you buy a complete new pen rather than a cap. It might cost the same.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Yeah never faced this issue with my 45s. I suggest you buy a complete new pen rather than a cap. It might cost the same.

hari317,

Thanks for this--I hadn't considered the cost of a replacement cap vs. the cost of another pen.

--jb

You can change only the clip .

Thanks jchch1950. Do you know if removing the clip is easy to do? If I can get the clip off, I may just try to file the rough spot down before replacing the clip.

--jb

Is it possible that the clip is simply too tight against the cap? I may try gently lifting it away from the cap to see if that helps.

--jb

a. You might simply try to smooth the underside of the clip a bit with some very fine sandpaper.

b. And, if you think the clip is catching because it's too tight against the cap, just bend it out a bit.

c. Easy peasy on both counts, I should think.

Good luck!

a. You might simply try to smooth the underside of the clip a bit with some very fine sandpaper.

b. And, if you think the clip is catching because it's too tight against the cap, just bend it out a bit.

c. Easy peasy on both counts, I should think.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, crescentfiller! I did gently bend the clip out a bit. I was concerned about using sandpaper because I think it would be hard to sand the clip without accidentally rubbing the cap.

--jb

Thanks for the suggestions, crescentfiller! I did gently bend the clip out a bit. I was concerned about using sandpaper because I think it would be hard to sand the clip without accidentally rubbing the cap.

--jb

Just slide a piece of paper or even aluminum foil under the clip and against the cap. Then, you can slide the sandpaper in. Lift the clip a bit when you rub the sandpaper against the clip. VERY fine grit, and just a couple of swipes, and it should do the trick!

I have not had the issue you describe, but I have poked the arrow point through a shirt pocket before. Of course I don't notice it till it catches when I try to take the pen out of my pocket. I consider that more operator error than a clip problem. Argh. 45's are still one of my favorites though.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

The Parker repair manual shows that the clip on the 45 cap is held on by a screw. You'll need something to keep the inner cap from turning, and then use something sticky to grip the screw to unscrew it. The rubber jewel tools work, and perhaps the sticky balls used for unscrewing watch backs would work. I haven't had a chance to try one.

Using a fine sandpaper to smooth the underside of the clip could be done with the clip on the pen. Use 1500 grit wet or dry sandpaper. Most hardware stores have it, or an auto body supply store should. You won't find it at Home Depot.

If you have one of the Micromesh buff sticks, you could use that to smooth the contact area on the clip with the clip off of the pen.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Just slide a piece of paper or even aluminum foil under the clip and against the cap. Then, you can slide the sandpaper in. Lift the clip a bit when you rub the sandpaper against the clip. VERY fine grit, and just a couple of swipes, and it should do the trick!

Thanks, crescentfiller--I did not think of that!

--jb

I have not had the issue you describe, but I have poked the arrow point through a shirt pocket before. Of course I don't notice it till it catches when I try to take the pen out of my pocket. I consider that more operator error than a clip problem. Argh. 45's are still one of my favorites though.

ajcoleman,

You make a good point here--I'm usually not paying a lot of attention when reaching for the pen, and if I didn't force it perhaps I'd have fewer incidents.

--jb

The Parker repair manual shows that the clip on the 45 cap is held on by a screw. You'll need something to keep the inner cap from turning, and then use something sticky to grip the screw to unscrew it. The rubber jewel tools work, and perhaps the sticky balls used for unscrewing watch backs would work. I haven't had a chance to try one.

Using a fine sandpaper to smooth the underside of the clip could be done with the clip on the pen. Use 1500 grit wet or dry sandpaper. Most hardware stores have it, or an auto body supply store should. You won't find it at Home Depot.

If you have one of the Micromesh buff sticks, you could use that to smooth the contact area on the clip with the clip off of the pen.

Ron,

Thanks so much for this information! If the problem persists, I'll work on building up my nerve to try removing the clip.

--Jb