The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker 45 Clip Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jb500

jb500

I got a lot to say...I can't remember now

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:34

Hi Everyone,

I have an issue with the clip on my Parker 45.  The best way I can describe it is that the backside of the arrow (where it widens from the point) is rough or sharp and it frequently catches on my shirt pockets when I pull it out.  When it catches it usually rips some of the threads on my shirt pocket.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem with 45 clips or if there is an easy fix?  The cap reads "Made in Spain" if that matters.  I don't mind buying another cap if I need to, but I don't want to have the same problem with another clip.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

--jb

"A witty saying proves nothing."--Voltaire

Sponsored Content

#2 Mr.Rene

Mr.Rene

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:05

Sorry to say but It does not. I have several Parker 45, USA and English made, a no issue described... :thumbup:

#3 jb500

jb500

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:34

Mr. Rene,

I appreciate the input--this makes me feel a little better about trying my chances with buying another cap if necessary.

--jb

#4 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:10

Yeah never faced this issue with my 45s. I suggest you buy a complete new pen rather than a cap. It might cost the same.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#5 jchch1950

jchch1950

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:28

You can change only the clip .

#6 jb500

jb500

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:48

Yeah never faced this issue with my 45s. I suggest you buy a complete new pen rather than a cap. It might cost the same.

hari317,

Thanks for this--I hadn't considered the cost of a replacement cap vs. the cost of another pen.

--jb

#7 jb500

jb500

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:50

You can change only the clip .

Thanks jchch1950.  Do you know if removing the clip is easy to do?  If I can get the clip off, I may just try to file the rough spot down before replacing the clip.

--jb

#8 jb500

jb500

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 13:06

Is it possible that the clip is simply too tight against the cap?  I may try gently lifting it away from the cap to see if that helps.

--jb

#9 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 18:53

a. You might simply try to smooth the underside of the clip a bit with some very fine sandpaper.

b. And, if you think the clip is catching because it's too tight against the cap, just bend it out a bit.

c. Easy peasy on both counts, I should think.

Good luck!

#10 jb500

jb500

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2020 - 20:09

a. You might simply try to smooth the underside of the clip a bit with some very fine sandpaper.

b. And, if you think the clip is catching because it's too tight against the cap, just bend it out a bit.

c. Easy peasy on both counts, I should think.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, crescentfiller!  I did gently bend the clip out a bit.  I was concerned about using sandpaper because I think it would be hard to sand the clip without accidentally rubbing the cap.

--jb

Sponsored Content

|