The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

O Ring Replacement Necessary Td?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 linkoiram

linkoiram

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2020 - 22:46

Found a sheaffer Craftsman TD today and it isn't sucking up ink, but it works well at flushing air out. I'm. In the process of ordering a new sac for it, but I'm wondering if the O ring is something that is necessary to replace, when I manipulate the TD filler it feels airtight and makes sounds as it pushes the air out of the barrel. Is replacing the o ring more trouble than it is worth? I will get the ring in case but once the new sac is fitted I'll see how well it works since replacing the o ring is something wholly separate from replacing the sac. I can always go back in and do that.

Sponsored Content

#2 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 13:51

Replace the o-ring. Its not that hard.

#3 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:13

Replacing the o ring is easy while you have the pen apart.  Go ahead and do it.

#4 linkoiram

linkoiram

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:46

Replacing the o ring is easy while you have the pen apart.  Go ahead and do it.

Yep, just did. We will see how well it works tomorrow. The o ring in it was actually in good shape but replacing it was easy too.

#5 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2020 - 19:32

If you buy a kit from some sellers, the o-ring and sac come together.  I have bought the kits from David Nashimura (not sure I spelled his name right).  There are others who sell what you need.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#6 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,248 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:17

Surprisingly easy.....

#7 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2020 - 21:42

Surprisingly easy.....

I agree. Possibly the easiest restores I have done are Touchdown fillers. Once I had some trouble with an o-ring, getting in place. Cracks in the barrel once made me replace a barrel, because the cracks caused an air leak that kept the pressure from forming to compress the sac. Peyton Street Pens has barrels, which is good news.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#8 stephenchin

stephenchin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:27

It's David Nishimura, at Vintagepens.com.  Good guy and a pioneer in materials replacement.

often when the o-rings are sort of working but intact, the rubber has hardened and the seal is only so-so.  replacing that o-ring when the pen is open is always the right choice.  just be careful about protecting those soft threads while you're digging it out!

#9 linkoiram

linkoiram

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2020 - 23:00

It's David Nishimura, at Vintagepens.com.  Good guy and a pioneer in materials replacement.

often when the o-rings are sort of working but intact, the rubber has hardened and the seal is only so-so.  replacing that o-ring when the pen is open is always the right choice.  just be careful about protecting those soft threads while you're digging it out!

The pen works fine now, one thing I do notice is that the nib moves in the section pretty easily, it is almost loose enough to move the nib off center with extra writing pressure. The nib is a #33 fine I believe.

I also just recently fixed a sheaffer admiral (I think) green striated pearl with a feathertouch nib, and that exhibits the same thing but to a lesser extent. That one also has a crack right where the threads are on the barrel. I doubt it is worth servicing it with solvent Welding because it isn't worth paying almost the cost of the pen to do that more intensive operation.

Sponsored Content

|