The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Curious Desk Pen Stand

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 linkoiram

linkoiram

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2020 - 22:16

At the local antique store I found this pen set that says "retro 1951"on it and an esterbrook desk pen with a badly bent nib. I ended up removing it but it seems the sac will still work so I'll just get a new nib for it. I noticed the esterbrook looks very similar to another I picked up today but this pen looks to have a non removable nib (or at least very tough to remove).

It seems to me that this stand isn't intended to go with the pen, but the pen seals on it and the color matches perfectly. The black esterbrook seems to not want to seal on that pen stand, which is odd to me.

Is it a retro 51 reproduction of some sort?

Attached Images

• IMG_20201017_171555903.jpg
  • IMG_20201017_171558663.jpg
  • IMG_20201017_171552026.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2020 - 22:45

Retro 51 is a brand name of a newer pen company.   My guess is that they made a desk pen and stand at some point.  You found only the stand with an Esterbrook in it.

The odd thing is that they made a desk pen set that is pretty much an exact image of the old Esterbrook stands.

http://www.retro51.c...i_desksets.html

Edited by gweimer1, 17 October 2020 - 22:49.

#3 linkoiram

linkoiram

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2020 - 22:56

Retro 51 is a brand name of a newer pen company.   My guess is that they made a desk pen and stand at some point.  You found only the stand with an Esterbrook in it.
The odd thing is that they made a desk pen set that is pretty much an exact image of the old Esterbrook stands.

http://www.retro51.c...i_desksets.html

It surprises me that it fits the esterbrook that it came with perfectly but not the other nearly identical model. Since there is a slight variation in width of the base of the section does that mean that the esterbrook "dipless" pen stands were not universal to all esterbrooks?

It seals well enough to keep the nib wet, I'll see over long term whether it will work

Edited by linkoiram, 17 October 2020 - 22:57.

Sponsored Content

|