Get This Out Of My Sight!

Kasyll

I have a nibless TWSBI 580 ALR in Nickel Gray that I want out of here. I have never before dislike something with so much passion in my life.

• You pay for shipping (CONUS, not restricted but probably not worth while to ship internationally).
  • To enter just tell us a "WTH" moment you have had (during lock down) that got you worked up for no logical reason to later reflect on it just to laugh at your overreaction.
  • Winner will be selected by random drawing on October 24th.
  • Will also include a matching bottle of ink that I equally dislike.

PIF Contents:

1x TWSBI 580 ALR in Nickel Gray w/ box, paperwork, wrench, silicone grease, etc.

1x Lamy Agate ~96% full.

Backstory: As with this cancerous hobby of fountain pens, my interest skyrocketed when I first learned there's such thing as nibmeisters (mind blown!). There was a custom grind I wanted to try to determine if it is something I wanted done to my own pen(s). This nibmeister puts you in front of their queue if you buy a pen from them... and so, killing two birds with one stone, I wanted to try a custom grind and to see what the hype with TWSBI pens are all about. Love the custom grind (significantly more so after I transplanted the nib into a different pen), hated the pen. There is nothing wrong with the pen, but the ergonomics of it does not agree with my hands, in fact, it's the only pen I have so far encountered that gives me horrible hand cramps.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kasyll

• Misfit

• bugsydog55

• InsaneRN

My WTH moment (what the heck :lticaptd: ) was the first time the CDC or some other government talking head said we didn't need to worry about surface transmission of covid after I had been diligently wiping down incoming groceries and takeout boxes for weeks. I'll never get that time back :yikes:

...I had been diligently wiping down incoming groceries and takeout boxes for weeks....

Wiping down ALL outer exposed surface area or just areas that has been handled?

Very nice of you to offer a giveaway! Not an entry, but thank you all the same. :)

Wiping down ALL outer exposed surface area or just areas that has been handled?

I do the former for waterproof packaging — milk bottles, wine bottles, vacuum-packed meat trays, ice-cream tubs, potato chips packets, etc. — because once I start wiping some part of the object with a soapy sponge and then rinsing it under the tap, I may as well just clean the entire surface area on it. For grocery items that don't have waterproof packaging that would withstand a rinse under the tap without soaking through the packaging material and wetting its contents, it depends.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

not an entry, but I sympathize.

The TWSBI 580 is the only pen I went into a shop to try and walked out saying, "oh, no, please!". The threads just seem to cut into my flesh...

So many people love it though, so it's clearly to do with how I hold my pens.

Mine would be a where instead of what in WTH

I put a mask, well this has happened twice, for my Mom in what I thought was a safe and handy place. When it was needed, I could not find it. This was usually right before we needed to go somewhere. I still don’t know where the masks are.

Mine is an entry.

Posted Image

My comment is coming from outside the reasonable shipping distance, but want to sympathise over the pen. Good for you in finding a fun way to get it out of your life. I have one rather like that, but my reaction has been more like :gaah:

(Probably due to COVID-stress than a stupid pen.)

And to add my WTH moment. Walking into the supermarket to find empty shelves everywhere with notices pasted on them about purchase restrictions. I think they forgot, when there's nothing to buy, a quantity limit is kinda irrelevant. That horse had bolted. And next to it there's a sternly worded notice about complaints or abusive behaviour not being tolerated. Um, excuse me, I'm standing here with an empty trolley (and empty cupboards at home) which means I'm not one of the hoarders nor was I involved in letting them buy more than normal retail quantities. So who is that's being abused here? To give me all these stern warnings feels like the horse is kicking too!

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I'll take a shot for this because I don't have a TWSBI. My WTH moment was loitering around and looking at pen stuff on the web. Usually doesn't get too bad but there's always the potential for a calamitous error or two. For years I had browsed around the Chinese super site called TaoBao and finally determined early in the spring to give it a try. Well, twenty minutes in, I had a cart full of unobtanium inks which didn't come to squat dollars. Some back and forth and monitoring each step and it's still good. But, like any true pen and ink addict, I failed to account for international shipping in the midst of a pandemic. That was enlightening and I cautiously accepted the cost as a "Why not!" proposition. Didn't pay attention to that until the next month's balance. OOOOPS! Well that required a bandaid or two on my hind end but at least I have a bunch of stuff coming and that will be great. Shipping was fast, China to the Netherlands to the US in two weeks. Then it got to US customs and parked itself for 4 months. I eventually got my package but it had 2 out of 9 bottles broken. After all this time I was still excited but considering everything I would have to say that when you have one of those WTH moments be prepared for frustration on a host of different issues. To make it that much better, would I do it again? WTH! Why not. All I can say is, My name is John and I have an ink problem.

im throwin my hat in on this one too . never had a twsbi . My WTH moment was when my neighbors dogs keep getting in my yard and they act like it is no big deal . Well to me it is a big deal especially when you have a dangerous breed . I have lovely dogs but I watch them like a hawk and keep them in my house at all times except for potty breaks and walks on a leash . after it all happened and I calmed down I just shook my head . thanks for doing this .

Cathy :bunny01:

:happyberet:

Name in the hat for me too.

My 1st WTH moment: During the Toilet Paper Crisis, people were looking at me funny at check out because I had notebooks. Stacks of notebooks.
My 2nd WTH moment: I built a decontamination shower in my garage.
My 3rd WTH moment: I helped two other neighbors build decontamination showers in their garages.

I think I should withdraw my entry because I have 7 TWSBI Pens.

When does that ever stop any of us from acquiring yet another pen! :P

Not in. Others would use the pen far more than I would

My WTH moment: At the beginning of the year I was in Shawn Newton’s queue for a custom pen. But it was about a year before he would get to mine. When Covid arrived I decided that life was uncertain enough that there was some risk I wouldn’t be around when my pen came up in the queue. So I ordered an ebonite Townsend that he had already made.

It is a wonderful pen, beautiful, so comfortable to hold and write with. I am glad I made the decision. I’ve had months of enjoyment

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire