Next Fountain Pen For Young Grad-Daughter? Suggestions?

Brianm_14

Any of the hundreds of inks manufactured by Sailor and Diamine would work, wouldn't it? Just stay away from R&K Sketchinks, strong iron-gall inks such as KWZ Ink Blue-Black and Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink Blue-Black. Even Diamine Shimmertastic inks would be fine to use in fountain pens, if she's into that kind of thing.

Thanks for the suggestions.

As I should have made explicit, I am thinking of which inks might be more appropriate for an 8-year old. That is, inks which do not require troublesome pen cleaning, and which would be among the easier inks tomwash out of clothes (although she has yet to have a "wardrobe/ink accident"). She has been using a Pelikan washable blue ink, and I'd like to give her at least samples of several other ink colors.

Brian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brianm_14

• ParramattaPaul

• Dimy

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my experience, Diamine inks are washable, and pens only need to be flushed with cold water for cleaning.

Edited by ParramattaPaul

Not easy, but Waterman will eventually wash out.

I guess Im surprised the choice is not a LAMY. Especially the Al Star, it can take a licking and keep on performing as a good daily writing instrument. Ive dropped mine so many times .

Edited by Estycollector

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Waterman serenity blue, will wash itself clean from paper and clothes like it never was there (personal experience).

I have yet to confirm these lot for clothes washing but all have been tested in pens and are easy to clean with water (no water resistance of any sort with them), will update after the wash has been done on cotton handkerchief in few days.

The lot includes

taccia cha (brown ink),

taccia tsuchi (golden brown-ish/ mud brown-ish)

Iroshizuku shin-kai (blue black)

PS- I managed to get iroshizuku murasaki shikibu clean from clothes relatively easily so I am hopeful for shin-kai as well. Easy from pen... obvious here, all iroshizuku I have used are easy to clean from pens honestly (only 4 used though).

Edited by Dimy

Thumbs up for Pilot Iroshizuku ink. Seems to be non-permanent.

Edited by Mangrove Jack

Last time I gift a fountain pen to a kid I go with an all metal construction with a pull off snap cap. Well nice pen those Safari , Sport or M200 but they might not be the best to take on kids' daily abuse

Thanks for the suggestions.

As I should have made explicit, I am thinking of which inks might be more appropriate for an 8-year old. That is, inks which do not require troublesome pen cleaning, and which would be among the easier inks tomwash out of clothes (although she has yet to have a "wardrobe/ink accident"). She has been using a Pelikan washable blue ink, and I'd like to give her at least samples of several other ink colors.

Parker sell a ‘Washable Black’ (in cartridges only) here in the UK.

If they also sell those in the US you might consider getting her an all-stainless-steel Parker Vector, or Frontier, or Jotter, or 45 - plus a converter so she can use whichever ‘Washable Blue’ bottled ink that she likes.

E.g. Parker Quink, Pelikan Königsblau, LAMY Blue, Waterman Serenity Blue, etc.

I can’t think of any other colours that are specifically sold as ‘washable’, but e.g. in my experience LAMY Turquoise goes down with a beautiful colour that vanishes at the first hint of water, and so do many other turquoises, blues, and reds.

I would imagine that pink inks (if she fancies those) would do the same.

The only inks that I would advise you to not give to her yet are cellulose-reactive ones, iron-galls, and ‘shimmer’ inks. All will either bind to cotton clothing, or gum-up pens if left for too long.

I’d also avoid (for now) inks that show a lot of ‘sheen’, because those will have high dye-loads, and may therefore also gum-up pens or ruin clothing/carpets/soft furnishings.

As a rule of thumb, inks that are sold by major pen manufacturers (Parker, Waterman, Sheaffer, LAMY, Pelikan, etc) are usually low-maintenance inks. The companies don’t want to be having to honour warranty claims on pens that have been gummed-up by their own inks!

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

As I promised the wash test of few inks. The method used for washing was soaking the cloth with vanish and detergent for overnight and then washing it all off. Vanish substitute should be locally available and I honestly think an overnight soak in detergent mix followed by washing machine will wash all of them. Sun dried in shade for 1 hrs.

IMG_20201029_081011.jpg

This one has following as spots from upper left following clockwise direction, Waterman Serenity Blue, Taccia Cha, Iroshizuku shin-kai and Krishna Paakezah. The black spot is sheaffer Skrip black residue from earlier.

IMG_20201029_081015.jpg

Entire mess, inks it has, apart from above mentioned, are Platinum carbon black (dark black spots), sheaffer skrip black (lighter spots), Taccia Tsuchi, R&K Sallix (spots too small to see in large frame). As mentioned above murasaki shikibu was washed away and yeak I don't have many colors.

The Results

IMG_20201030_110503.jpg

As seen all 4 are cleaned off.

IMG_20201030_110541.jpg

Rest of the mess. The inks that survived are....well ones which have been surviving every wash. Platinum carbon black, sheaffer shrip black (gets lighter every time but not gonna leave anytime soon), R&K Sallix (its there I promise, its just small spot to start with). Taccia Tsuchi cleaned itself so as there is that.

While I am at it might I recommend the new Krishna Paakezah ink, it comes in very nice looking bottle and ink is quite good too. A dark blue (teal-ish might I say) with nice sheen and safe for pen and clothes (from above).

IMG_20201024_210446.jpg

Complementary bottle :)

Happy looking then,

Cheers.

While I am at it might I recommend the new Krishna Paakezah ink, it comes in very nice looking bottle and ink is quite good too. A dark blue (teal-ish might I say) with nice sheen and safe for pen and clothes (from above).

attachicon.gif IMG_20201024_210446.jpg

Complementary bottle :)

Happy looking then,

Cheers.

Delectable.

• 1 month later...

OK I see the images of cloths I posted have been broken for odd reason (at least for me), if someone needs them or interested or is having same case as mine of broken images do tell if I should re-upload.