Next Fountain Pen For Young Grad-Daughter? Suggestions?

Brianm_14

About a year ago, I gave my VERY bright, then nearly seven-year-old grand-daughter a Pelikano pen as her first fountain pen. Her interest in using it has only grown, and she has developed a lovely hand writing with it; now I am considering what would be a good next fountain pen. She is left-handed if that makes a difference.

Suggestions? Thanks, in advance.

Brian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brianm_14

• ParramattaPaul

• Dimy

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A demonstrator, so she can see all the ink sloshing around. A TWSBI would do the job nicely. It will probably come in her favourite colour as well.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Hmm mine will differ from most but how about a Ranga slim bamboo, its a nice ebonite pen and looks like a bamboo which I think she will like, plus there are many options in nib and ebonite rod to choose from, only drawback is time taken to get it made could take 1 month or more (typical with most hand made pens).

As silverlifter has pointed out a demonstrator would be very nice option too. My pick would be Pilot Prera here not many color option though, TWSBI rules that class.

PS- I personally would warrant against diplomat magnum, the feed has some issues in general and 2 out of my 4 had it, requiring me to take the feed apart and use blade to widen the channels plus its back end where convertor goes cannot be removed (its glued from what I see) so complete repair is quite harder then it needs to be. They may have addressed the issues now as mine were bought in June 2019.

Happy hunting.

Side note: Until the thread I originally read your title as being about a young graduate who was your daughter. The missing n. :)

Anyway, I suggest a Lamy 2000. Great pen, robust, stylish yet discreet. All of those are important if she takes it to school, and in the longer term it is a satisfyingly practical pen.

There may possibly be a cheaper option for the age. :)

X

A €200 pen for a nearly 8-year old? ;-)

Side note: Until the thread I originally read your title as being about a young graduate who was your daughter. The missing n. :)

Anyway, I suggest a Lamy 2000. Great pen, robust, stylish yet discreet. All of those are important if she takes it to school, and in the longer term it is a satisfyingly practical pen.

There may possibly be a cheaper option for the age. :)

A €200 pen for a nearly 8-year old? ;-)

1.You are paying too much.

2. No price limit was set.

:)

edit: I did include an ironic comment about price at the end of my previous post. However, one could also ask what has been spent on other technology for a child. Any of them own an iPad, for example?

Edited by praxim

X

I recommend a Lamy Safari in the color of her choice with a Left hand nib.

later as she grows older you can gift her a Pelikan M200 and still later a NOS Parker 21 super or a NOS Sheaffer Triumph Imperial or a Targa.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

praxim: I know, I know. I don't mind spending the money as long as one truly loves and appreciates it. Happy to buy the kids a Kindle, but no iPad, iPhone or things of this sort.

Brianm-14-FRMS: Could sample inks be a consideration too?

1.You are paying too much.

2. No price limit was set.

:)

edit: I did include an ironic comment about price at the end of my previous post. However, one could also ask what has been spent on other technology for a child. Any of them own an iPad, for example?

I recommend a Lamy Safari in the color of her choice with a Left hand nib.

I completely agree with this recommendation. The Lamy Safari (or Al-Star) is a sturdy school pen with a proven track record and have some nibs designed for left handed users. Like the Pelikano, it has a beveled grip section that helps students develop a proper grip and fine motor skills. Finally there are a lot colors available for just about any taste.

Edited by carlos.q

Maybe a Pelikan M200. There are a lot of colours for her to choose from, also Demonstrators in various colours, they hold a lot of ink, the Pelikan steel nibs are very nice and the mechanics of the piston filler are an additional nice thing to look at if you choose a Demonstrator.

It´s probably not the cheapest choice but a good one, I would say. If you want something way cheaper, reliable and sturdy, with a great range of colours, I would probably opt for the Lamy Safari/Al-Star. And consider the Pelikan M200 as a follow up when she´s a little bit older. ;)

Edited by carola

A Pilot Ensō Plumix pen set? The nibs are superb and fun to write with, and the pen bodies are quite pleasant to use in spite of the unusual shape (with a tiny cap and no clip). The Fine ('calligraphy', in other words Stub) nib is perfectly usable for 'normal' writing, but can also produce subtle line variation suitable for Italic script.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

No need for 'left-handed' nibs. Seriously. She's developed 'a lovely handwriting' without them.

A Lamy Vista or TWSBI Eco will show the ink sloshing around, as stated up-thread.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

No need for 'left-handed' nibs. Seriously. She's developed 'a lovely handwriting' without them.

+1. Don't focus on the left-handedness, it's unnecessary.

Slightly more expensive than other options but I also would suggest a Pelikan M200.

It does depend on how careful she is, but that's up to you to judge.

I learned to write on a Pelikan 120 starting from the age of 6, that pen has aroused my love for fountain pens, so if I were an 8 year old today, I'd love to get an M200!

How about Kaweco Sport?

My first school fountain pen, at the age of 8, was Kaweco Sport V16 and I loved the ritual of refilling it every few days.

Though, I could not wait to get my very own Pelikan.

I would be cautious with Lamy Safari, girls can be picky on the aesthetics..

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT