• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• Intensity

• PithyProlix

• Honeybadgers

They do not. But I've heard they are working on water resistant inks.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Please note that those reviews are of inks of the previous formulation. The new inks have differing colors and different water resistance properties. There’s almost no point looking at old reviews, as some colors are dramatically changed and use different ingredients.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Please note that those reviews are of inks of the previous formulation. The new inks have differing colors and different water resistance properties. There’s almost no point looking at old reviews, as some colors are dramatically changed and use different ingredients.

Are there any readily available side-by-side comparisons of new and old formulations?

Not so much, but I did see one video on youtube comparing some of the old colors to the new:

and in this one is a swatch of the new Alternator Crimson and a discussion about some of the shimmer inks:

The bottles being the same for the Nemosine inks and the new BP shimmer inks as well as similar base colors for some of the old Nemosine - new BP inks makes me wonder if the new BP inks are made with the same dyes as the Nemosine inks were.

From what I’ve seen, the currently shown color swatches on the BirminghamPens website are pretty accurate. So if an ink looks more vibrant on the website than you remember, it’s because it is. Go by the colors shown on the site, and you should have a good idea of what you’ll be getting. For instance Boiler Steam BB is now a much more vibrant tealy blue—used to be a heavily grayed, translucent teal. Kier Petroleum is now more green teal and brighter than the previous version. Waterfront Dusk is more red than the blue-leaning purple from before.

Earlier in this thread I linked a brief review on 3 new colors, including water resistance tests.

Edited by Intensity

Not so much, but I did see one video on youtube comparing some of the old colors to the new:

and in this one is a swatch of the new Alternator Crimson and a discussion about some of the shimmer inks:

The bottles being the same for the Nemosine inks and the new BP shimmer inks as well as similar base colors for some of the old Nemosine - new BP inks makes me wonder if the new BP inks are made with the same dyes as the Nemosine inks were.

From what I’ve seen, the currently shown color swatches on the BirminghamPens website are pretty accurate. So if an ink looks more vibrant on the website than you remember, it’s because it is. Go by the colors shown on the site, and you should have a good idea of what you’ll be getting. For instance Boiler Steam BB is now a much more vibrant tealy blue—used to be a heavily grayed, translucent teal. Kier Petroleum is now more green teal and brighter than the previous version. Waterfront Dusk is more red than the blue-leaning purple from before.

Earlier in this thread I linked a brief review on 3 new colors, including water resistance tests.

Thank you! The new version of Waterfront Dusk is attractive, but I really liked the blue-leaning purple version and now regret not having purchased a bottle. I'll watch the Birmingham website for any future blue-leaning purples.

I also liked Alternator Crimson, the feel even more than the color.

I can't find it. Would you please provide again?

Oh it was in the other recent Birmingham Pen inks discussion thread here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/356072-new-birmingham-inks/?do=findComment&comment=4366646

If you look at those writing samples in the reddit post I linked, you can see they are very close to the swatches on the website. So I think you can extrapolate from that for the rest of the colors.

The only thing I wish is that they brought back the space themed names from Nemosine. They're mostly all east coast themes that mean nothing to me in the PNW. Also I wish they'd remake the nemosine "aeolis palus red" because that is without question the best, most perfect pure red ink ever made.

I love the Birmingham inks I have, except the Relative Cadmium (Orange) which is too light. They are particularly good at the colors I call "the mirks". Just wanted to say those are not East Coast names, they are Pittsburgh names. Anywhere but Pittsburgh they don't mean much. And Pittsburgh is not on the coast, it is almost 400 miles inland. It's almost in Ohio.

Edited by sombrueil

Hi all,

I JUST WISH I'D GET MINE!

I purchased 3 bottles of ink on the 13th with FedEx shipping and I haven't got them yet - and I live only 68 miles from Pittsburgh.

I could have got them on foot quicker.

- Sean :angry:

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Hi all,

I sent an email to Nick last night and he responded this morning informing me my ink will be shipping out today.

- Sean :)

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Hi all,

UPDATE: I finally found the time to scroll through the rest of today's emails and came across a friendly and apologetic message from Nick. It seems that him and his brother have been rushed off their feet with an avalanche of orders.

So, hold tight; the ink on the way, but its running 2-3 weeks late.

- Sean :)

I love the Birmingham inks I have, except the Relative Cadmium (Orange) which is too light. They are particularly good at the colors I call "the mirks". Just wanted to say those are not East Coast names, they are Pittsburgh names. Anywhere but Pittsburgh they don't mean much. And Pittsburgh is not on the coast, it is almost 400 miles inland. It's almost in Ohio.

Eh, anything east of new mexico counts as east coast for me :P

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I placed an order to Birmingham around mid-October. This afternoon, I just received a package from them containing 4 inks; Aluminum Oxide, Weathered Brick, Locomotive and Coking Coal. I loaded the Coking Coal in my Custom Black Stripe with a fine nib and it's a wonderful ink. It's a rather wet dark brown ink with some slight reddish undertone. From what I understand, it used to be known as Coking Coal Black, but this ink is definitely NOT black. I can't wait to finish another converter and switch to one of the other colors. I'm looking forward to using the Aluminum Oxide next.

A great deal @ $7 for 30ml.

Edit: This shipment was received after a note from Nick, apologizing for the delay in shipping. I emailed them on Sunday and Wednesday the ink was in my mailbox. They must have had a deluge of orders!

Edited by KingsCountyWriter

Eh, anything east of new mexico counts as east coast for me :P

I used to be that way until I moved to the actual East Coast. Apparently there is a lot of stuff between the Rockies and New York. Who knew?

I moved from Virginia to Colorado almost 25 years ago and am still amused by the fact that people here call Chicago "back east".

That, and the young man (high school age) who was baffled by the fact that I said "Y'all" and was from Virginia, because, as he explained to me, "Virginia's not in the south!" This caused me to wonder about the state of education in Colorado (if you define "south" as "states that are south of the Mason-Dixon line", Virginia is definitely in the south).