Fountain Pen Revolution - Blue-Black

Jamerelbe

This is the fourth and final review of four I'm posting, to showcase the new line of inks from Fountain Pen Revolution - I trust you'll forgive a little repetition!

A few months ago Fountain Pen Revolution released a new line of inks under their brand - starting with three colours, though it's now expanded to six. These inks, according to their webpage, are made in the US, in partnership with "another small family business".

Technically, Blue Black doesn't belong to the new range - and I'm not sure whether it's made by the same "small family business" as the others. It's a more "sober" ink, a dark strong blue, that according to my limited testing is more colourfast than the others. This ink would not look out of place in an official setting (where the Royal Flush Blue may be a little *too* cheery?), and I've had one of my pens inked with it constantly since it arrived in July.

Like the other 3 inks I purchased at the time, FPR Blue Black is very reasonably priced - $8.50 for a 30ml bottle - and for those who are interested, the bottles have a wide enough mouth to accommodate the largest of pens. I don't know if FPR are planning to release this in larger bottles for the more budget-conscious - for me, though, 30ml is more than enough, given the number other inks in my drawer!

A photo of the review page:

mTDgom5.jpg

A copy of the water test:

8KPHmXX.jpg

All four inks on Rhodia paper:

Tt6Et3d.jpg

All four inks on Tomoe River paper:

DE29WkD.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

• Dimy

Honestly I find it quite nice to look at plus its quite water resistant in nature which is a plus. I see some reddish sheen in last sample and fact that it is visible on writing as well on tomoe river but lacks it on others makes it have some interesting applications.

All in all a nice colored ink and a nice review thanks for that.

Thanks @Dimy, I like it too - "Blue-Black" inks are often more "dark teal" or "blue-grey", I appreciate the fact that this is a 'genuine' blue-black.

For the water test, I didn't try to wash the ink off the paper - just dropped several drops of ink onto the paper and left them for a couple of minutes - but I think that's a better representation of what will happen if you spill water onto a page of writing. If I get around to a more "drastic" water test, I'll post the results here too!

This looks interesting, and appears to be reasonably waterproof. Do you know where all this line of inks is available (I just saw the review of the Royal Flush Blue)?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This looks interesting, and appears to be reasonably waterproof. Do you know where all this line of inks is available (I just saw the review of the Royal Flush Blue)?

Hi Ruth, thanks for replying to my post! As far as I can tell, FPR inks are only available from their store at the moment: https://fprevolutionusa.com/

You can click through directly to their ink range here: https://fprevolutionusa.com/collections/fpr-fountain-pen-ink

Huh. Swear I posted a reply to this thread a couple hours ago... Oh well, here it is again:

On my phone, this looks quite purple, but here on my computer, it looks more blue-blacky. I'm thinking I may have to try it :rolleyes: next year....

Thanks for the reviews, Jamerelbe!

Huh. Swear I posted a reply to this thread a couple hours ago... Oh well, here it is again:

On my phone, this looks quite purple, but here on my computer, it looks more blue-blacky. I'm thinking I may have to try it :rolleyes: next year....

Thanks for the reviews, Jamerelbe!

Thanks Liz! Nope, definitely not purple - on some papers there's a slight hint of grey, but it really is pretty much a true blue-black :thumbup: .

Nice reviews.....of all FPR inks. :)

I remember seeing a sample writing of this particular ink a while ago. Dunked into water and all that Jazz, held well to. the paper.

To the eye it's has a silky, look. calming........... :)

Hi Ruth, thanks for replying to my post! As far as I can tell, FPR inks are only available from their store at the moment: https://fprevolutionusa.com/

You can click through directly to their ink range here: https://fprevolutionusa.com/collections/fpr-fountain-pen-ink

Thanks for posting the link. The brown looks quite nice as well. Not of course that I need any more ink.... :huh:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for posting the link. The brown looks quite nice as well. Not of course that I need any more ink.... :huh:

You're welcome - and me neither - but I'll probably end up buying some anyway... :rolleyes:

For the water test, I didn't try to wash the ink off the paper - just dropped several drops of ink onto the paper and left them for a couple of minutes - but I think that's a better representation of what will happen if you spill water onto a page of writing. If I get around to a more "drastic" water test, I'll post the results here too!

I agree with the method, mine involves something similar in one test of "opps", second is downright joke as I put the page under tap and mug below (flood and rain anyone) and then dry the page by cloth (wipe the page if ink looks resistant enough else in most cases just putting cloth and pressing is enough) ..... pretty much what would not happen in realistic situation 😁

I agree with the method, mine involves something similar in one test of "opps", second is downright joke as I put the page under tap and mug below (flood and rain anyone) and then dry the page by cloth (wipe the page if ink looks resistant enough else in most cases just putting cloth and pressing is enough) ..... pretty much what would not happen in realistic situation

Yep, it's not likely to survive a lengthy dunking - but in the case of a water (or coffee) spill that gets mopped up fairly quickly, this ink should survive fairly well!

Yep, it's not likely to survive a lengthy dunking - but in the case of a water (or coffee) spill that gets mopped up fairly quickly, this ink should survive fairly well!

It survives. I've seen a photo of it soaked in a bowl, run under water and patted dry. Quote legible.....