Sheaffer Pen With Stylepoint Nib And Plastic Touchdown Filler

pajaro

Does the pictured pen take a sac?fpn_1602272667__image.jpeg

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Mr.Rene

• Pablo

• BaronWulfraed

Are parts missing? Got this on ebay years ago, and it has been bouncing around in my spare stuff for years.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I think the pen is missing the sac guard and the sac nipple is sheared off. Not an expert. Pls wait for them.

Sorry to say but I agree..internal parts are missing :wallbash:

I think the pen is missing the sac guard and the sac nipple is sheared off. Not an expert. Pls wait for them.

Sorry to say but I agree..internal parts are missing :wallbash:

Thanks. That's what I had suspected. Anybody know what this pen is? I guess it will go back into the samples box.

After some massive photoshop work (convert from 8-bit to 16-bit, set white-point at 202 (essentially the original image wasted 20% of the available brightness range), and shoving the gamma from 1.0 to nearly 2.0 to bring out details...

The squared ends of the cap and barrel make me suspect this had been a PFM. If so, it likely also is a snorkel filler, and you are missing the entire inner workings.

fpn_1602347884__snorkel-guts.jpg

Pen pictured above is not a PFM

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

More pics:

fpn_1602351520__image.jpeg

More pics:

fpn_1602351763__image.jpeg

More:

fpn_1602351599__image.jpeg

This must have been a low cost pen, not a PFM and not a Snorkel, no tube hidden in the feed. Some kind of melding of an inexpensive pen and nib with the Touchdown filling design. Unusual with threading on the inside of the sac protector attachment.

Edited by pajaro

Yes it is a late model 1960 years...I see this kind of nib in some argentinian sheaffer made.

Contact Sam Fiorella from Pendemonium or Jim Mamoulides from Penhero. Good luck.

Yes it is a late model 1960 years...I see this kind of nib in some argentinian sheaffer made.

Contact Sam Fiorella from Pendemonium or Jim Mamoulides from Penhero. Good luck.

Thanks very much.

Hi, Pajaro.

Your pen is a Sheaffer Imperial I. You are not missing internal parts; it was a low-priced Touchdown pen with no sac protector and a plastic plunger.

You can find a good reference of it in Jim Mamoulides' PenGallery (http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferImperialsEarly.htm). And you can find a page with its repair method in Marshall and Oldfield's "Pen Repair". The pen was not designed to be repaired, so it's doable, but not so easy as in the other Touchdowns.

Although I like Touchdown Imperials, I've always avoided this pen. Not easy to repair, and I've always distrusted the Stylepoint-style nib (I've seen too many Stylepoint nibbed Sheaffer cartridge pens with section cracks at the joint between section and nib).

Regards.

Hi, Pajaro.

Your pen is a Sheaffer Imperial I. You are not missing internal parts; it was a low-priced Touchdown pen with no sac protector and a plastic plunger.

You can find a good reference of it in Jim Mamoulides' PenGallery (http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferImperialsEarly.htm). And you can find a page with its repair method in Marshall and Oldfield's "Pen Repair". The pen was not designed to be repaired, so it's doable, but not so easy as in the other Touchdowns.

Although I like Touchdown Imperials, I've always avoided this pen. Not easy to repair, and I've always distrusted the Stylepoint-style nib (I've seen too many Stylepoint nibbed Sheaffer cartridge pens with section cracks at the joint between section and nib).

Regards.

Thank you for your post. That is great information. The pen still looks pretty good. It might be possible to use something like a synthetic sac adhered with silicone cement to the section, with cement around the outer edge of the sac. The sac will have to be fitted for the Touchdown tube to slide over it. I can see how it works anyway. Another pen adventure.

I like Touchdown filling pens. I feel a rush sometimes when filling to fill them.

Thank you for your post. That is great information. The pen still looks pretty good. It might be possible to use something like a synthetic sac adhered with silicone cement to the section, with cement around the outer edge of the sac. The sac will have to be fitted for the Touchdown tube to slide over it. I can see how it works anyway. Another pen adventure.

I like Touchdown filling pens. I feel a rush sometimes when filling to fill them.

If you intend to use the pen as a Touchdown filler you will need to replace the old O-ring, which requires dissassembling the Touchdown plunger.

But that's exactly the trickier part of the repair: according to Marshall & Oldfield the handle is not screwed to the Touchdown plunger, but glued, and you will need heat, pulling and a healthy dose of patience to release it.

And, BTW, you will need also to unscrew the connector unit to access the sac nipple...

So, yes, you're right: getting it to fill will be indeed a pen adventure! :D

Edited by Pablo

Well I've repaired one of these, and it couldn't have been too traumatic an experience as I have very little memory of it. I do remember it needs a Waterman Ink-Vue sac (the larger size) with its neck trimmed.

Well I've repaired one of these, and it couldn't have been too traumatic an experience as I have very little memory of it. I do remember it needs a Waterman Ink-Vue sac (the larger size) with its neck trimmed.

Thanks for the information. Now that you write that this pen needs a Waterman Ink-Vue sac, I dimly remember reading about a Sheaffer that needed an Ink-Vue sac. Thanks again.

It's a weird pen that I've seen once or twice. Pablo's right.

Put a little silicone grease on the TD tube, your finger over the end of the barrel and push the tube down. If you hear a "chiff", leave the barrel seal well enough alone for the time being. If not, you need to replace the 0-ring inside.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.