Noodler's Blue Ghost

beezaur

A while ago I got a bottle Noodler's Blue Ghost. It is a bulletproof ink that is transparent, but flouresces blue under ultraviolet light.

INK APPURTENANCES

Is it the ink that is secondary to the pen and paper, or the pen and paper that are secondary to the ink? Regardless, clear ink deserves a clear pen, so I got a Lamy Vista (F) for the job. More important than the pen is the paper. It detracts from UV-flourescent ink to use a paper which also is UV-flourescent. Various papers will do, but you have to check before use. In order to check the paper, and to read what you write, your ghost gear is rounded out with a UV light. Lights are available from various rockhounding/geological suppliers. There is a keychain version available from www.photonlight.com for around $20. (select "covert" body, then UV color.) A good way to correspond in invisible ink might be to include of of these small lights.

WRITING CHARACTERISTICS

In my statistically insignificant sample of one, the ink does very well. No nib creep, seems to flow well, dries reasonably quickly. It is immediately visible while writing under UV light, turning from a greenish to a bluish glow as it dries.

WATERPROOFNESS

It is in fact waterproof, surviving a minute under the faucet with no apparent runs.

VISIBILITY

The ink stands out very well under most common UV sources. I have a "black light" lightbulb that I got from the grocery store or some such place. It is sufficient to make the ink readable. The UV Photon does a good job, but its beam is very narrow. The flourescent portable rockhounding type lights probably are the best, giving wide, floody illumination that causes bright flourescence over an entire page at a (somewhat) reasonable cost.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8364/img4680a1ce9.jpg

This shows the ink under a portable rockhounding type UV light. Compare to the image under "invisibility" below.

INVISIBILITY

This ink does often leave a telltale "snail trail" on the paper after it dries. However, some rubbing with a soft eraser will remove the effect and leave the ink totally invisible on most papers. The ink will not come off the paper, but if it might smear some if not completely dry. Pentel Hi-Polymer erasers are my favorites. A few papers produce the faintest blue tinge hinting at the ink's presence (if you know what to look for). Again, some paper testing is required. If you use an eraser, and unless the paper is one that leaves a faint blue tinge, this ink is utterly and completely invisible to the unaided eye.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/8153/img4679a1oh3.jpg

If you look very closely you can see a faint impression of the writing to the left of the pen. The paper is some mystery brand supplied with my Filson portfolio. Not all papers will do this.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7743/img4679a2fw4.jpg

This is the same image with the cyan channel lightness greatly increased for better contrast.

COMPARISON TO OTHERS

The only other invisible ink I have is a ballpoint made by Fisher Space. It does a good job, apart from leaving the telltale ballpoint track. The Noodler's ink does the job much better.

USES

This ink is very much an answer in search of a problem. Nonetheless it is a very cool answer! Two uses I have found are recording information that is legitimately sensitive, and corresponding with children. I find it works to supply the parents with the light, so as to avoid any "issues" with what the light might do to the child's eyes. This is the perfect ink for corresponding with Harvey the 6-foot rabbit.

HAZARDS

UV light is hazardous to human eyes. However, the doses involved in casual use of this ink arguably are negligible. For heavy duty use, for example, if you buy a rockhounding light and decide to use it a lot looking at rocks as well as lengthy invisible correspondence, it is a good idea to get some safety glasses that let the flourescent light pass but block the UV. These are usually available through the rockhounding suppliers.

Stay tuned. Pictures will be added over the next day or so. [edit 17-jul-07: UV and plain light images.]

Scott

P.S. No affiliation, just a satisfied consumer.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Edited by beezaur

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shelley

• amberleadavis

• srullens

• beezaur

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A while ago I got a bottle Noodler's Blue Ghost. It is a bulletproof ink that is transparent, but flouresces blue under ultraviolet light.

INK APPURTENANCES

Is it the ink that is secondary to the pen and paper, or the pen and paper that are secondary to the ink? Regardless, clear ink deserves a clear pen, so I got a Lamy Vista (F) for the job. More important than the pen is the paper. It detracts from UV-flourescent ink to use a paper which also is UV-flourescent. Various papers will do, but you have to check before use. In order to check the paper, and to read what you write, your ghost gear is rounded out with a UV light. Lights are available from various rockhounding/geological suppliers. There is a keychain version available from www.photonlight.com for around $20. (select "covert" body, then UV color.) A good way to correspond in invisible ink might be to include of of these small lights.

WRITING CHARACTERISTICS

In my statistically insignificant sample of one, the ink does very well. No nib creep, seems to flow well, dries reasonably quickly. It is immediately visible while writing under UV light, turning from a greenish to a bluish glow as it dries.

WATERPROOFNESS

It is in fact waterproof, surviving a minute under the faucet with no apparent runs.

VISIBILITY

The ink stands out very well under most common UV sources. I have a "black light" lightbulb that I got from the grocery store or some such place. It is sufficient to make the ink readable. The UV Photon does a good job, but its beam is very narrow. The flourescent portable rockhounding type lights probably are the best, giving wide, floody illumination that causes bright flourescence over an entire page at a (somewhat) reasonable cost.

INVISIBILITY

This ink does often leave a telltale "snail trail" on the paper after it dries. However, some rubbing with a soft eraser will remove the effect and leave the ink totally invisible on most papers. The ink will not come off the paper, but if it might smear some if not completely dry. Pentel Hi-Polymer erasers are my favorites. A few papers produce the faintest blue tinge hinting at the ink's presence (if you know what to look for). Again, some paper testing is required. If you use an eraser, and unless the paper is one that leaves a faint blue tinge, this ink is utterly and completely invisible to the unaided eye.

COMPARISON TO OTHERS

The only other invisible ink I have is a ballpoint made by Fisher Space. It does a good job, apart from leaving the telltale ballpoint track. The Noodler's ink does the job much better.

USES

This ink is very much an answer in search of a problem. Nonetheless it is a very cool answer! Two uses I have found are recording information that is legitimately sensitive, and corresponding with children. I find it works to supply the parents with the light, so as to avoid any "issues" with what the light might do to the child's eyes. This is the perfect ink for corresponding with Harvey the 6-foot rabbit.

HAZARDS

UV light is hazardous to human eyes. However, the doses involved in casual use of this ink arguably are negligible. For heavy duty use, for example, if you buy a rockhounding light and decide to use it a lot looking at rocks as well as lengthy invisible correspondence, it is a good idea to get some safety glasses that let the flourescent light pass but block the UV. These are usually available through the rockhounding suppliers.

Stay tuned. Pictures will be added over the next day or so.

Scott

P.S. No affiliation, just a satisfied consumer.

I don't think I have any use for Invisible Ink. I don't think work would want me to use it. LOL

But I think the kid would love it. Writing secret messages.

Shawn

I have maybe a use for this ink...

When reading a book I plan to make a summary of, I like to underline and mark it. But then it is not fun for the person I want to lent the book to after I have "read" it.

I though that marking the book with Blue Ghost would "damage" the book less. Cheap black light stands are easy to find here in Europe as they are used to verify that Euro banknotes are genuine.

Has anyone an opinion on that usage before I order a bottle ? (the Lamy Vista is already underway).

Jmm

One further use (not for the faint hearted) would be night clubbing, you could draw funky designs, phone numbers etc on the exposed parts of your body and then when on the dance floor and they put that light on...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

One further use (not for the faint hearted) would be night clubbing, you could draw funky designs, phone numbers etc on the exposed parts of your body and then when on the dance floor and they put that light on...
thought that noodler's bulletproof ink only works on Cellouse fiber. (Paper) but what about Cellouse Fat. I don't know about that. I guess it will just wash away when you sweat.

Shawn

I guess it will just wash away when you sweat.

I thought this was "bulletproof" ink? No washing away here, even with sweat :roflmho:

Hot mustard was never meant for steak.

Trust me it doesn't wash off. It has to wear off! Sorry for the blurry picture. I didn't have a tripod handy

post-7074-1184028988_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wizergig

"LIFE………….is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What A Ride!"

if only they sold that ink here in NZ...hey anyone who has some can you mix it with other ink, so that the normal ink shows but when you put it under a black light it also glows...just a thought but i am glad that it works on skin...actually I have heard that one of the strip clubs here uses a invisible ink so that you can come and go but do not leave a inky smudge to give away your activities to the better half...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Indeed, this stuff is hard to wash off! I spilled some on my hands and even after scrubbing with soap, I could still see the stuff under black light hours later...

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4619/inkxchangemm0.png Currently out of vials.my ink list

Ink of the moment: mix of Noodler's Lermontov, Britannia's Blue Waves, and Whiteness of the Whale

Indeed, this stuff is hard to wash off! I spilled some on my hands and even after scrubbing with soap, I could still see the stuff under black light hours later...

I may give it a try!

Shawn

After posting that picture I have trimed the lawn, cut the grass, worked on a mower, driven about 50 miles, and scrubbed my hands numerous times. I can still read the numbers.

I wonder if it would work for tatoos?

Edited by Wizergig

"LIFE………….is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What A Ride!"

If this ink is invis how can you tell if there is nib creep?? :ltcapd:

Only with a black light. I guess if you also spill the ink. it will not stain unless you have a black light on. :ltcapd: :yikes:

I saw a pic somewhere along my travels of a Vista with Blue Ghost in it. Quite possibly the coolest thing I'd seen in awhile.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Yep - this picture really is cool! I have no idea what I'd do with this ink but that Vista/Blue Ghost combination is pretty darn neat.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=23712

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

As I am nearly cross-eyed and exhausted from starting my business, finally I stole some time for a couple of quick snaps. Sorry for taking so long!

The first post is updated with pictures under natural light of a piece of paper with writing on it, and natural light plus a UV lamp showing the blue flourescence of the ink. The particular paper used (unknown brand supplied with my Filson portfolio) shows the ink a tiny bit under normal light. Most papers do not do this. I record sensitive information with the ink on other papers, and it is utterly invisible under normal lighting.

Scott

Nope-can not see it scott, maybe you can because you know what you are looking for, or I need a new monitor.

I have emailed Noodlers and asked if they have a supplier in New Zealand (I suspect not), or failing that if they will sell it directly and ship me some.

I have decided that if I can get my hands on some I am going to buy a Safari vista for it, its just too fun a toy not to use, plus a good security precaution.

It shows up reasonably well in person, not so much in the raw image, and almost not at all in the scaled down image I posted. I have posted an enhanced image in which the cyan channel has been turned waaaaay up, repeated here:

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7743/img4679a2fw4.jpg

Scott

OK - NOW I see it...