The-Thinker

What are your thoughts regarding sailor’s 110-th anniversary preparations ? What do you think they will announce ?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The-Thinker

• gerigo

• A Smug Dill

• XYZZY

i do like the new logo, it needs some time to get used to, but i feel it’s more simplistic and refined, it has a refined look to it. I feel sailor is going more towards a minimalistic approach and i can see that with their specialty nib design!

I do hope they introduce a KOP piston, it would be a direct competitor to a Pelikan or Mont Blanc, and i would see many people being inclined to purchase a KOP!

What would be even cooler is that they reintroduce the KOP with a piston and king eagle nib ! i'm hoping we see new exotic nibs !

Parallel question, what do folks think of the new logo: https://sailor.co.jp/company/corporate-identity/

Regarding your question, I have no idea. I would love to see another KOP piston filler, but I don’t know whether or not that’s a possibility.

I will never be able to not look at it as such from now on.

You are so right though.

Looks like a top-down view of a new Klingon battle cruiser... :yikes:

Looks like a top-down view of a new Klingon battle cruiser... :yikes:

Dang, I wasn't the first with the Klingon comment. I was thinking a logo for the side of a battlecruiser, but close enough.

Further down the page they also point out that it's in the new "SAILOR BLUE-Dawn" color. Whatever the pen is, maybe that will be the color?

Edited by XYZZY

While I might have been in the same boat with regard to wishes as the few who are asking for a piston KOP a few years prior, I have since developed dislike for piston fillers as they can be a pain to clean out.

I secretly would wish for a new body design, perhaps to accommodate the large no. 8 nib. That or a new nib. With the cost cutting that is happening currently at Sailor due to new management, I would imagine the more obvious choices are some sort of maki-e body on a KOP body or some exotic material on either a KOP or the smaller 1911s.

do you predict that sailor would introduce an exotic nib, or reintroduce the king eagle or cobra

While I might have been in the same boat with regard to wishes as the few who are asking for a piston KOP a few years prior, I have since developed dislike for piston fillers as they can be a pain to clean out.

I secretly would wish for a new body design, perhaps to accommodate the large no. 8 nib. That or a new nib. With the cost cutting that is happening currently at Sailor due to new management, I would imagine the more obvious choices are some sort of maki-e body on a KOP body or some exotic material on either a KOP or the smaller 1911s.

Instead of a one-off anniversary pen, I will hope for the anniversary to be a cause to release a new range of production models that are not limited to just the anniversary year.

Their standard production pens seem monotonous. Great execution, but monotonous. To my mind, the 1911/KoP are all the same pen: large/medium/small size, round/chopped ends, PMMA/Ebonite/Urushi materials.

I confess that I'm very unfamiliar with their offerings "below" the 1911 series. I know there are multiple different cheaper steel-nibbed pens, but I've mostly moved past that. I'm not trying for gold snobbery, just saying that I'm interested in seeing new models deserving prices from ¥10,000 to ¥100,000. Steel would not be a negative to me, assuming they get the same attention as the current gold nibs.

I would also like to see a converter with larger capacity, even if that means a converter that won't fit into all of the different pens (similar to how the CON-70 doesn't fit every Pilot).

As for what I "think" they will announce, I have no idea, but I think it won't be what I'm hoping for :)

Just adding it here for reference, from the link posted above

https://sailor.co.jp/company/corporate-identity/

06_logo-768x543.jpg

Using Google Translate:

"'Anchor' is a symbol of trust and hope. The ancient Greek word for 'Anchor' means 'bent arm', and ancient people have felt the invisible mysterious energy and the blessing of God in the anchor that holds the ship powerfully. It has been and will continue to be a symbol of the Sailor Pen. While keeping the "anchor" motif, which is a symbol of hope and trust, by incorporating the strength of technology and delicate Japanese aesthetics into the logo mark, it can be sublimated to the present day with the spirit of the early days of its founding, and to the future.

The logotype is based on the beautiful graphics of the early days when the soul of the Sailor Pen Co., Ltd. was founded, and the Japanese aesthetic sense of finding beauty by simplifying it.

In addition, "SAILOR BLUE-Dawn" has been set as the new CI color. The scenery seen by the founder, Kyugoro Sakata, in Kure, a port city that has long accepted continental culture. "Dawn" refers to the time when new things begin, along with the meaning of dawn. Hope for today that you may have seen in the sea in Setouchi before dawn. We should continue to see the hope in our eyes. While thinking about the origin, we will set sail for the world beyond the sea with reliable technology and aesthetic sense by Japanese handicrafts."

I like the new logo and that color. Although I'm also used to the previous logo and like the original anchor symbol on pen finials.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Instead of a one-off anniversary pen, I will hope for the anniversary to be a cause to release a new range of production models that are not limited to just the anniversary year.

Their standard production pens seem monotonous. Great execution, but monotonous. To my mind, the 1911/KoP are all the same pen: large/medium/small size, round/chopped ends, PMMA/Ebonite/Urushi materials.

I confess that I'm very unfamiliar with their offerings "below" the 1911 series. I know there are multiple different cheaper steel-nibbed pens, but I've mostly moved past that. I'm not trying for gold snobbery, just saying that I'm interested in seeing new models deserving prices from ¥10,000 to ¥100,000. Steel would not be a negative to me, assuming they get the same attention as the current gold nibs.

I would also like to see a converter with larger capacity, even if that means a converter that won't fit into all of the different pens (similar to how the CON-70 doesn't fit every Pilot).

As for what I "think" they will announce, I have no idea, but I think it won't be what I'm hoping for :)

i do agree with you, more like what the pilot did with the justus. I would like to see more exotic nibs and increase their specialty lineup to be like before (and even larger). I believe they make very well tuned nibs and i feel they can excel in that if they care to invest in more exotic nibs.

I would like a more interesting body design, even something as conservative as Pilot Izumo.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

I would like a more interesting body design, even something as conservative as Pilot Izumo.

Pardon? The Izumo is Platinum, not Pilot.

Pilot probably has enough variations already, what with the Justus, Vanishing Point/Decimo, E95, Sterling series, along with the run of the mill cigar shapes.

Are these long-standing designs in Sailor's current product catalogue, outside of the main Profit and Professional Gear product lines, not interesting enough?

10-2203.jpg 10-7117-000.jpg 10-8053.jpg 10-3013-480.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Is it terrible to say I have everyone of them:) That's what I mean. When their amazing nibs are paired with an equally stunning body design, that's when Sailors become sublime for me.

They have had an anniversary pen almost every year. So the tradition will probably continue.

Are these long-standing designs in Sailor's current product catalogue, outside of the main Profit and Professional Gear product lines, not interesting enough?
10-2203.jpg 10-7117-000.jpg 10-8053.jpg 10-3013-480.jpg

Is it terrible to say I have everyone of them:) That's what I mean.

:notworthy1:

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Is it terrible to say I have everyone of them:) That's what I mean. When their amazing nibs are paired with an equally stunning body design, that's when Sailors become sublime for me.

They have had an anniversary pen almost every year. So the tradition will probably continue.

which one is your favorite ? and what specialty nibs do you own from them ?

I had the opportunity to get both the king eagle and king cobra but decided not to purchase them because they weren't possible to use everyday. Now I very much regret this.

While I do have the special bodies, the nice thing about Sailors is that you can swap the nibs very easily because the sections are interchangeable. So I use them interchangeably frequently. I also have many of the more accessible specialty nibs and I find them all amazing because they are a joy to use especially for Mandarin writing.

At the end of the day, a bog standard ebonite KOP with gold trim in medium is still my favorite.

Edited by gerigo

I had the opportunity to get both the king eagle and king cobra but decided not to purchase them because they weren't possible to use everyday. Now I very much regret this.

While I do have the special bodies, the nice thing about Sailors is that you can swap the nibs very easily because the sections are interchangeable. So I use them interchangeably frequently. I also have many of the more accessible specialty nibs and I find them all amazing because they are a joy to use especially for Mandarin writing.

At the end of the day, a bog standard ebonite KOP with gold trim in medium is still my favorite.

i love how the KOP medium in ebonite writes, it’s a joy ! may i ask where nad when did you encounter the king eagle and cobra, were they as expensive as today ?