Sailor Promenade Discontinued

mke

Sailor has stopped the manufacture of the Sailor Promenade last August.

Still, some shops have stock. I have seen offers for 60-70 USD.

Hurry up, for that price you can get a nice pen with a 14k nib.

Sailor HP

Edited by mke

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Olya

• A Smug Dill

• mke

• Vicary

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'll bite. I looked at the link, and the Promenade seems very similar in style and shape to other Sailor models, such as the 1911/1911L. And since I don't read Japanese, I'm now curious about the differences: is the Promenade a different size or less expensive material? Have a steel vs. a gold nib? What?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The Promenade is a fantastic pen. Shaped like the 1911/1911L, it splits the difference between the two in size, and the ends are slightly more rounded. The clips have a very subtle engraved pattern and the nibs are the typically fantastic Sailor nibs. The materials are the star of the show, though, slightly translucent with a sparkle. For the money this is about as good a new pen as you can get. I'll post a picture of a Promenade side by side with a 1911...

best,

Doug

Same size as 1911 Standard, same nib and feed, differently stamped clip, more rounded ends (which affects length slightly compared to 1911 S), has the slip & seal like Platinum's 3776 Century, Prefounte etc.

The slip and seal was really its selling point and it was accordingly priced (i.e. cheapest gold nib on offer, same price as Platinum 3776 Century (and Pilot 74?) before their collective price increases).

Thanks everyone.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Where can one get it for $60-70? The cheapest I see is $90 from Pensachi, and thats in Japan, so +$20 for DHL shipping.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Where can one get it for $60-70? The cheapest I see is $90 from Pensachi, and thats in Japan, so +$20 for DHL shipping.

Sadly; with the whole pandemic, I do not think we can get the Promenade any where for under 90USD total (w/ shipping) unless you live in Japan.

I snagged one a few months before the pandemic for 78ish total (w/ shipping), having regrets that I did not get the other colors at the time! :(

EDIT: The Promenade is still an amazing bang for the buck pen for +/- 100ish.

Edited by Kasyll

There are more pens which are not produced anymore - since August. I can't look it up anymore because this night they changed their website and this August info vanished.

New Sailor HP

The old HP is still on archive.org but it is from June and the production stop info was not yet there.

Archive.org

Of course, the 60-70 USD is the price in Japan, e.g. Amazon.co.jp has it for 70-105 USD (depends on the nib).

Btw., the Profit Standard (1911) is available from $70 too.

I promised some pictures and here they are...you can see the Promenade compared to the Pro Gear Slim and Pro Gear, and the 1911L. I don't have the standard sized 1911, as it feels a little small to me. You can see the Promenade stacks up fairly well in size to the Pro Gear and 1911L, though it uses the smaller nib from PG Slim/1911 Standard. You can also see the pattern on the clip, which I find pretty classy, and you can see a bit of the sparkle in the material.

best,

Doug

9kPN83x.jpg

yD0ivxx.jpg

ieGT6Ty.jpg

KeyrDIy.jpg

Is the section of Promenade even slimmer than that of PGS?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

No, same size as the Pro Gear Slim, 1911 Standard, Lecoule, Shikiori/ProColor.

Edit: It kinda looks slimmer in the above pics, I've never measured the sections with a calliper (or whatever the precision measuring thing is called, I have measured the sections with a regular ruler though), but by feel and eye they are the same. Making a section slightly slimmer or fatter for a similar pen wouldn't be cost effective either, not that they have operated very cost effectively in the past years..... And the PGS, 1911S & Promenade use the same feed & nib, so a slimmer section wouldn't work anyway, I'd think.

Edited by Olya

They're the same...you can swap the sections between the Pro Gear Slim and the Promenade. You can't swap the caps, though- the threading is slightly different.

Best,

Doug

I think it's the photograph perspective (the Promenade was farther than the PGS), and also perhaps how far the nib sticks out on the Promenade, creating the illusion of slimness. My 14K nibs are all seated deeper into the section, more like the red PGS on the photograph.

> think it's the photograph perspective

I measured the nib size on the photo which is identical in both cases.

Then I measured the section at the point where it is smallest - the Promenade seems to be identical to the ProGear Slim.

Tomorrow, I will measure a colleague's pen - he has a Promenade. I have both types of 1911 and ProGear (but not the Slim). Then we can compare.

Meanwhile, you can find some data here.

https://goldspot.com/blogs/magazine/sailor-1911-fountain-pen-buyers-guide

OK, here are the data of the grip section, diameters [in mm]

1911 Lady: 7.9-9.5

Promenade: 9.6-10.5?

1911: 9.5-10.5

ProGear Slim?

1911L: 10.5-11.6

ProGear21: 10.4-11.6

ProGear Sigma: 10.4-11.5

KoP Std: 12.2-13.1

Caps, barrels and sections of the 1911L, ProGear21 and ProGearSigma are fully interchangeable, as you can see with the new Sailor model, the Pro1911:

fpn_1601984096__pxl_20201006_112153959.j

If someone needs a bigger grip section, this pen might be the one: Sailor bigboy

fpn_1601984154__big.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 8/23/2020 at 10:57 PM, Olya said:

To be discontinued:

Promenade, Pro Gear Sigma; possibly Millecolore, Barcarolle, and Young Profit

https://tokyoinklings.com/episodes/e002/

...‹snip›...

The Promenade has the slip and seal, is the cheapest of their gold nibbed pens and the red and blue bodies are absolutely gorgeous. I was hoping they'd expand it a bit more with more colours and advertize it better.

On 9/30/2020 at 10:58 PM, mke said:

Sailor has stopped the manufacture of the Sailor Promenade last August.

Something in Sailor's 2021–2022 Catalogue caught my eye today, and (or but) I cannot find any page for the products on either sailor.co.jp or en.sailor.co.jp, the latter of which sometimes show overseas-only models that don't appear on the former. (Yes, I've tried doctoring the URL using the apparent prefix for the model numbers.)

large.1394271624_SailorProfitLiteinSailor2021-2022Catalogue.jpg.315b7bc140ecfc0a0293832cf92d19f4.jpg

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

7 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Something in Sailor's 2021–2022 Catalogue caught my eye today, and (or but) I cannot find any page on either sailor.co.jp or en.sailor.co.jp, the latter of which sometimes show overseas-only models that don't appear on the former. (Yes, I've tried doctoring the URL using the apparent prefix for the model numbers.)

large.1394271624_SailorProfitLiteinSailor2021-2022Catalogue.jpg.315b7bc140ecfc0a0293832cf92d19f4.jpg

Amazing find!!

It looks to me like they're going to simply rebrand the Promenade as "Profit Lite"?

I'm glad the model isn't totally dead, imo it was a shame to discontinue it.

9 hours ago, Olya said:

It looks to me like they're going to simply rebrand the Promenade as "Profit Lite"?

Looking at the specifications closely, not quite:

large.345576850_SailorPromenadevsProfitLitespecifications.jpg.258d4a5b48fcbf8715fdd53b8fb6a7d3.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 10/1/2020 at 12:55 AM, Intensity said:

Sold out at Pensachi, sadly.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:09 AM, Kasyll said:

I snagged one a few months before the pandemic for 78ish total (w/ shipping), having regrets that I did not get the other colors at the time! :(

EDIT: The Promenade is still an amazing bang for the buck pen for +/- 100ish.

As much as I'm addicted to grabbing what I think are bargains only, and even a A$10 delivery charge can make the difference between whether a retailer gets my business or not, after using my first (and, at the time, only) Sailor Promenade some more I decided to bite the bullet, and bought one unit each of the other three colourways costing me an average of US$110 each. The Sailor Profit Standard is effective enough in preventing ink evaporation when capped, but the spring-loaded inner cap in the Promenade (which the Profit Standard does not have) and its slightly heavier body — oh, and the subtle glitter in the Shining Blue and Shining Red body materials — convinced me that it's still the superior pen out of those two with the same type of nibs.