The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Advice Needed. Personalization On Nakaya's.

nakaya kanji maki-e

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Barutti

Barutti

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2020 - 09:02

Dear all,

I have 2 Nakaya's, clipless versions Cigar Aka Tamenuri and Piccolo long in Kuro Tamenuri. Both comes from the dealers and now I thinking to personalize them- put my signature in Kanji. This option in Nakaya company available for new orders, but I afraid that it will be too difficult and pricy to send them old Nakaya with inquiry only for maki-e sighature..

May be there are other independent artists who can make (draw) signature in this technique on my Nakayas? 

Thank you in advance for suggestions!

Giedrius    

Sponsored Content

#2 MsRedpen

MsRedpen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:45

Giedrius,
Perhaps you can try to contact Catherine at sakurafountainpengalery in Belgium to point you to master calligraphers and artist in Kanji on fountain pens.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

#3 Barutti

Barutti

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2020 - 13:42

Its very good advice. I will do.
Thank you!

#4 vikrmbedi

vikrmbedi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2020 - 16:26

Don’t know much about major artists or prices... just following this as their designs look good. No affiliation. May be it would provide you more ideas for customisation.

https://www.instagra...kumondoh/?hl=en

#5 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 16:06

Here in the US you might contact Ernest Shin.

#6 Barutti

Barutti

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:51

Thank you gary and vikrmbedi!

I contacted them and waiting reply from Mr.Shin and  Urusi Studio BOKUMONDOH. It is only small chance, that their will accept as from disclaimer on urushi studio web side, I understand that their overloaded and prioritizes complex works for new pen. 

Let's wait the answers.

#7 Parker51

Parker51

Old dog

• Member - Gold

• 1,767 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2020 - 00:44

For the best result, would not the personalization need to be done before the final coats of lacquer and its polishing? I am asking this based on the assumption the desire would be for the personalization to not be raised above the level of the rest of the surface of the pen or to have a minimal height increase and to be incorporated/blended into the pen.

#8 Barutti

Barutti

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2020 - 06:27

It is good remark, Parker51. Thank you.

I will check this point before final order. So long, I don't have final conformations from no one. 

#9 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 2,343 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 13:58

Sample size of one:  Ernest Shin applied urushi, aka tamenuri,  to a raw Dani Sho-Genkai. [Thank you Kevin]

He also applied kanji in gold on the barrel.  It is raised which, along with the contrasting color, gives a dimensional contrast to the barrel.  It is not prominently raised, but it is above the barrel.

Although completely different than our conversation, the ishime finish also has a dimensionality to it.

gary 

Edited by gary, 01 October 2020 - 13:58.

#10 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 15:16

I would only trust trained maki-e artists with this. There are none in the West. Only Japan. Best to go through Nakaya.

#11 Barutti

Barutti

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:17

Short update about the status from my side. 

I get confirmation from Catherine at Sakura fountain pen gallery (Belgium) that Nakaya accepted to do personalization for my two Nakaya's and pens already on the way to Belgium, from there their will be shipped to Japan.  I will show final result, when pens will come back to me:)

Many thanks for your advices and Catherine for cooperation to get acceptance from Nakaya. 

Giedrius 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nakaya, kanji, maki-e

Sponsored Content

|