Waterman Carene Nib Only Weight?

het0314

I wonder that what is the value of the Gold used in the Nib of Waterman Carene. For that purpose I need to know the exact weight of the nib. But behold I am talking about the Waterman Carene which has an inlay nib. Could anyone please help to point me to any forum or post where the approximate weight of just the Nib is mentioned. I own a carene with a Fine nib. I am really eager to get a approximate answer. Could you also inform me of the heaviest solid gold nib available in any pen as of writing this post.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bemon

• BaronWulfraed

• fabri00

• het0314

I wonder that what is the value of the Gold used in the Nib of Waterman Carene. For that purpose I need to know the exact weight of the nib. But behold I am talking about the Waterman Carene which has an inlay nib. Could anyone please help to point me to any forum or post where the approximate weight of just the Nib is mentioned. I own a carene with a Fine nib. I am really eager to get a approximate answer. Could you also inform me of the heaviest solid gold nib available in any pen as of writing this post.

I have read somewhere that the value of the gold used for a nib is not significative for the selling price of the nib.

I have read somewhere that the value of the gold used for a nib is not significative for the selling price of the nib.

I think that's a safe assumption. The materials and production hours that go into a modern mass produced pen wouldn't be accurately reflected in the MSRP. The price of gold today is about $60 a gram, so assuming the nib weighs even a full gram which is unlikely it's not a huge chunk of the value of the tool.

That said maybe OP is just curious. And now I am too. Sooo anyone?

Carene nibs are 18k or 75% gold. That would be about $45/gram at today's price ($1,900). As mentioned below, the gold value is less than the manufacturing cost.

I think that's a safe assumption. The materials and production hours that go into a modern mass produced pen wouldn't be accurately reflected in the MSRP. The price of gold today is about $60 a gram, so assuming the nib weighs even a full gram which is unlikely it's not a huge chunk of the value of the tool.

That said maybe OP is just curious. And now I am too. Sooo anyone?

Carene nibs are 18k or 75% gold. That would be about $45/gram at today's price ($1,900). As mentioned below, the gold value is less than the manufacturing cost.

I'm genuinely curious to know what some our favorites here cost to produce vs MSRP. After factoring in wages, asset depreciation on machinery and other business overhead something like a Lamy 2000 or Pilot Vanishing Point might even come close where production cost vs MSRP is concerned. I guess that would still just give us wholesale prices but it would still be interesting to know.

Hi Het0314,

At first, I thought you just wanted the section weight; however, if you're looking for the weight of the actual nib, I would start contacting pen restorers like Terri at Peyton Street Pens or Ron at Main Street Pens.

I do not think anyone is going to want pull a nib on one of their beautifully functioning Carene's and risk messing something up. But pen restorers/repairers most likely have had to pull the nib and would be better able to answer this.

Curious as to why you want to know, though? :unsure: I don't want to just assume the seemingly obvious. :D

- Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Hi Het0314,

At first, I thought you just wanted the section weight; however, if you're looking for the weight of the actual nib, I would start contacting pen restorers like Terri at Peyton Street Pens or Ron at Main Street Pens.

I do not think anyone is going to want pull a nib on one of their beautifully functioning Carene's and risk messing something up. But pen restorers/repairers most likely have had to pull the nib and would be better able to answer this.

Curious as to why you want to know, though? :unsure: I don't want to just assume the seemingly obvious. :D

- Sean :)

I do have a Carene that I ruined the section on with nail polish remover. Having never handled nail polish remover I had no idea what it would do to plastic. And my wife puts this stuff on her hands??

Anyway, if someone in Toronto wants to buy it for parts and run this experiment, it's all yours! It still writes, it's just not pretty anymore. It was going up for sale anyway because it's black and gold and I prefer my gunmetal and silver Carene. I guess it's just going up for sale for a lot less now.

I do have a Carene that I ruined the section on with nail polish remover. Having never handled nail polish remover I had no idea what it would do to plastic. And my wife puts this stuff on her hands??

Nail polish is basically paint -- so nail polish remover is paint remover. Prime component is acetone. Acetone is one of the solvents that may be used to "melt" cracks back together (especially as Methyl-Ethyl Ketone [MEK] has become a really rare substance).

https://www.thoughtco.com/nail-polish-chemistry-603996

Basic clear nail polish can be made from nitrocellulose dissolved in butyl acetate or ethyl acetate.

Nail polish is basically paint -- so nail polish remover is paint remover. Prime component is acetone. Acetone is one of the solvents that may be used to "melt" cracks back together (especially as Methyl-Ethyl Ketone [MEK] has become a really rare substance).

https://www.thoughtco.com/nail-polish-chemistry-603996

My fault for not reading the nail polish remover bottle. After my wife heard me say "ah f#$k" she looked over and said "Oh, well I could have told you that was going to happen. Didn't you read what's in that stuff?" I said "No, you put it on your hands so I figured it probably didn't have the melting properties of liquid fire!"

Chances are I was going to ruin that pen anyway. I've had 4 Carenes and they all have the same issue. Ink leaks from the "horns" at the base of the nib. Someone successfully used an epoxy to seal the problem area. I tried it, and it worked to keep my fingers ink free but it looked messy. So I wanted to remove the epoxy and try again.

Anyway, it is what it is.

Heh... If it's a "proper" epoxy... You don't remove the epoxy, you remove the substrate on which it was applied! :lticaptd:

Heh... If it's a "proper" epoxy... You don't remove the epoxy, you remove the substrate on which it was applied! :lticaptd:

This is officially filed under "things I've never needed to know, and will promptly forget."

I'm just glad it wasn't a pen I value. I really like my gunmetal Carene, but the black and gold looks cheap to me. I do like how it writes though. Wetter than my silver trim version. So I still use it in it's scuffed condition from time to time.

A 14k nib from a Pelikan M400(including feed) weighs less than 1 gram. My scale doesn't go below 1 gram. My guess would be less than 1/2 gram for nib only.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain