Lamy 2000 "repair"

ADKaid

Hello all,

My Lamy 2000 barrel threads are worn so low that they will not screw into the section.

I've tried to contact Lamy several times to see about repair or replacement. They've yet to reply.

At this point I'm sick to my stomach that the pen is just sitting unused in my drawer. I've been thinking of shellacking the thing closed so I can use it again, and I've just about convinced myself.

If I were to do this, is there a glue that anyone could suggest? My thinking is that it's better to be cemented shut and used, rather than just wasting space in a drawer.

Thoughts?

ADK

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TWSBI Diamond 530 | Namiki Vanishing Point | Lamy 2000 |2X Parker '51' Navy Grey (lustr.) and Black (GF)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?” -Browning

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ADKaid

• soapytwist

• sandy101

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought 1: sounds like you need to stop taking the pen apart so frequently - the only way barrel threads are worn to that degree is by constant disassembly and reassembly. Pens are designed to have only infrequent servicing - some never get taken apart and last lifetimes.

Thought 2: don't wait for Lamy to reply, as they are notoriously bad at customer communication. The upshot is that they are astonishingly good at customer service, if you short-circuit whichever route you're supposed to use in your country, and send it directly to Heidelburg with a note saying what the problem is. They won't respond or confirm safe receipt, but they will repair your pen without charge and return it to you in fairly short order. Be aware that on 2000s they will either replace the makrolon parts or refinish the pen once they've repaired it, so don't be surprised if your shiny, worn-looking pen returns looking brand new. If you send them a vintage one they'll replace things like the clip and the section, so if you want to keep those you might be better off finding a modern donor pen to swap the parts off first.

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Stick it in an envelope and send it back to Lamy. That should do it.

Once you start adding your own concotions, Lamy don't have to do anything.

Lamy will service it. I just don't understand why people still can't seem to grasp that there's a pandemic and global recession going around - shipping, communications, everything, everywhere is being delayed. Lamy's communications aren't great at the best of times, but their service is extremely well regarded.

DO NOT TRY TO REPAIR IT YOURSELF. Firstly, your idea is a really, REALLY bad one. You'd basically be destroying the pen for no reason, making it almost completely unserviceable. And lamy won't touch it once you've done something that dumb.

And lastly, as others have said, there's a strong liklihood that you've been disassembling that pen FAR too much or accidentally cross threaded it multiple times. The 2000 may need the section off once a year at most for a little grease on a toothpick to lubricate the piston, but the pen is generally one of the best at giving you the feedback about when it needs doing by getting really stiff in a short amount of time.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Hi all,

I just got my first 2000 and one of the reasons I liked it was the section could be removed for easy flushing.

And the principal reason I won't buy a MB piston filler is because the nib/feed are glued in place with MB's infamous pink cement, IIRC.

SO,you're left twisting the piston 500x to flush the pen - which is why I like Pelikans - that screw in nib makes cleaning a breeze.

So, do I have to clean my 2000 like I'd have to clean a 146/49??!!

- Sean :unsure:

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I definitely didn't disassemble it too often, but thanks for the replies.

I didn't realize I could just send the thing in. Ha. Thanks. I'll do that.

@Honeybadgers I understand how this pandemic is affecting things around the world. I also understand how long it takes to reply to an email. Broad strokes of judgement rarely do any good. Thanks for the reply.

TWSBI Diamond 530 | Namiki Vanishing Point | Lamy 2000 |2X Parker '51' Navy Grey (lustr.) and Black (GF)

“Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?” -Browning

I bought a blue Bauhaus 2000 whose barrel wouldn't screw flush with the section. I mailed it back to Lamy and two weeks later I had a brand new pen that worked perfectly. This experience taught me to be extremely gentle about taking apart the section of a Lamy 2000. In fact I plan to leave this pen inked with the same ink for the indefinite future and to avoid taking it apart altogether.