Relaunches Of Iconic Vintage Models

como

sansenri: I had thought about what you just mentioned here, when I remembered that Omas relaunched the Dama model in a limited edition and priced it very high (I think it was even a FP/pencil or FP/bp set but I can't be sure). Omas' naming was always confusing. Here the concept of relaunching becomes blurry, as it's hard to say if Omas was just updating their product lines. For me, when I first thought about relaunching examples, it was more along the line of commemorating an iconic model in the past, with Parker Duofold Centennial Big Red being a more obvious example.

With regards to the Omas pens, it's complex. Omas made continuous slight modifications to its pens, but they were subtle so much that it's often difficult to distinguish them. To confuse us more they also kept changing names slightly and then going back to them...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• como

• sansenri

• shalitha33

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me, when I first thought about relaunching examples, it was more along the line of commemorating an iconic model in the past, with Parker Duofold Centennial Big Red being a more obvious example.

That is why I mentioned Postal by the side of Dunn, for me both iconic...

"A regular camel for ink, goes a month without a drink".

fpn_1601594297__img_20201002_120238.jpg

Dunn is probably an iconic pen. Its just they didn't last that long, so not many know about them. Dunn pens started in early 1920s and by mid 20s they were basically done.

Edited by shalitha33

So here is the latest update incorporating inputs up to Post #43:

American:

Parker Duofold Big Red/Orange

Parker 51

Sheaffer Legacy

Wahl Eversharp Skyline

Wahl Eversharp Decoband

Wahl Eversharp Signature

Conklin Crescent Filler

Waterman Man 100 Patrician

Postal Reservoir Pen

Dunn The Fountain Pen With The Little Red Pump-Handle

British:

Conway Stewart 58

Conway Stewart 100

Onoto Magna

Italian:

Omas Gentleman 1930

Omas Dama (Do you agree?)

Aurora Internazionale

Tibaldi N60

Montegrappa Elmo

German:

Pelikan M101N
Pelikan M120

Pelikan “Originals of Their Time”

Kaweco Sport

Kaweco Dia2

Other mentions that are less convincing:

Esterbrook (They don’t look like the originals?)

Noodler’s Boston Safety (Noodler is a modern new company)

Modern Mabie Todd (too ugly abd bears little resemblance to the originals)

I incorporated your input to above update. I knew little about Dunn and Postal. Thank you for the interesting historical background info!

"A regular camel for ink, goes a month without a drink".

fpn_1601594297__img_20201002_120238.jpg

Dunn is probably an iconic pen. Its just they didn't last that long, so not many know about them. Dunn pens started in early 1920s and by mid 20s they were basically done.

Edited by como

I did the update and put them both in. Thank you!

That is why I mentioned Postal by the side of Dunn, for me both iconic...

the M400 was a reissue of the original 400, after 26 years

I'm looking forward to a M400NN

Edit: 26 years: the original 400 was discontinued in 1956, the M400 was introduced in 1982

Edited by artart

I would add the Montegrappa Ammiraglio, boldly inspired to a Monte Grappa pen of 1939. The floral cap band with two tiny lateral rings is almost identical to the model of the past. On the left (top), the original Monte Grappa, on the right the Montegrappa Ammiraglio:

fpn_1602214633__amiiraglio.jpg

You can include Mentmore among the British pens. Some time ago the name was bought and a brass-bodied Chinese pen was re-badged as a Mentmore. It was not a success, thankfully, and the proud name of Mentmore was not entirely traduced. These relaunches are rarely successful. Riding on the coat-tails of a long-defunct company does not seem to be the way to go.

Regards,

Eachan

Thank you for pointing out this one. No, I wouldn’t count this one. I had thought that these cases cannot get worse than Mabie Todd’s fate, but I was wrong!

You can include Mentmore among the British pens. Some time ago the name was bought and a brass-bodied Chinese pen was re-badged as a Mentmore. It was not a success, thankfully, and the proud name of Mentmore was not entirely traduced. These relaunches are rarely successful. Riding on the coat-tails of a long-defunct company does not seem to be the way to go.

fpupulin, Thank you! This one is close. The only thing is that the original vintage Montegrappa didn’t have a model name, so I felt that Montegrappa is launching a modern pen inspired by another Montegrappa pen in the Golden Age of fountain pens. Their intention was not explicitly relaunching a well known and established model. When this pen first came out, I tried to find the exact model that this model was based off but with my limited resources, I did’t find one. Letizia Iacopini’s book had one MG pen that looked kind of like it but not quite. Now I see your photos and the ones on Chatterley’s site, I am convince that such model indeed existed. https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product/montegrappa-ammiraglio-1939-limited-edition-fountain-pen-2/

I will add this with a little question mark, though it should definitely be mentioned.

I would add the Montegrappa Ammiraglio, boldly inspired to a Monte Grappa pen of 1939. The floral cap band with two tiny lateral rings is almost identical to the model of the past. On the left (top), the original Monte Grappa, on the right the Montegrappa Ammiraglio:

fpn_1602214633__amiiraglio.jpg

sansenri: I had thought about what you just mentioned here, when I remembered that Omas relaunched the Dama model in a limited edition and priced it very high (I think it was even a FP/pencil or FP/bp set but I can't be sure). Omas' naming was always confusing. Here the concept of relaunching becomes blurry, as it's hard to say if Omas was just updating their product lines. For me, when I first thought about relaunching examples, it was more along the line of commemorating an iconic model in the past, with Parker Duofold Centennial Big Red being a more obvious example.

yes, I'm not sure, they probably also redesigned the Dama with the Paragon and Milord, but I don't own any example of the new Damas

but the Paragon and Milord should be in your list

Edited by sansenri

sansenri: Thank you for your comments. What you mentioned prompted me to dig a bit deeper into the Omas history. I can see why Milord can fit into this category but I am not sure about Paragon. Ms. Letizia Iacopini's write-up on the subject of Omas Milord and Paragon models: https://www.tenpen.it/article/milord-paragon

The Milord came from Milord of 1960s, and Paragon came from 55x facetted models (not called Paragon at the time). Here what I also find difficult to define is also what's vintage. Can Milord from 60s be called "vintage"? In a loose sense, I think it can. However it's no longer the golden ages of fountain pens. So I am going to put both models in the answers, but with Paragon question mark attached.

yes, I'm not sure, they probably also redesigned the Dama with the Paragon and Milord, but I don't own any example of the new Damas

but the Paragon and Milord should be in your list

Edited by como

So here is the latest update incorporating inputs up to Post #53:

American:

Parker Duofold Big Red/Orange

Parker 51

Sheaffer Legacy

Wahl Eversharp Skyline

Wahl Eversharp Decoband

Wahl Eversharp Signature

Conklin Crescent Filler

Waterman Man 100 Patrician

Postal Reservoir Pen

Dunn The Fountain Pen With The Little Red Pump-Handle

British:

Conway Stewart 58

Conway Stewart 100

Onoto Magna

Italian:

Omas Gentleman 1930

Omas Dama (Do you agree?)

Omas Milord

Omas Paragon (55x facetted)?

Aurora Internazionale

Tibaldi N60

Tabildi 60 (same as the vintage Tibaldi pens but larger)?

Montegrappa Elmo

Montegrappa Ammiraglio?

German:

Pelikan M101N
Pelikan M120

Pelikan “Originals of Their Time”

Kaweco Sport

Kaweco Dia2

Other mentions that are less convincing:

Esterbrook (They don’t look like the originals?)

Noodler’s Boston Safety (Noodler is a modern new company)

Modern Mabie Todd (too ugly abd bears little resemblance to the originals)

the M400 was a reissue of the original 400, after 26 years

I'm looking forward to a M400NN

Edit: 26 years: the original 400 was discontinued in 1956, the M400 was introduced in 1982

These might actually need to be counted in, maybe? ;) That is, unless you meant way more recent relaunches as this is almost 40 years after the fact... :D

These might actually need to be counted in, maybe? ;) That is, unless you meant way more recent relaunches as this is almost 40 years after the fact... :D

Also, what a way to make myself feel old. I was born in '75.

Oh, gee thanks, mana. Now you're making ME feel old (in 1975 I was in high school).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The whole Pelikan Souverän line is a revival of the Pelikan 400, just with added colors & some OS and SOS versions (super OS). And bling.

Also, what a way to make myself feel old. I was born in '75.

Off-Topic silly comment: I hope that you celebrated this year’s birthday with a new-to-you Parker 45 ;)

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png