The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

In Search Of Holy Grail Greens!

noodlers kwz diamine

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 21:34

Mine has been J Herbin Vert Empire, it's a dusky mid green, which I have in two pens; an EF Pelikan m100 shoes it lighter. I love Chiku Rin in an F Sailor 1911S, but it is barely legible.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Sponsored Content

#22 Mercian

Mercian

Egregiously prolix

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2020 - 21:59

I think that I remember hearing once that we can perceive more shades of green than we can shades of any other colour.
​As such, each of us will probably have a very particular idea of what qualifies - or does not qualify - as a ‘wow’ green, or the One Green to Rule Them All.

My own favourites include:
Parker Penman Emerald (a lovely bright green, but sadly long-discontinued);

Diamine ‘Classic Green’ - a ‘murky’ green whose colour & shading I enjoy (I seem to remember it not being hugely lubricating, but I was using it in a narrow nib on a smooth, hard-coated paper, so may be wrong);

Pelikan Edelstein Olivine - a dark-ish green that I think has a bit more gravitas than Edelstein Aventurine - I find that to be too bright for my tastes; its colour reminds me of 1980s ‘Fairy Liquid’ dish detergent.

I recommend that anyone in search of their own ‘perfect green’ has a look through the pictures in this thread.

N.B. That thread is only intended to showcase ‘snapshots’ of different inks. Whenever you see a green that you like the look of in that thread, be sure to look for Reviews of it afterwards!

The review threads will let you know about things like the ink’s lubrication, dry-time, saturation, shading, sheen, ease/difficulty of cleaning it out of a pen, does it feather? Does it bleed-through paper? Does it stain skin/clothes/furniture/pens? Is it waterproof? Is it now Unobtainium? Etc.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

#23 Mercian

Mercian

Egregiously prolix

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2020 - 22:04

After a spell of reading Bond books, I set out to add a MI6 green to my collection.

SKB Stone Green and Platinum Green scratched that itch.

Would you mind putting up pictures of writing with both of those?

I can’t find reviews of either of them  :o

mini-postcard-exc.png

#24 EDC

EDC

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:29

Would you mind putting up pictures of writing with both of those?

I can’t find reviews of either of them  :o

Here you go.

Pic originally from this review of the metal PenBBS 323.

PenBBS_323_writing_sample_04_sm.jpg

Snapped just now.

2009280815PM.jpeg

2009280815PM.jpeg

#25 Mercian

Mercian

Egregiously prolix

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2020 - 15:43

Here you go.

Thank you kindly  :thumbup:

mini-postcard-exc.png

#26 aurore

aurore

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 21:59

Neither like nor use green. But MB Irish Green is great.

#27 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:43

How about J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage?  A very well behaved green ink that is my go-to for a nice, deep color that is however very green at the same time.

+1

#28 almoore

almoore

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:12

I like Montblanc Irish Green, but I'm not sure it's a 'wow'.

+1

It's the only green I really like enough to keep loaded in a pen.

Al

#29 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,727 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2020 - 17:33

Have you check out the green thread?  A link is below in the signature line.  I personally adore the KWZI IG greens.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#30 MoriartyR

MoriartyR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2020 - 21:04

I think that I remember hearing once that we can perceive more shades of green than we can shades of any other colour.
​As such, each of us will probably have a very particular idea of what qualifies - or does not qualify - as a ‘wow’ green, or the One Green to Rule Them All.

I recommend that anyone in search of their own ‘perfect green’ has a look through the pictures in this thread.

This makes enormous sense, I think. Choosing a green ink seems to be a very personal journey. We see greens all around us - we think they are just green but they are all quite different. I suspect that what looks right depends on what shade of green complies with our individual experiences and the feelings they evoke - sitting on a grassy hill in the sun, perhaps, or walking in a shaded wood. And I guess these shades vary depending on where in the world we grew up.

I’ve got so many green inks that, for reasons I can’t explain, are not the right green. And 90% right is 100% wrong, it seems. They just don’t resonate with me. All the things I thought I wanted (how dark or light, how much or how little yellow) were wrong.

I think I finally found my green today, as it happens. It is Aurora 100th Anniversary Verde. It makes me feel relaxed and happy. But that information will likely be of no use to anyone else.

#31 Mercian

Mercian

Egregiously prolix

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2020 - 21:18

I think I finally found my green today, as it happens. It is Aurora 100th Anniversary Verde. It makes me feel relaxed and happy. But that information will likely be of no use to anyone else.

That name makes it sound like a limited-production-run ink  :(

​If you are convinced that it really is your ‘One Green to Rule Them All’, I’d buy a few bottles if I were you, and hoard them.

mini-postcard-exc.png

#32 MoriartyR

MoriartyR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2020 - 22:46

That name makes it sound like a limited-production-run ink  :(

​If you are convinced that it really is your ‘One Green to Rule Them All’, I’d buy a few bottles if I were you, and hoard them.

Yeah, I’m going to do that. I’m not sure it is limited production - it’s the only green Aurora sells and probably only the bottle design is limited - but no sense risking it. I couldn’t face searching for a match. There may be only one perfect green ink for each of us.

#33 Drawing61

Drawing61

Isle of Innisfree

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:20

Not to your taste, but my favorite is Sailor's Epinard. A very funky colour.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

#34 XYZZY

XYZZY

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2020 - 04:44

Not to your taste, but my favorite is Sailor's Epinard. A very funky colour.

I'm not a fan of green or spinach, but Sailor Epinard is one of my favorite inks. But probably not what the OP wanted, though, since it's not bright green.

#35 MoriartyR

MoriartyR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2020 - 16:48

A bright green that I thought might be marvellous is Robert Oster Verde de Rio. But now I found my green I won’t be trying it myself. I still think it looks great, though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers, kwz, diamine

Sponsored Content

|