In Search Of Holy Grail Greens!

ssataline

Mine has been J Herbin Vert Empire, it's a dusky mid green, which I have in two pens; an EF Pelikan m100 shoes it lighter. I love Chiku Rin in an F Sailor 1911S, but it is barely legible.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ssataline

• Mercian

• MoriartyR

• taike

I think that I remember hearing once that we can perceive more shades of green than we can shades of any other colour.
​As such, each of us will probably have a very particular idea of what qualifies - or does not qualify - as a ‘wow’ green, or the One Green to Rule Them All.

My own favourites include:
Parker Penman Emerald (a lovely bright green, but sadly long-discontinued);

Diamine ‘Classic Green’ - a ‘murky’ green whose colour & shading I enjoy (I seem to remember it not being hugely lubricating, but I was using it in a narrow nib on a smooth, hard-coated paper, so may be wrong);

Pelikan Edelstein Olivine - a dark-ish green that I think has a bit more gravitas than Edelstein Aventurine - I find that to be too bright for my tastes; its colour reminds me of 1980s ‘Fairy Liquid’ dish detergent.

I recommend that anyone in search of their own ‘perfect green’ has a look through the pictures in this thread.

N.B. That thread is only intended to showcase ‘snapshots’ of different inks. Whenever you see a green that you like the look of in that thread, be sure to look for Reviews of it afterwards!

The review threads will let you know about things like the ink’s lubrication, dry-time, saturation, shading, sheen, ease/difficulty of cleaning it out of a pen, does it feather? Does it bleed-through paper? Does it stain skin/clothes/furniture/pens? Is it waterproof? Is it now Unobtainium? Etc.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

After a spell of reading Bond books, I set out to add a MI6 green to my collection.

SKB Stone Green and Platinum Green scratched that itch.

Would you mind putting up pictures of writing with both of those?

I can’t find reviews of either of them :o

mini-postcard-exc.png

Neither like nor use green. But MB Irish Green is great.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

How about J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage? A very well behaved green ink that is my go-to for a nice, deep color that is however very green at the same time.

+1

Have you check out the green thread? A link is below in the signature line. I personally adore the KWZI IG greens.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I think that I remember hearing once that we can perceive more shades of green than we can shades of any other colour.

​As such, each of us will probably have a very particular idea of what qualifies - or does not qualify - as a ‘wow’ green, or the One Green to Rule Them All.

I recommend that anyone in search of their own ‘perfect green’ has a look through the pictures in this thread.

This makes enormous sense, I think. Choosing a green ink seems to be a very personal journey. We see greens all around us - we think they are just green but they are all quite different. I suspect that what looks right depends on what shade of green complies with our individual experiences and the feelings they evoke - sitting on a grassy hill in the sun, perhaps, or walking in a shaded wood. And I guess these shades vary depending on where in the world we grew up.

I’ve got so many green inks that, for reasons I can’t explain, are not the right green. And 90% right is 100% wrong, it seems. They just don’t resonate with me. All the things I thought I wanted (how dark or light, how much or how little yellow) were wrong.

I think I finally found my green today, as it happens. It is Aurora 100th Anniversary Verde. It makes me feel relaxed and happy. But that information will likely be of no use to anyone else.

I think I finally found my green today, as it happens. It is Aurora 100th Anniversary Verde. It makes me feel relaxed and happy. But that information will likely be of no use to anyone else.

That name makes it sound like a limited-production-run ink :(

​If you are convinced that it really is your ‘One Green to Rule Them All’, I’d buy a few bottles if I were you, and hoard them.

mini-postcard-exc.png

That name makes it sound like a limited-production-run ink :(

​If you are convinced that it really is your ‘One Green to Rule Them All’, I’d buy a few bottles if I were you, and hoard them.

Yeah, I’m going to do that. I’m not sure it is limited production - it’s the only green Aurora sells and probably only the bottle design is limited - but no sense risking it. I couldn’t face searching for a match. There may be only one perfect green ink for each of us.

Not to your taste, but my favorite is Sailor's Epinard. A very funky colour.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Not to your taste, but my favorite is Sailor's Epinard. A very funky colour.

I'm not a fan of green or spinach, but Sailor Epinard is one of my favorite inks. But probably not what the OP wanted, though, since it's not bright green.

A bright green that I thought might be marvellous is Robert Oster Verde de Rio. But now I found my green I won’t be trying it myself. I still think it looks great, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all. I have to say, I'm most intrigued by the SKB green. Wow. As I'm in Hong Kong, I think that's a distinct possibility. The Mont blanc is very nice, but I'm unlikely to invest in such an expensive bottle. (And hey, it's green. My tastes will likely change. In fact, the only inks that I've repurchased are Waterman Tender Purple and Pilot Blue.)

For the folks who've suggested what I might term earthy or musky inks, those don't suit. What am I missing about J. Herbin? I have never kept a bottle.

I'm going to get another bottle of Diamine Woodland and try Robert Oster Green Diamond. And I'm enjoying KWZ Grass Green. This was fun. Thanks all for the suggestions.

For the folks who've suggested what I might term earthy or musky inks, those don't suit. What am I missing about J. Herbin? I have never kept a bottle.

Dunno. Is that never had, or had several but never liked enough to keep (instead of giving away or tossing out)?

Perhaps you can try the new J. Herbin Vert Atlantide. :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

For me, the loveliest green of all is Kobe Minatogawa Lime..... Just gorgeous.

Me too. I love it.

I quite like a lot of murky greens too.

Montblanc Emerald is a lovely ink if you can still get it and Robert Oster does a lot of very good greens of different types.