A New 139. It's A No Brainer... Or Is It?

zaddick

fpn_1600883741__img_20190428_134021_031.

Exactly this, zaddick, a modded YOGD!

Very similar to a 139, but not a copy, in a modern and durable resin, with a possibility of servicing the pen, exchange the nib, etc. Could only they make it at an acceptable price...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• zaddick

• fpupulin

• como

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Zaddick, what an interesting question you've posed.

Putting aside the specific question - a modern 139, yay or nay - I prefer the 139 to the 149. I say this even though I've become more infatuated with the 149 over the past few years, especially my currently inked 1952 model and my Calligraphy Flex version. For me, the 13x series of pens simply seems timeless. It's a matter of personal taste, of course, but I generally favor a flat ended pen over a cigar shape. The look of the tie clip is so powerful that it dramatically boosts the appeal of lesser pens (who wouldn't choose a 234 1/2 with a tie clip over one with the traditional papyrus clip?).

I have to say I thought to like the most the traditional tie clip and long window... but it came with the high cap. Now I own a 1950 136, short top, three-band cap and "deco" clip and I have to say that while I still miss the long window I prefer the result to the "standard" one, so who knows...

I also prefer the silver-gold-silver band configuration, although I acknowledge that the oldest 149s come similarly outfitted.

That's right: silver-gold-silver beats gold-gold-gold... but just by a small margin.

So, would I be interested in a modern version of the 139? It's true that vintage 139s are prohibitively expensive for most penthusiasts.

And then, what makes you think a modern-day reissue would be any cheaper!?

They are also, at least from my experience, harder and more expensive to repair (and more likely to sustain even worse damage in the attempt). I can, therefore, see some value in a modern version with a resin body and synthetic piston seal. I agree that the nib would need to have some vintage-like flex - not like the nail on my early 1980's 149. If such a pen were made today, I would be quite tempted by it.

Me too. And for exactly the same reasons. Provided the price is right... which I doubt very much. Too expensive and the "modern, thus replaceable" arguments starts to crack.

But I'm not sure I would buy it. In fact, I bought a Hemingway precisely because it seemed like a modern version of a 139. Even after I had the nib reground to a slightly springier cursive italic, the pen just didn't measure up to my regular-use 139. Why not? Was it the nib, which still was too stiff? Was it the weight, which was a bit too light? Was it the orange/black combination?

Well, I know I wouldn't protest about a nice colorful pen (have no claims about Heminway's color design, for instance), neither my most valuable half, who always asks when she sees me with a new pen "what? another black pen like all those others you already own?" -provided everything else being equal, which I really doubt.

All these factors contributed, but I think the real reason is that the pen will always feel like a reproduction to me. Perhaps a better example of this point of view would be the Pelikan "Originals of Their Time" series. I am as crazy about Pelikan as I am about Montblanc and own a wide variety of vintage 100s (including several 1929 versions, which had no model number) and 100Ns. The recent replicas are almost identical to the originals and, as they are new, can be freely used without the anxiety that sometimes comes with using a rare vintage pen. But after trying one I realized I get more enjoyment from the original - from knowing that I'm writing with a pen that has been in use for 80-90 years and still gets the job done.

This argument, I can't share. I can say I also feel the vibe and the enjoyment of looking at one of my pens and saying to myself "Gosh, this one is 70, 80 years old, and look at it! not only gorgeus but perfect at its function" but then, I consider myself not a collector but a user, and taking also Pelikan as an example, my favorite is an M215, because it's replaceable, sturdy and perfectly balanced (better than "original" 400), but then, I put on it a 1950's 400 nib, because, well, you surely know why.

In that sense, I have no doubt Montblanc would be able to produce a 13x form factor with the same weight and balance than the old ones -if they meant to (yes, celluloid might have a better touch but only by a slight margin and "precious" resin is ligther than celluloid, so it would be "just" a matter of adding some weight here and there), but I doubt they'd mean to. I doubt very much they would sell them at a price that would interest me, and I doubt very very much they could put a nib on them I'd be really interested in.

To conclude, I like the idea of a modern 139, but I will always prefer the original.

To conclude, I should say I share most of your arguments and, yet, I reach to a slightly different conclusion: I'm open to a modern 13x pen in principle, it's only I have zero faith on Montblanc producing the 13x I would want to buy.

Edited by jmnav

~ zaddick:

Thank you for starting this thread.

It clarifies the various reasons why many appreciate Montblanc 139s.

That's useful to know.

Tom K.

Could only they make it at an acceptable price...

No valid reason it should cost more than a 149. Should MB decide on a 139/6 I imagine it would cost as much as, or even more that, the original in today's market. Because "Special Edition."

Add lightness and simplicate.

Pen makers can fill the wish lists of those who want a 139 pen in different colors or materials or a demo...

fpn_1600928832__20150907_114524_resized_

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Or it doesn't even have to try to hard to mimic the details when they look is vintage flat top. The Astoria in the middle is ebonite with silver trim and has the same type of "tie clip" and the 139 (and other similar era MB pens).

fpn_1600929338__20170520_133023_resized_

fpn_1600929366__20170520_132522_resized_

One could chase celluloid which MB does not have and i can't imagine would ever be willing to produce...

fpn_1600929448__20190912_103420_resized.

zaddick: These are gorgeous pens! I am not sure if I had all these, I would still want a modern 139. But I see that you want them all :D .

I do like a lot of pens. I also prefer handmade pens in general so many of those have ended up in a 139 style although not as exact replicas designed to fool anyone.

The Black Widow is not mine, but if i find one at a "reasonable" price I might cross it off the list. It is still my favorite skeleton after all these years. Although the ridiculously over the top 75th anniversary Meisterstuck skeleton is a challenger, but that breaks the 139 form factor of this discussion so I'll have to toss it aside. :D

Very similar to a 139, but not a copy, in a modern and durable resin, with a possibility of servicing the pen, exchange the nib, etc. Could only they make it at an acceptable price...

This one is a little different because it has a custom clip designed to replace the thicker clip band on the YOGD pen. The pen as new has a thinner clip ring and then MB used sort of a cap to make the band thinner for some reason. It is possible to use one of the repro clips from Max or Tom underneath the "clip ring cover" without issue. I know of one one other person who did this on a YOGD pen.

Just keep an eye out for one that someone harvested the clip off of (as it is gold and pretty heavy) as a base pen. It can happen. then you just put in a new clip and hopefully a vintage nib and off you go.

• 2 weeks later...

I had one 139 homage or what ever you might call it made some years ago, because taking my original 139 with me to the field seems a bit risky for that old gem. Plus, i had it been made without a star on the captop, which is a nice bonus. As i said somewhere else, normally no one gives a rats as for your pen, except they spot that white star, than the usual judging often enough starts off.

I like both for what they are the original for its history, piston etc and superb nib, the remake for its robustness and a nib i can let to someone to try the pen out without risking damage to it.

On the other hand, my 136es and 146es from the 50s travel with me often...

Edited by scratchofapen

Oh I am not an espert on Montblanc, but I thought Astoria made an updated replica of the 139, in ebonite with ebonite feeds and a giant #9 nib

Oh I am not an espert on Montblanc, but I thought Astoria made an updated replica of the 139, in ebonite with ebonite feeds and a giant #9 nib

You can see it in the posts above.

Edited by zaddick

Great thread! This is one pen I would order without question if it was a simple black resin 139 with piston filler and a 146 size nib or larger. One can only live in hope I guess.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

• 1 year later...
On 10/3/2020 at 9:55 PM, Ceelo said:

This is one pen I would order without question if it was a simple black resin 139 with piston filler and a 146 size nib or larger. One can only live in hope I guess.

Inspired by zaddick I've ordered mine. Matte black Ebonite, telescopic piston, silver furniture and a 50s OM duo-tone nib. 😁

Add lightness and simplicate.