Montblanc 144 Flow Issues

Bucketbrah247

I've been using this MB 144 for the past year or so. It wrote well for the first 6 months, and then developed an issue with ink flow. This is a 1990s 144 with the snap on cap and stiffer nib.

I can write about 20-30 lines on an A4 sheet before it stops flowing. I have to then either shake the pen hard or unscrew the barrel and twist the converter each time to get ink back to the nib.

I really dunno what to do about it. I'm not sure whether the feed is clogged or an entirely different issue. Some people on FPN were able to pull off the nib-feed assembly without any tools, but it seems very tightly fixed in my case, and I'm not confident enough to try too hard lest I damage something.

What would y'all suggest I do? Is there a way I could solve the problem myself, or should I simply have it serviced by Montblanc?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bucketbrah247

• pajaro

• sanesan

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, try a soak in some soapy water or a 10% ammonia water solution and then a thorough flush. It may have been clogged with dry permanent or iron gall ink. You may also try a wetter ink, something like Waterman serenity blue always flows well in my pens :)

Hi, try a soak in some soapy water or a 10% ammonia water solution and then a thorough flush. It may have been clogged with dry permanent or iron gall ink. You may also try a wetter ink, something like Waterman serenity blue always flows well in my pens :)

I've been using Montblanc's royal blue the whole time. Never used any pigmented inks. I faced issues with oxidation and fade over time on poor quality paper with Serenity blue so I stopped using that. I'll try soaking in soap water tonight. If that doesn't work, I'll look for a bottle of ammonia. How long should I leave it to soak?

I have this happen sometimes with my 144s from 1983 or from 1990. I flush the pen with one of the bulb things for ears. This flow reduction happens to me about once a month with Montblanc royal blue, permanent blue or burgundy red. It doesn't happen to me in a 144 with Irish Green. These 144s I have are one extra fine, one fine, one medium and one stub.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.