The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc 144 Flow Issues

montblanc flow issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bucketbrah247

Bucketbrah247

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:37

I've been using this MB 144 for the past year or so. It wrote well for the first 6 months, and then developed an issue with ink flow. This is a 1990s 144 with the snap on cap and stiffer nib. 

I can write about 20-30 lines on an A4 sheet before it stops flowing. I have to then either shake the pen hard or unscrew the barrel and twist the converter each time to get ink back to the nib.

I really dunno what to do about it. I'm not sure whether the feed is clogged or an entirely different issue. Some people on FPN were able to pull off the nib-feed assembly without any tools, but it seems very tightly fixed in my case, and I'm not confident enough to try too hard lest I damage something.

What would y'all suggest I do? Is there a way I could solve the problem myself, or should I simply have it serviced by Montblanc?

Sponsored Content

#2 sanesan

sanesan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2020 - 15:52

Hi, try a soak in some soapy water or a 10% ammonia water solution and then a thorough flush. It may have been clogged with dry permanent or iron gall ink. You may also try a wetter ink, something like Waterman serenity blue always flows well in my pens  :)

#3 Bucketbrah247

Bucketbrah247

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2020 - 16:07

Hi, try a soak in some soapy water or a 10% ammonia water solution and then a thorough flush. It may have been clogged with dry permanent or iron gall ink. You may also try a wetter ink, something like Waterman serenity blue always flows well in my pens  :)

I've been using Montblanc's royal blue the whole time. Never used any pigmented inks. I faced issues with oxidation and fade over time on poor quality paper with Serenity blue so I stopped using that. I'll try soaking in soap water tonight. If that doesn't work, I'll look for a bottle of ammonia. How long should I leave it to soak?

#4 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,098 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2020 - 18:11

I have this happen sometimes with my 144s from 1983 or from 1990.  I flush the pen with one of the bulb things for ears.  This flow reduction happens to me about once a month with Montblanc royal blue, permanent blue or burgundy red.  It doesn't happen to me in a 144 with Irish Green.  These 144s I have are one extra fine, one fine, one medium and one stub. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, flow issues

Sponsored Content

|