The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Damaged Lamy Nib

nibs lamy damage

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 emshore

emshore

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2020 - 14:58

I recently bought a Lamy 2000 in the mail from an official dealer. The pen came with a extra-fine nib, and I asked them to change it for a fine. The pen always wrote a little scratchy, but I read that that is typical of Lamy 2000s. The scratchiness got worse, however, and I sent it in for repairs. Bob Nurin, the official Lamy repairman, wrote me back that the nib had experienced trauma and that one of the tines was bent. I am super careful with my pens, and it certainly didn't happen with me. Could such a thing have happened when the nib was changed? A new gold nib costs $100, which is not a small amount!

Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by emshore, 21 September 2020 - 15:08.

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2020 - 22:21

A bent tine should be an easy fix

#3 emshore

emshore

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:16

Bob Nurin said that they don't fix gold nibs.  :(

#4 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2020 - 23:28

I have a Lamy 2000 EF that has gone out of alignment and become scratchy repeatedly.  I made fingernail adjustments to realign the nib and smooth it and eventually it has written a bit wider.  I asked about other Lamy nibs that would fit 2000 in this thread:  http://www.fountainp...on-a-lamy-2000/

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#5 austollie

austollie

Pelikano Super

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:40

The pen always wrote a little scratchy, but I read that that is typical of Lamy 2000s. 

Whilst finer nibs are naturally more prone to being scratchy than broader nibs, my EF L2k was perfect out the box.  I've had it for several years and it writes beautifully.  

#6 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2020 - 16:46

Whilst finer nibs are naturally more prone to being scratchy than broader nibs, my EF L2k was perfect out the box.  I've had it for several years and it writes beautifully.  

My Lamy 2000 EF wrote beautifully also for a year or so, and I can't figure what happened to it.  Now I have adjusted it back to EF, but it writes wetter.  Some pens I have used fot thirty or even fifty years and still write great.  This one a year.  Go figure.  I have read too many praises of the Lamy 2000 to think the pens are not wonderful.  I wonder if sometimes you get a lemon.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#7 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2020 - 16:48

My Lamy 2000 EF wrote beautifully also for a year or so, and I can't figure what happened to it.  Now I have adjusted it back to EF, but it writes wetter.  Some pens I have used fot thirty or even fifty years and still write great.  This one a year.  Go figure.  I have read too many praises of the Lamy 2000 to think the pens are not wonderful.  I wonder if sometimes you get a lemon.

I used to think I wanted a 2000, but the posts here provided pause.

In my inexperienced point of view, Ill remain with my Al Star and Vista being perfectly content. ;)

For me, the LAMY Al Star is the best LAMY has to offer.

Edited by Estycollector, 04 October 2020 - 16:50.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#8 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:10

I have read too many praises of the Lamy 2000 to think the pens are not wonderful.  I wonder if sometimes you get a lemon.

I'm sure there is inevitable variation from one unit to the next for any given product model. In spite of the praises — and I've been convinced by a fellow member and (formerly) prolific commenter on FPN to get one, nay, two in all — I haven't found my Lamy 2000 Bauhaus limited edition pen to be 'wonderful', and so my run-of-the-mill Makrolon version of it is just still unused and never inked in a box stashed somewhere at the back of a drawer. I hate to say this, but maybe the supposed acclaim is more about others' 'romanticism' about piston-fillers, or German manufacture, etc. I hold German manufacture in high esteem by default myself way above, say, anything made in China or USA; but I haven't found in it the level of precision and consistency I expected when it comes to fountain pens, at least not in comparison to pens from the Japanese 'Big Three' brands. That hasn't stopped me from buying numerous Rotring (4), Pelikan (≥10) and Lamy (≥10) fountain pens, but I certainly wouldn't pretend you'll get a 'wonderful' German pen on the balance of probabilities just by making a purchase, even if I still rank it a far safer bet than buying anything other than Japanese pens.

Edited by A Smug Dill, 05 October 2020 - 09:10.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nibs, lamy, damage

Sponsored Content

|