Ink The Color Of These Yams?

PithyProlix

I don't know how it compares in price to the Sailor inks where you are located, but Penlux MO Plum matches your pictures and is a wonderful ink. I never thought of myself as a purple ink person until I got a bottle of this. I realize you have already gone through round one, but I didn't see the Penlux mentioned.

Ohhhh, how you tempt me! As of now the only way I can figure how to get it is on Ebay, along with the accompanying Tangerine, for about $90 USD shipped to me. :o

But the images online do look wonderful. Thanks for the suggestion!

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PithyProlix

• ENewton

• A Smug Dill

• Carrau

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

while the Diamine inks are a great price for me at Cult Pens, some of the other brands are cheaper to get here in the US; OTOH, Cult Pens doesn't do samples. So I have to factor in shipping charges from the UK (even though I don't have to pay VAT) vs. buying a whole bottle of something I might end up not liking, unless I can get a better deal on a pen.

A 30ml bottle of Diamine ink is about as cheap, ex VAT, as a sample vial of ink as far as I'm concerned. As for shipping charges, I don't know how many US retailers will ship an order of a single sample vial free of charge domestically to customers in the US; I'll admit I haven't looked into it since it doesn't concern or benefit me one way or the other. However, if it's a matter of "buy enough on a single order and we'll ship it for free", then Cult Pens's offer of free shipping (anywhere) is far more 'generous' or 'reasonable' than any US retailer, from the perspective of a hobbyist somewhere/anywhere in the world, so if everything was priced the same, I'd still prefer to hand over £70 (~US$90 today) to Cult Pens in a single order any day. It's not that hard to put together £70 of stuff that one could want from the product catalogue; I must've spent over £600 with Cult Pens the last several weeks, with three lots of 'free' international shipping by DHL (delivered within one week halfway across the world!)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

You have some interesting selections there. I really like KWZI IG Gummiberry and IG Violet #3 [they're quite different, BTW] and am considering trying IG Violet #2. De Atramentis Aubergine is very nice, but I think of it as being much darker a purple than a lot of your first round picks. I have not tried a lot of the others, although I do have a sample of Krishna Writer's Night kicking around. And I have been looking at Diamine Monboddos Hat as something to toss in the next ink order, depending on where I order from (unfortunately, for me, while the Diamine inks are a great price for me at Cult Pens, some of the other brands are cheaper to get here in the US; OTOH, Cult Pens doesn't do samples. So I have to factor in shipping charges from the UK (even though I don't have to pay VAT) vs. buying a whole bottle of something I might end up not liking, unless I can get a better deal on a pen. And that means possibly buying a more expensive pen than I might otherwise (to get the free shipping) vs. buying from a US vendor and getting samples rather than full bottles. Admittedly I *am* going to be buying a couple of bottles of ink regardless -- Robert Oster Grey Seas and Diamine Guitar Series Pelham Blue Burst -- but it's not really cost effective to get the R.O. inks unless I'm putting in a big order (I've been keeping track of exchange rates). It was worth it for me to order inks from Cult Pen last year rather than from a US vendor, because I was buying a Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Purple Cosmos (which was largely unavailable most places at that point, and even with the exchange rate not being the most favorable, the pen was less expensive than I'd seen anywhere else and got me to the "free shipping" price point level). I had wanted one when they were first released, but couldn't really justify the added cost for the "LE" rod stock over a regular color. It wasn't until I saw the red ones were about to come out that I started looking on eBay to see if there were any used ones out there -- and when I discovered that a regular vendor was selling them in their eBay store I started to seriously look around for one.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I hear you, fellow penny-pincher! Be thankful you live in the US (I'm carefully avoiding politics ...) - here in Thailand almost everything is more expensive - often much more expensive - and more difficult to find but we more than make up for that with super-inexpensive housing, healthcare (high standard of care, too), and food (really, really yummy, of course). (And somewhat different political problems. ;) ) For Diamine you probably already know that can order directly from them, flat rate shipping £5.00 - their prices are a little higher than Cult Pens but it seems to make sense for low quantity orders. (I am seriously tempted to order their Penvent Purple Bow and 150th Anniversary Burgundy Royale ...)

Thanks for the pointer on De Atramentis Aubergine (darker is good!) and please let me know what you think of Krishna Writer's Night (at your convenience, of course).

May I ask: besides Noodler's, which inks can you get cheaper in the US? I want to have one of my US friends bring me some inks when travel starts to open up again. (Birmingham Pens' Waterfront Dusk will definitely be one of those.)

Pithy Prolix

Edited by PithyProlix

Ohhhh, how you tempt me! As of now the only way I can figure how to get it is on Ebay, along with the accompanying Tangerine, for about $90 USD shipped to me. :o

But the images online do look wonderful. Thanks for the suggestion!

Perhaps someday soon... Penlux seems to be expanding their buying options. Good luck with all your ink tests!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Perhaps someday soon... Penlux seems to be expanding their buying options. Good luck with all your ink tests!

Thanks! It just so happens Penlux wrote me back this morning. Since they do not have a dealer in Thailand they said they could sell to me directly and will write back next week after the holiday weekend.

@ Pithy Prolix -- I did not actually know that about Diamine. While that's relatively easy to get in the US, the prices at Cult Pens are lower. The problem is that I have to put in a really big order in order to get free shipping to the US, and they do not do samples.

I can get Robert Oster inks here cheaper in the US than from Cult Pens (I use a currency conversion site which gives me an estimate, but found that when I ordered from Cult Pens it was not up to the minute conversion rates....

Yeah, I love Thai food. There's a place within walking distance of my house (we've done takeout from them), but because of my husband's allergies, there's only one thing on their menu that is safe for him to eat (fortunately he does LIKE pad thai).

@ A Smug Dill -- Yes, I know about the Diamine 30 ml bottles (I have a couple). But while they may be more cost effective per ml, I prefer sample vials -- if I like an ink, I'll know that a 2-4 ml sample and I'm only out a couple of bucks; if I DON'T like an ink, I'm not just only out a couple of bucks on the sample, but I'm ALSO not stuck with more of an ink I'll never use and can't necessarily find a new home for at my local pen club (especially since the past six months we've been meeting on Zoom, not in person...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I can get Robert Oster inks here cheaper in the US than from Cult Pens (I use a currency conversion site which gives me an estimate, but found that when I ordered from Cult Pens it was not up to the minute conversion rates....

So, it happens that a friend told me earlier today that he is coming here from the US in a couple weeks. May I please ask where you order Oster inks for a good price in the US? Also, most cost effective sites to buy De Atramentis, KWZ, and Krishna?

One site is vanness1938.com, that sells all the inks for which you have expressed an interest, has competitive prices, and fast shipping that is free over $40 to US addresses (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer).

One site is vanness1938.com, that sells all the inks for which you have expressed an interest, has competitive prices, and fast shipping that is free over $40 to US addresses (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer).

I am another satisfied customer.

Oh, and does anyone sell Troublemaker inks there, please?

Shigure Inks theoretically carries them. The website lists them as sold out right now, but maybe your friend could call and discover when they will be restocked.

... I really like KWZI IG Gummiberry and IG Violet #3 [they're quite different, BTW] and am considering trying IG Violet #2. De Atramentis Aubergine is very nice, but I think of it as being much darker a purple than a lot of your first round picks. ...

I've laid out Internet images of many of the inks I've been looking at in a Google Photos album and I'm feeling a very similar vibe with KWZ Gummiberry and De Atramentis Aubergine. What do you think? (Cult/Diamine Deep Dark Purple, which is on it's way to me, also seems very similar to me ...).

PithyProlix

Waterfront Dusk is my favorite Birmingham ink. I have it in a pen right now. It doesn't have enough red to be a match for your yarns but is a lovely ink in its own right.

Yes, I see now that it is more on the blue side of purple. One review described it as a blurple. Very different from the swatch they show, which looks much more red to me, getting towards a burgundy. I agree that it's very nice for what it is.

There's nothing else of theirs that's currently on their site that I'm interested in but I understand they will have some new colors next week. They have a flat shipping price that's too high, I think, for getting one bottle only.

Edited by PithyProlix

I've laid out Internet images of many of the inks I've been looking at in a Google Photos album and I'm feeling a very similar vibe with KWZ Gummiberry and De Atramentis Aubergine. What do you think? (Cult/Diamine Deep Dark Purple, which is on it's way to me, also seems very similar to me ...).

PithyProlix

Be careful if you are ordering-there is KWZ Gummiberry, and there is KWZ IG Gummiberry available. Both are good looking purples, however, the IG version dries to a very dark purple because of the IG component, and I don't think it will resemble the color of your yams.

Yes, I see now that it is more on the blue side of purple. One review described it as a blurple. Very different from the swatch they show, which looks much more red to me, getting towards a burgundy. I agree that it's very nice for what it is.

There's nothing else of theirs that's currently on their site that I'm interested in but I understand they will have some new colors next week. They have a flat shipping price that's too high, I think, for getting one bottle only.

I also haven't bought a bottle because it seems silly to pay the shipping price. When I got my samples, the threshold for free shipping was around $30, which I met by purchasing a full set of samples and an extra sample of Waterfront Dusk, but now the threshold for free shipping is $75.

Among their other purples, I have enjoyed Phipps Verbena and Lilac Wind. Starling also looks nice, but I have not actually tried it, because it was not yet on offer when I placed my order.

Thanks! It just so happens Penlux wrote me back this morning. Since they do not have a dealer in Thailand they said they could sell to me directly and will write back next week after the holiday weekend.

I hope you like the ink as much as I do! It's also nice to know that Penlux is willing to help out their customers.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

PithyProlix

I tried a sample of Aubergine once. It really did look like a purple eggplant. So too does Diamine Damson -- very much like a dark puple/"black" plum.

eta: of the two, Damson is a lot more photoresistant. See my evidence.

Edited by Arkanabar

I tried a sample of Aubergine once. It really did look like a purple eggplant. So too does Diamine Damson -- very much like a dark puple/"black" plum.

eta: of the two, Damson is a lot more photoresistant. See my evidence.

I have long been tempted by Damson, but my experience with Grape has made me wary. Has Damson behaved well for you?

I am another satisfied customer.

I also haven't bought a bottle because it seems silly to pay the shipping price. When I got my samples, the threshold for free shipping was around $30, which I met by purchasing a full set of samples and an extra sample of Waterfront Dusk, but now the threshold for free shipping is $75.

Among their other purples, I have enjoyed Phipps Verbena and Lilac Wind. Starling also looks nice, but I have not actually tried it, because it was not yet on offer when I placed my order.

Unfortunately, with the exception of Waterfront Dusk, none of those inks are currently listed on their site but we shall see, maybe there will be something there by the end of the week as they indicated. That said, I've made two more orders of ink, I'm planning an order of Penbbs ink now, and I'm probably already way past the point of being to explain to my wife when 'yet another' order of ink is delivered ...

It turns out that it is generally cost-effective for me to order from Cult Pens and Pure Pens in the UK so, unless Birmingham Pens comes out some other too-hard-to-resist colors, I doubt I'll ask my friend to bring anything from the US.

On the way in my latest order is Diamine Inkvent Winter Miracle, a shimmering, sheening dark purple that I will use with dip pens.

Edited by PithyProlix